This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The MouseHunt Thread: Episode V

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The MouseHunt Thread: Episode V

Postby shastastwin » Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am

Looks like you have to use Runic String when the little mouse icon above the loot bar is active. If you hover over the mouse, it says, "Catch a Chamber Cleaver mouse to open portals early."
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby fantasia » Jun 05, 2017 10:54 am

Ahhhh... I had seen that little mouse but hadn't erm, moused over him. Thanks stwin! :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Jun 05, 2017 7:01 pm

For the record, what people are saying about supplies before going after the Acolyte:

50-60 Sand and around 100 Runic. But I can't remember if that Sand amount is if you've gotten rid of that mouse that steals Sand (I forget his name?). I need to check if you need to have more sand than that if you are still attracting him.

Sort of splitting my time between the BWRift and maps. I'm in no rush because I infinitely prefer to let someone else figure it out first so I have the most efficient path forward, haha. I've got 40 odd salt and a bunch of Runic but not enough, so I'll farm a bit more before I try for the AA.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 06, 2017 10:48 am

Gymfan15 wrote:For the record, what people are saying about supplies before going after the Acolyte:

50-60 Sand and around 100 Runic. But I can't remember if that Sand amount is if you've gotten rid of that mouse that steals Sand (I forget his name?). I need to check if you need to have more sand than that if you are still attracting him.

They say that that's what you need if you haven't got rid of him. If you're not attracting him any more, you only need 25-30 Sand.

I like the new area - I tend to stay in the basic chambers and farm cheese potions, while I read the discussions on the fora about what to expect when I venture further out. :p I've played two of the mini-games now, though, with varying success.

If I stay there and mostly farm potions, I'll probably farm loads of Tiny Sprockets as well - perhaps I'll get 500 of those before I enter the AA chamber, and thus will be able to buy a Clockwork Cog for the Codex from the shop?
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby fantasia » Jun 07, 2017 9:36 am

Your spoilers are interesting because I went in with just shy of that amount...or so I thought... but I was about 30 sand short. It took me 43 hunts to fill up the obelisk but then I realized I would not have enough for part two so I ditched with the resources I still had left.

I'm back up to 70ish time sand and 75ish Runic cheese. I'm hoping to get one more sand hallway, I think I'll be good after that, and then my goal is 100 Runic cheese before I take another stab at the Acolyte. Getting close. :) Ran out of MSC for potion conversion though so it's going slower now. :P

I'm also trying to decide if it's worth going through a Guard Barracks to lock away the Paladins. Losing all the luck on my trap until I can reverse the curse..... ouch! LOL But the other two blessings have been nice, so I may go ahead and give it a shot so the Paladins stop stealing my sand. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I've done all three mini-games and got two curses along with the three blessings. I avoided the Portal Pursuer (still haven't even caught him, and I want to bronze him at some point, which sort of defeats the purpose :p ), but I'm out of luck other than charms and LGS (ouch indeed), and one of my four portals is frozen. I need to look for those last chambers to lift the curses.

But mainly I need to farm more Ancient and Runic cheeses.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby fantasia » Jun 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Ok, this is cool. I didn't know it would save your spot in the Acolyte Chamber if you left and came back. I figured it'd be like Z's Tower or the Iceburg where if you Retreated, you reset the area. Well, I've got the Acolyte in the bag now. :P

ETA: You know, I'm kind of surprised. This IS a Grand Duke level area so I'd think they'd make it hard, you know?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Jun 09, 2017 12:14 am

Well, I was actually planning on trying my luck early with the minimum supplies, but I actually haven't been able to find an Acolyte door yet. ;)) So I'm just hunting around slowly building up supplies.

I've purposefully avoided any of the buff/debuff chambers...I didn't want to waste time and effort on them until I'm a bit better equipped to beat them. Plus I didn't want to spend the resources on them.

We'll see if this strategy pays off...lol.

ETA: Just after complaining, I got my Acolyte Chamber. Let's see how this goes!
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby fantasia » Jun 09, 2017 7:35 am

Good luck Gymmie! :)

I just caught my first Absolute Acolyte. Yay! :) All of the mice in the new area have been caught ;)

And I see the trade off for being able to return to the same spot you left at in the Acolyte Chamber. Upon catching the Acolyte Mouse I lost all blessings, all of my time sand and the hourglass, and have started over from scratch except for the cheese. So that's why there's the suggestion of starting with 50 to 60 sand, because even though that wasn't enough for me personally, I wasted about 30 sand because I couldn't save it.

I am also now the proud owner of the Riftwalker Codex. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 09, 2017 6:06 pm

I am so confused and over my head in this area. . . . Probably because early on I got struck with a curse that takes away all of my trap's luck.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Jun 11, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm by no means an expert on this area, but if you need specific advice DiGs, I'd be happy to try to help. I had that same curse but just went through a security portal to get rid of it.
The Standard portals seem to go
Gearworks -> Ancient -> Runic -> Timewarp -> Acolyte
The curses are totally worth risking for the blessings. Especially get rid of the Portal Paladins before collecting sand.
If you need to get through a hallway quickly, Rift Vacuum charms' loot counts.
If you don't get a portal you want, it seems to be a lot cheaper to do something like a Gearworks and then catch a portal opening mouse when he becomes available instead of buying a portal shuffler.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 12, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't quite understand how you get a "blessing" rather than a curse. . . I have the one that seals away Portal Paladins, but I don't even know how I got it.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

You get it from completing the Guard Barracks portal. You still get the blessings even if you get the curses too. Hover over the blessings and curses on the HUD and it will show which hallway goes with which blessing /curse combo.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Just as an FYI, you can buy and sell Ancient String Cheese on the marketplace. . . It's selling for about 30K a piece.

So If you need some cash, it's a nice little side-gig
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » Jun 13, 2017 6:07 am

That's a handy tip, DiGs! I'm already seeing a profit just with hunting through the area, but that might be a good way to make it more profitable.

I caught my first Absolute Acolyte overnight. I'm going to take a break to help work on a map and then dive back into the BWRift. I don't mind the area taking a while to do a run as it's a fairly good area for passive play, which is mostly what I'm able to do right now.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby fantasia » Jun 13, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm sitting pretty at 73mil gold so... maybe I should consider buying some? LOL I didn't realize they had it on the marketplace.

Going for my second Acolyte right now. Starting off with 124 Runic Cheese, 69 Sand, and 33 Quartz. We'll see how that does. :)

I need to remember in the future to get in and out of the Guard Barracks as soon as possible and avoid Timewarp portals until then. I can't believe how much of a difference it made not having those Paladins around to steal my sand!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext