This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 09, 2018 4:07 pm

It is getting so hot =; :((

For those of you who do not like super hot weather, how do you cope in the summer? I stay indoors a lot, at least in the middle of the day!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Staying indoors is also one of my coping mechanisms, but summer here is so short I often feel guilty if I am not outside enjoying it. But on those days where it's so humid the weather people call it 'air you can wear,' it's no fun being outside either.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 09, 2018 4:48 pm

stargazer wrote:Staying indoors is also one of my coping mechanisms, but summer here is so short I often feel guilty if I am not outside enjoying it. But on those days where it's so humid the weather people call it 'air you can wear,' it's no fun being outside either.

I suppose the summer in my town is fairly short as well. Still, too long for me :P
I feel guilty as well, because disliking summer seems to be a rare and unpopular opinion. Sometimes I wonder whether I have reverse seasonal affective disorder, because my mood goes down during summer. But not too severely.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Valiant_Nymph wrote:It is getting so hot =; :((

For those of you who do not like super hot weather, how do you cope in the summer? I stay indoors a lot, at least in the middle of the day!

Very useful idea especially if the air conditioning is on. Best to have a reverse cycle system with a thermostat. Keep temperatures only as cool as what is bearable heat, usually about 25C, so as to conserve the electricity consumption and not to overwork the air conditioning.

For years we've had our own swimming pool to cool off in, usually in the late afternoon when the shadows start shielding it from direct sunlight. However, this last summer, what with extreme dryness as well as extreme heat, ill-health and a plumbing drama at Christmas, we can no longer use this swimming pool. That is a shame, since we've not only had a very loonngg summer but an autumn better described as what you would call an Indian summer. We are supposed to get a distinctly chilly cold snap tonight. /:) Do enjoy your shorter summers, though I can agree that a too long summer might feel like purgatory. At least we can skip on electricity usage when we don't have to use clothes dryers. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 09, 2018 5:30 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:For years we've had our own swimming pool to cool off in, usually in the late afternoon when the shadows start shielding it from direct sunlight. However, this last summer, what with extreme dryness as well as extreme heat, ill-health and a plumbing drama at Christmas, we can no longer use this swimming pool. That is a shame, since we've not only had a very loonngg summer but an autumn better described as what you would call an Indian summer. We are supposed to get a distinctly chilly cold snap tonight. /:) Do enjoy your shorter summers, though I can agree that a too long summer might feel like purgatory. At least we can skip on electricity usage when we don't have to use clothes dryers. ;)

That sounds so lovely. And good idea-- I love swimming. I should do it more often as well, this summer :)

Also, I suppose this is a nice time to have lemonade and gelato. I do like summer evenings, I have to say. It is a wonderful time to take a walk.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » May 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I used to like swimming, haven't done it in years. We don't have air conditioning(well we do, it's just called a window), just cope by drinking alot of cold fluids(fruit juice, not soda) and frozen goodies. That's what I miss about working at the old senior cafe before it closed, being able to just come up with excuses for having to go into the walk-in fridge all the time.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 10, 2018 4:21 am

Kalta79 wrote: We don't have air conditioning(well we do, it's just called a window), just cope by drinking alot of cold fluids(fruit juice, not soda) and frozen goodies. That's what I miss about working at the old senior cafe before it closed, being able to just come up with excuses for having to go into the walk-in fridge all the time.

These are also good ideas to beat the heat. There is a heat wave trick I learned when my first child was born, and that is to wet towels in cold water, drape the wet towels on a rack or, if it is available, on the sides of a larger cot (one of those metal barred ones with pull down sides) and turn a fan on in the child's room to cool him/her down.

Us oldies migrate to the local supermarket during the daytime where it is always air conditioned. The shop keepers like the business if we have things to do, and some hotels and clubs have seniors' meals with smaller helpings at reduced prices, so income goes further all around. And if these outings are part of a club membership, then we not only get to stretch our budgets a bit more, we can eat with friends as well.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » May 10, 2018 8:22 am

The USA had the coldest April on record in 20 years. As a result, we pretty much skipped spring and have jumped straight to summer. (At least here in Kansas that's the case.) We've had 90Fs/32Cs all week.

Early next week we're supposed to be getting a slight cool down with some storms. Looking forward to it. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 10, 2018 10:16 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:Early next week we're supposed to be getting a slight cool down with some storms. Looking forward to it. :)

Sounds lovely! I absolutely love rainy days. I'm hoping we get some more in my town.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Rain is expected here this weekend, along with substantially cooler weather.

Once April's snow melted, it can't decide whether it is spring or summer. We bounce between days like today (close to 90F/32C and rather humid) to rainy days like this upcoming weekend (highs around 60F/15C, which is much closer to average).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 18, 2018 8:16 am

Weather is very temperate in my town; I'm quite enjoying it :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 23, 2018 9:40 am

Temperate sounds good right now!

A month ago we still had some snow and now we're headed directly into summer. The next week or so is going to be unseasonably hot, more like July or August. It will be hot (one model is calling for 99F/38C but that is unlikely) and very humid weather. Memorial Day weekend around here is usually wet but this year it's just going to be hot.
stargazer

Postby coracle » May 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Here in northern England we're enjoying really sunny weather, and it is a real summer feel now. I arrived in early August, expecting a month of nice weather, but it was poor. Apparently the start of summer is usually the best here.

I am getting out and about in the weekends as often as possible.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Kalta79 » May 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Thunderstorming here today, twice it was POURING down, first time with some hail, lasted less than half an hour, then a little while later it did it again without the hail, but with thunder and lightning. Was glad to be inside both times. Second time we were at the cafe, and the dirt and gravel parking lot didn't take long to look flooded. Really like the cafe, because the couple who owns it, the wife is there more often than the husband, and she likes the CSI shows, and CSI Miami is my favorite, so if it's on a channel that day, that's what will be playing on the TV there. Good food, nice people, free wifi, unlimited coffee, and your favorite shows, doesn't get much better than that when it's icky outside :D
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 29, 2018 3:43 pm

This morning we awoke to find it actually rained overnight. I am noting that I agree that to everyone else that observation would be rather mundane and trivial. But it hasn't rained for a while. So long that I've given up carrying a fold-up umbrella in my handbag. I did need to check here to work out how long ago it has been since I last noted it rained. That was the 15th April when I noted that we were promised rain. At the moment I can't remember off hand if it actually did so. Lately we have been teased by heavy clouds that start to accumulate then slowly dissipate, with at best, a few illusory prickles that a desert mirage would sneer at.

It would be interesting to see how long it will be before we get our next proper shower of rain. I hope we don't have to wait too long. Otherwise, it has been just a few degrees cooler than it was last month, around the 23C or 21C mark, with occasional morning temperatures below 10C. It is supposed to be late autumn with winter officially starting on Friday.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » May 31, 2018 9:33 am

We also had some much-needed rain over the past couple of days, but that means it's very humid right now.

This past weekend was hot - at least by local standards. Records fell right and left. A few of note: At 100F/38C, Monday was the hottest Memorial Day (a moving holiday) and May 28 on record. It was the earliest 100F reading on record and only the second ever in May. The string of 6 consecutive days over 90F/32C was the longest recorded in May, with records going back into the 1800s.

Many of the records broken date from the Dust Bowl year of 1934.
stargazer

PreviousNext