This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

science: Chemistry, Biology, physics, health science

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

science: Chemistry, Biology, physics, health science

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 14, 2014 4:29 am

I must admit to being a bit of a Brian cox fan. Though that isn't actually embarrassing because he is brilliant. I was one of the few people excited to watch his documentaries in science class in highschool.

I am more into chemistry and Biology myself however and that's why I am taking a degree than heavily involves both those sciences.

I will start by posting this pod cast to help with the discussion:( I don't think there is anything inappropriate in the pod cast from memory).

IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Re: science: Chemistry, Biology, physics, health science

Postby Aslanisthebest » Feb 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Good idea for a thread!

I love science. I am studying science in school, and I hope to work with it in some capacity in the future. I am studying Chemistry, but I really love Physics and Biology as well. They are so beautiful, individually and collectively. I'm really interested in energy studies, thermodynamics/thermochemistry, and plant chemistry. I thought that I'd be mostly concerned with the Physical sciences, but, in my first semester of school, I had a professor for an introductory biology course who explained biology in a way that made me discover I liked it a lot, specifically cell biology and genetics.

I really like studying the history of science, too. Who is your favourite scientist? Mine would probably be Michael Faraday, just for the person he was, for the discoveries in science that he made, and his understanding of electricity. (And the fact he, too, didn't get along with math all the time, at least not to the extent he was acquainted with science, is encouraging to me. :P) I'm also interested in reading more on Ernest Rutherford, especially for his work with the atomic model.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Your first paragraph made me think how some physicists believe that physics is the only science and much more important than the others. Many find out this is false, especially the one who won the noble prize for chemistry(forgot his name).

My favourite scientist at the moment however is Karl Kruszelnicki(he is know as simply Dr Karl).You may not know him but he is well known in Australia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Kruszelnicki. He is known for wearing very colourful shirts when appearing on TV. Send him a question on twitter and he is likely to answer it.

I honestly had a dream about rutherford after creating this thread and I don't know a lot about him.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Mehinen » Feb 16, 2014 5:23 am

I think that almost all science is interesting. It's fascinating to read of new discoveries and theories, it usually doesn't matter if they are about biology or geology, any kind of physics etc. . I, too, study science and intend to get a degree on a subject connected to physics. Chemistry was really nice in high school, but not quite nice enough to make a career of it :D .

Favorite scientist? I've no idea.
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Feb 19, 2014 11:37 am

Your first paragraph made me think how some physicists believe that physics is the only science and much more important than the others.

You mean there are other sciences? (Just kidding! Don't throw tomatoes!)

Nice idea for a thread, since we do have a couple other threads devoted to some of the physical sciences.

Favorite scientist? There are just too many to choose from. Einstein comes to mind, or possibly Stephen Hawking. (It's kind of neat to be alive at the same time as someone the future may decide is a legendary scientific figure).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby King_Erlian » Feb 20, 2014 6:22 am

When I was in the 6th Form (final two years of high school in the UK, age 16-18) we had a saying:
If it moves, it's biology;
If it explodes, it's chemistry;
And if it doesn't work, it's physics. :))
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru