Sense and Silliness: All things Austen

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Sense and Silliness: All things Austen

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Wickham for sure. He was the archetypal cad and in this year, of all years, in 2017, Wickham has at least one modern alter ego. Or am I being unfair in some way?

I'll have to brush up on Jane Austen.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Movie Aristotle » Dec 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Just a note to say that I "read" (listened to) my first Jane Austen book recently. It was Pride and Prejudice. Being generally familiar with the story, it is great to finally know how all of the pieces fit together.
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantArcher » Jan 06, 2018 7:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone had played the card game "Marrying Mr. Darcy" before? A friend got it for Christmas and we played a rousing couple of games last week. Each person plays as a female character from Pride and Prejudice, and the goal is to marry your character's best match and gain the greatest number of points. It took a bit to get the rules sorted, but it was a lot of fun. ;))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby coracle » Jan 07, 2018 7:15 am

How much difference have you noticed in your views of the characters and situations, as you have got older?

The first time I met a JA character was when I was about 14, and we had an extract to study in an English class. It was where Colonel Brandon listens to Marianne playing the piano, and he clearly admires her.
We were all shocked at such an "old man" fancying a girl barely older than us! Mid 30s was nearly as old as our parents.

It made it harder to appreciate the adult relationships that the books were really about, but I enjoyed them as I grew up.

From my extreme age now, I look at these "young men" who are running their estates, taking care of their tenants, etc, in their 30s, and I am impressed! Darcy, Knightley, and so on.
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 13, 2018 10:35 pm

I have yet to actually read any of Jane Austen's works, but I have listen to three audiobooks in the last six months (Emma, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion). Of the three, Persuasion is my favorite. And I plan to listen to Pride and Prejudice next, although probably not until next month. Scarlet was tired of me saying I was going to read them and then not getting around to, and so she told me to just do the audiobooks. Scarlet is rather smart. :)

We just watched the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice. It's still my favorite of all the Jane Austen movies.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
NarniaWeb Guru
Maiden of Monday Madness

Previous