This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby fantasia » Apr 26, 2018 4:48 am

Due to the repeated blasts of Arctic air, our tornado season hasn't even started this year. I hear that may change starting next week. I believe we have some severe storms being predicted. Time to make sure the tornado kit is ready to go.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Apr 27, 2018 10:10 am

We're about to turn the corner too. This week is very seasonal, with highs around 60F/16C (with a brisk north breeze this afternoon), but may approach 80F/27C by Monday. That may bring humidity and severe thunderstorms for us.

But at this moment it is snowing in northeast Minnesota and across Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin, not far from the site of yesterday's refinery explosion.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Apr 28, 2018 9:46 am

;)) Friend Wiggle. And, wow, that boy in shorts building a snowman would be quite the sight, Grandmama. ;))

Mowing seems far away for us, given that we just got rid of our snow, and in places (northward facing), it's still there, refusing to melt. ;)) But that will happen this week as temperatures soar (with a heat index, even) into the mid 20sC/near 80F. That is definitely above seasonal for May here, but most folk are so excited.

QueenLucyTheValiant15 wrote:Lucky! I wish we had snow in April here...

You're a snow-lover too? High-five! :D

Tonight, however, we could have wet snow flurries, as the temps hover around the freezing mark. 'Gazer, our temperatures are way below the norm here too. Not complaining! :ymsmug:

On the very few sunny days we have had, it's been suitable to hang the clothes out on the line, which I love doing. Okay, so I guess there are a few things I enjoy about summer: hanging laundered clothes outside, BBQ-ing, campfires (♥), and gardening. ;;)
But that's it! :))
johobbit

Postby stargazer » May 01, 2018 10:16 am

Our gardeners and farmers are eager to get out into the fields, since it's May now. Recent weather should help that.

What a difference a couple of weeks make! Two weeks ago we were digging out from a mountain of snow, and yesterday the high was an amazing 29C (84F), the warmest day in over 7 months. The rest of the week is expected to be slightly cooler.

April 2018 came in as the 4th-coldest on record here with an average temperature of 37.6F (3.1C). Only 7 days of the 30 were above average, and they were all near the end of the month.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 02, 2018 12:25 am

stargazer wrote:April 2018 came in as the 4th-coldest on record here with an average temperature of 37.6F (3.1C). Only 7 days of the 30 were above average, and they were all near the end of the month.

Funny you said that April 2018 came in as the 4th coldest on record. Australia, in particular around the Sydney basin, had its hottest April on record, with midsummer temperatures persisting until a day or so ago. It depends on how long records have been kept, I suppose, and exactly where. When did you have the other three cold records?

I went to the doctor, to arrange for influenza vaccines, and in checking me for an existing cold, he asked me if I felt feverish. I told him, that due to the weather, it was hard to tell if it was me being feverish or just the usual overly hot weather.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » May 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Did a little of the gardening thing today. Must have pulled about twenty feet of crabgrass roots up #:-s
Cloudy today, with the weather threatening, but that's about all. Otherwise it was not a bad day for being out-and-about with temps in the upper 60'sF, and a bit of a breeze.
The Mrs., and I hope to be out and do a little fishing this weekend. Perhaps an eel or two for the pot ;) Predictions are holding for the warmer temps to remain the norm now, so I can forget wearing the snowshoes, and ear muffs ;)
Who dared speak the dreaded name of the winged bane of campers? The buzz of their annoying flight is the only thing that can dampen a good evening by a fire.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 04, 2018 4:07 pm

It has suddenly got very warm in my town. Unfortunately I don't like it too hot! But I suppose there are positives, like being able to BBQ and not have to wear heavy boots :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » May 05, 2018 7:40 am

Yes, April was quite the month with snow and ice here in the north—often more like January weather!

That changed this past week, though, as the air became humid for a couple of days. It seemed to go right from winter to summer. However, the next while is supposed to be more actually spring-like—very pleasant for working in the yard and gardens. :) But, what with the rains and sun, the grass has suddenly become green and will probably need its first mow this week!

