This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Christmas in Summer (Australia and NZ)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Christmas in Summer (Australia and NZ)

Postby coracle » Dec 09, 2013 2:13 am

Hi from New Zealand, where our best known local Christmas carol is Te Harinui ("the good news").
http://folksong.org.nz/nzchristmas/te_harinui.html

It tells of an event we are about to celebrate the 200th anniversary of, the first sermon preached in New Zealand, on Christmas Day 1814. Samuel Marsden told his Maori listeners of the good news of Christmas.

Many of us have British backgrounds, and enjoy the traditions of our parents or grandparents, increasingly adapted for warmer weather. Our family has often had an outdoor meal either on the deck (wooden patio) at my sister's, and another friend likes to have a big table out in their back garden if the weather is fine; I am having Christmas day with those friends this year, and we are going out for a picnic and meeting up with others.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Re: Christmas in Summer (Australia and NZ)

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 09, 2013 3:56 am

I am sure nz would have nice weather at christmas. Not too hot or too cold for outside?

As for Christmas carols, yes I was specifically referring to that song about wattle. I work with a women who is constantly singing it. I didn't like the song much before but now....

I have seen some Australian christmas cards. I remember one had a kangaroo at the bbq using some tongs.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Previous