This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Sherlock Holmes

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Postby stargazer » Jul 15, 2014 11:42 pm

A friend came across a new (to me) Holmes movie on Netflix and we watched it a couple weeks ago. It features Ben Syder in the title role, though the only familiar face was Dominic Keating (Star Trek: Enterprise).

It was kind of a strange plot, with sea monsters and dragons (though the "Scooby Doo" solution - it's really a man in a suit, or a man controlling something - was evident right away). It was entertaining enough as a popcorn movie - steampunk London is fun - but it would likely make Holmes purists cringe.

I also thought I'd mention the 1999 animated series Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century which starts out well enough (if one allows a convoluted plot to get Holmes to the future) but quickly turns into a "Moriarity plot of the week" format. Another problem is that many episodes simply retell the originals except adapted for the future (for example, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" is set in a moon colony), even keeping similar names, so if you're familiar with the original stories there's little suspense.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 17, 2014 1:35 pm

stargazer: that sci-fi movie sounds really odd. Same with Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century. :p

Here's my review of Mitch Cullin's A Slight Trick of the Mind (2005), about an aging Holmes. It's set in 1947 England and Japan. A 2015 adaptation is currently being filmed in London, starring Laura Linney and Ian McKellen. :)

http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... ck-holmes/
220chrisTian

Previous