I don't like it hot either, Valiant_Nymph, so when the heat finally settles in, I am so counting the days until Autumn. :P

Yesterday was the strongest wind we have had here since we moved nearly 4 years ago. The gusts reached 110 kms/70 mph, but in a city a half hour away from us (NE), their gusts reached hurricane force at 125 kms! Trees were uprooted all across south and south-western Ontario; shingles flew off from houses ... 'twas quite the storm! Finally last evening it began dying down. Today, while there is a stiff breeze, it's at least normal. ;))
johobbit

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 8:17 am

Jo-Hobbit: Yes! I loooove Autumn. I also like rain, so I hope it rains a lot this summer :p
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Count me as another person who prefers cooler weather. Summer brings heat and humidity (which we're getting a small taste of now), and spring tends to be really short. Over the past few years the autumn seasons have tended to be quite pleasant and lengthy, which is fine with me.

That's very windy, Jo! Hopefully damage was kept to a minimum and injuries were light if any at all.

Is your weather remaining hot, wagga? Perhaps you will get a break soon.

It depends on how long records have been kept, I suppose, and exactly where. When did you have the other three cold records?

Excellent points. I believe current records are measured at the airport, though I have also heard reports of records measured at a Weather Service office in a southwest suburb (direction matters, especially in winter, when north winds can drive the urban heat island to the south. The northern suburbs can routinely be 10-15F (3-8C) colder than the southern ones).

Reliable records go back some 130 years or more, with pioneer records dating back to the early 1800s (these are often considered unofficial, since standardized measuring techniques hadn't been developed).

The coldest Aprils include 1874 (2.1C), 1950 (2.7C), and 1907 (2.7C). After 2018's mark comes 1875 (3.5C).

It's noteworthy (to weather watchers anyway) that the previous largest April snowstorm came in 1983 on the exact same dates as this year's storm. This prompted a few people to recreate parent-child pictures taken during the earlier storm, with the kids in the early pictures now adults holding their own kids.

Meteorologists have also observed that April 1936 was quite cold with some big storms - and the following summer was a Dust Bowl one with some of the highest temperatures ever recorded in the state (in excess of 110F/43C).

Readers from hot places may chuckle at that, but we're known for cold, not heat. In the past 60 years I've experienced many winter nights colder than -25F/-32C but probably fewer than a dozen days over 100F/38C (in Minnesota I mean, so I am excluding travel to warmer places).
stargazer

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Lucky there will be a lot of rain this week apparently :D Unfortunately I think it will also be a bit humid :( Anyways, I'll spend most of next week at home, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » May 05, 2018 8:26 pm

It's warming up here, mosquitoes already out, and I've got to get busy weeding and trimming the grass and a zillion other things. Supposed to be up to 80F on Tuesday I believe.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Kalta79 wrote:It's warming up here, mosquitoes already out, and I've got to get busy weeding and trimming the grass and a zillion other things. Supposed to be up to 80F on Tuesday I believe.

Ahhh Mosquitoes! I always get bitten more often than others around me too... Do you like hot weather though? :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » May 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I prefer 70s during the day and 50s at night. In my younger days I used to not be bothered by extremes, but that was long ago.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 08, 2018 10:54 am

Kalta79 wrote:I prefer 70s during the day and 50s at night. In my younger days I used to not be bothered by extremes, but that was long ago.

I guess I’m pretty young and I still hate extremes! Luckily it is temperate right now, once again. Dreading the hot summer coming up though. I get more done in winter
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 08, 2018 11:19 am

I'm not too excited about temperature extremes either, especially on the high end of the scale. Depending on the humidity, even 70F is getting uncomfortably warm (but then, I am a polar bear ;) ).

Much needed rain is in our forecast now, with up to 2.3 inches (60mm) possible by the weekend. It's the soaking kind, rather than torrential, which will help green things up. I've heard reports of wood ticks, and mosquitoes can't be far behind.
stargazer

PreviousNext