This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camp NaNoWriMo ~ July

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Camp NaNoWriMo ~ July

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Welcome one and all to the second Camp NaNo of 2013! :ymparty:

Camp NaNo is very similar to the NaNoWriMo competition that takes place during the month of November. Only this time, authors will be writing their stories during the sizzling summer. Starting July 1st, and ending as soon as the clocks turn midnight on August 1st, writers from everywhere will be scribbling and/or typing away, trying to hit 50K words before the time is up. The prize? Well, the work itself! After all, how many people can say they wrote an entire novel in a month? ;)

So grab a s'more, head on outside, and we'll all tell stories round the campfire! Er, at least, write stories round the campfire...

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Re: Camp NaNoWriMo ~ July

Postby stargazer » Jun 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Writing around the campfire (or at least while out in nature) is something I enjoy doing, Ithilwen! Many times inspiration for a story or at least a scene in a story might come while I'm out hiking alone or sitting by the fire.

(This year the clouds of mosquitoes around here have dampened that enthusiasm ;)) )

Does Camp NaNo have 'rebels' like the November version does? I'm inclined to wrap up last year's NaNo story (still unfinished at 73k) or even do some editing on older stories rather than write a new one (though a few ideas for this November's story are also vying for my attention).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 30, 2013 7:29 pm

stargazer wrote:Does Camp NaNo have 'rebels' like the November version does?

Apparently so. They even released this article about it. :)

I just finished planning my novel yesterday. Needless to say I'm super excited and nervous. :D :-S I can't believe I managed to plan as much as I did in two weeks. I originally wanted to plan it out a month in advance, but I kept changing my mind as to what novel I wanted to do. ;)) In the end, I decided to go for one of my newer novel ideas. Wish me luck! :) And good luck to everyone else! :D

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wild rose » Jul 01, 2013 5:00 am

I wasn't planning on doing Camp this July, we're be traveling quite a bit and out camping (real camping) and I didn't know if I would be able to make it, but then I though I've done CampNaNo every year since I discovered NaNoWriMo and I couldn't not do it this year, so I decided that I would do it, but I wouldn't go for 50k but for 30k. I also had a bit of trouble deciding on a novel, but finally I decided on a story that I had come up with in the winter about a blind musician who hears a lovely voice singing and sets out to try and discover the owner, who is determined to remain a secret. It's sent in the mid 1820s in St. Petersburg. :)

good luck Ithie, and good luck to anyone else who is participating :D
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Ooh, Wild Rose, that sounds fascinating. Good luck with that! (And if you need any beta readers once you're finished, feel free to ask me. The storyline already has me intrigued. ;) )

After starting at midnight last night, I just finished my prologue. Hopefully tonight I can start Chapter One.

My current Word Count is 4,272. :)

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby shastastwin » Jul 02, 2013 5:39 am

Yesterday was a day of the kind that left no time for NaNoing, so I'm behind. However, I'm doing a shorter project so it's not as big a deal as if I were trying to write a whole novel. I plan to sit down and start this evening after work. The ideas have been bubbling for a while, so it should take off pretty well once I start. :)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby wild rose » Jul 03, 2013 8:39 am

Ithilwen wrote:Ooh, Wild Rose, that sounds fascinating. Good luck with that! (And if you need any beta readers once you're finished, feel free to ask me. The storyline already has me intrigued. ;) )

awww, thanks so much Ithie, and hey, I might just take you up on that, I'm always in desperate need of a native English speaker to read my English novels, because sometimes I feel that perhaps my grammer could be better is I had someone who is a native to the language help me

I'm doing good on my word could, so far I'm at 6,300. I won't do anymore writing today cause I have another novel to edit (it has been patiently waiting for two years and I think it's beginning to get annoyed at me :p ) I hope to get to 7,500 words tomorrow :)

hope you are able to catch up shastastwin
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby shastastwin » Jul 03, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks, wild rose. I was able to get started last night, and I have the plot worked out pretty well, so I'm pleased. I'm doing a short story (potentially a full, if short, novel) set in the world of Jim Henson's film The Dark Crystal. If you visit the film's website, you'll notice they are running a contest in search of an author for a prequel novel in that universe. I'm attempting to write something for that. Since the submission period doesn't start until October, I have plenty of time for revisions, so I'm just doing my best to get the initial draft done. My word count goal is 15,000.

Good luck to everyone on their projects!
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby The Jedi Clone » Jul 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Oooh! Wild is in need of Beta readers? Count me in! That novel sounds absolutely wonderful Wild. The idea is enchanted. :) Anywho. I'm writing a novel that is based in modern times, and it's a road trip, with an ex-marine who is struggling with PTSD, I know someone who's dad has PTSD from his time in the military and that inspired me to write this, it is taking a lot of research about PTSD and it is both fascinating and terrible at the same time. My current word count is 4,966

Good luck everyone!
RL Sister to Melian Maia
Adopted Sister to Weirdo and Gildor_Inglorien
The Jedi Clone
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wild rose » Jul 08, 2013 11:25 am

thank you so very much Mim, I'm so glad you all think my story interesting, I hope it comes out good :) Your story sounds really interesting too, it's cool how a real story inspired you to write it.

My word count hasn't been good of late, I had two really busy days and then two more out of town, so I hardly got any writing done. I hope to write some today evenign and catch up tomorrow morning. :)
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby AslansChild » Jul 08, 2013 8:59 pm

*pops head in to find bunch of NWebbers scribbling furioulsy, hunched over desks, keyboards clicking, eraser shavings flying*

Well, I found out about Camp a bit too late, but I wanted to wish you all luck on your journey! :-bd

*drops of truckload of caffiene and pastries and tiptoes out, quietly pulling door shut behind*
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Oooh, thread! * pounces *

Ithi, I find it funny that both of us are working on steampunks with a slight historical setting. I'm working on one of the novels from my steampunk western series.

I'm actually continuing the novel, rather than starting a new one, and if I finish it before I hit 50k, I'll just start on the next one in the series, or something. :P
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I was so gonna do this however I'm taking college math this month and I am very busy with it. I hope to do NaNo in November.

Good luck everyone and your ideas sound great :D
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo always intrigues me and I'd love to do it at least once before I die...but all that to say, all your stories sound very interesting and I hope the writing continues to go well!!! :)
Sheroo of Stormness Head
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wild rose » Jul 11, 2013 10:50 am

How's everyone's word count coming along? I hope to reach 15k today, that will be my half way mark. I did stumble against a bit of a problem though. The second half of July, I'll be out of town traveling with my family and there will be no internet...that means I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to verify my word count. I'm hoping to figure something out, it will be very sad if I won't be able to win simply because I wasn't able to verify my count on time.

I thought, maybe it would be fun if we could post excerpts of what we wrote :) here's mine:
http://campnanowrimo.org/campers/apye/novels/the-nightingale-of-petersburg
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Princess Anna » Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm

I think you know by now how I feel about participating in NaNo. :p =))

Anyway, I know I'm not doing it, but I still wanted to stop in. I am SO proud of all of you for undertaking such a project! And your stories sound wonderful! If any of you would like me to read them at any point, feel free to send them my way... you've got me all curious! ;))

But, yeah... best of luck and all that. I'm rooting for you! :ymhug:
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Next