This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Unfortunately the study was cancelled. But fear not my good hobbit. We will try again this Thursday (weather permitting ). ;)
On that topic. We had quite a blow come through Sunday morning. Trees are blown down, though mostly in the southern part of the state. Power is still out in some places.
Most of the local news stations were showing pictures from people. One neighborhood near the twin cities had nine inches of pea sized hail on the ground. Road crews had to bring out the snow plows to clear the streets.
Tomorrow the for cast is for high temps In the 90's f. Following soon after is another line of storms coming late that night, or early Wednesday morning. I must remember to check the canoe.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jun 13, 2017 6:34 pm

You're right, Puddleglum. We were treated to quite the show Sunday morning, with winds whipping trees around, lots of rain, and some hail (minimal compared to other areas of the Twin Cities, though my friends' garden did lose some tomato plants).

Northern suburbs like Coon Rapids (where I lived until last year) broke out the snowplows to take care of the hail filling the streets, and social media lit up with pictures of house and tree damage, as well as some video clips of people using snow blowers to clear out their driveways.

It's been unseasonably warm, with temperatures Saturday reaching 96F/36C and heat indices over 100F, so the big storm isn't too surprising. It's in the mid-90sF again today with more thunderstorms likely overnight.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Jun 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Now that summer is officially here, I don't feel right complaining about the heat, but up until now, it's been unseasonably warm. :P Of course, when this happens, the weeds in my garden completely take over and I don't feel like going out to deal with them. :P :))

Here in the exact spot where I live, we've been getting hit by lots of tiny pop-up storms. My sister lives in the same city as me, just on the opposite side, and those same storms miss her. The same is true vice versa. We took the kiddos to the zoo on Sunday, when there was a 20% chance for storms. We ended up getting rained out. (What??) At least we brought umbrellas. We would have stuck it out too, except they brought all the animals indoors. Ah well.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Summer came in with highs in the upper 60's. . . and lows in the lower 40's at night. That's close to frost ;))

This summer has been a summer of extremes for Ohio! We have several weeks go by where we get no rain, then we get a week of nothing but rain (torrential, roads-washing-away, cars-swept-out-parking-lots type rain. . . ) We've had stretches where it's in the 90's, and now we're in this cooler patch.

I could definitely get used to this cool weather. . . . Almost like October

*dreams of fall*
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » Jun 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Our weather is very similar to yours, Digs. The past weekend was quite cool and pleasant, with occasional torrential rains coming during the past couple days.

Tornadoes were reported east of here earlier this evening, part of an apparent tornado outbreak covering a half-dozen states. There was some thunder here, but nothing like the winds and large hail reported nearby.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 01, 2017 5:40 pm

I expect you'd love the weather down here. O:-) Tasmania is snowed under it would seem. Victoria and parts of South Australia are as chilly as Antarctica-facing states could be, and even Canberra is reporting minimums of -6C (20F). It isn't much better here, and this morning we have had fog as well as the heaviest morning frost so far. Minimums of 0C-3C, around here. ;;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 05, 2017 7:07 pm

If a marsh-wiggle could melt it would have happened today. Humidity was high, and though the outside temps were hovering around 90f it was definitely higher in the factory. Watching the major league baseball team for our state on the television right now, and am wondering how they can move through All the humidity.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Yup, we're back to 'air you can wear.' Ugh. ;))

Nature added a lot of fireworks last night to the man-made ones launched for the Fourth. Heavy rain followed the thunder and lightning later that evening.

Today is just plain old hot and tomorrow will be hotter, but it should be slightly cooler by the weekend.

We're in the 'dog days' of summer now.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 06, 2017 11:30 pm

And what exactly are the "dog days of summer"? Surely down here it would be the "dog days of winter"? When the wolves howl? :D By the way, despite the torrential rain in China, Japan and India, it is quite dry here. Frosty, but rather dry.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby aileth » Jul 07, 2017 8:39 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:And what exactly are the "dog days of summer"? Surely down here it would be the "dog days of winter"? When the wolves howl? :D By the way, despite the torrential rain in China, Japan and India, it is quite dry here. Frosty, but rather dry.

Well, now, that's quite a Sirius question! I suspect it might dog you for a while. Do you have the equivalent of a dog star in the southern hemisphere?

We have gone from too much water, with unprecedented lake levels and flooding, and lots of rain, to dry as a bone, though the lake levels are still higher than comfortable. Two grass fires in our area within the last week, and several more up the valley. The only good thing about it? Once a spot is turned to cinders, it won't burn there again for the rest of the year.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby stargazer » Jul 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Nice wordplay, aileth!

The 'dog days' is indeed a Northern Hemisphere thing, related to how the brightest star in the sky, Sirius (the Dog Star) was thought to add its heat to that of summer since it is in the same direction as the sun right now. Apparently it's an old idea, dating back to the Greeks and Romans. The Iliad includes a reference to Sirius as an omen of heat and suffering.

Strictly speaking, Sirius itself is a southern star as it lies south of the celestial equator, even though it is winter Down Under right now.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 14, 2017 5:49 am

aileth wrote:Well, now, that's quite a Sirius question! I suspect it might dog you for a while. Do you have the equivalent of a dog star in the southern hemisphere?

Siriusly yes. I sometimes see low in the sky a blazing, shining star that really could be Sirius. But I am not sure exactly what time of year it appears here. When it is hungry, probably. Maybe it is too cold and cloudy at the moment for dog stars. The stars that shine in summer are the ones in constellations like Scorpio, Taurus, Orion and, of course, the Southern Cross.

Did you know that when the First Fleet arrived here in January 1788, that the two navy ships in charge of the expedition were called HMS Sirius and HMS Supply?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jul 15, 2017 10:48 pm

wagga, Sirius is roughly opposite the sun on January 1 (that is, when you leave your New Years party at midnight, it is at its highest). It is an evening object the first few months of the year.

It's well-placed then as seen from Sydney (for example), very high in the sky. The belt of Orion points roughly in its direction, and it's unmistakable as the brightest star in the night sky.

It was hot and humid today, with more of that 'air you can wear.' With dew points exceeding 73F/23C, heat index values were around 100F/38C.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Stargazer, thank you. :) Last night about 8.30 pm I did see Scorpio about half way to the zenith of the sky in the east of here. Scorpio, like Orion, has those three stars in a row, though Scorpio has its line of three in front of the curve that makes out its body and tail. Scorpio and its opposite, Taurus, are the most distinctive, and easiest to pick out of the 12 signs of the Zodiac, and, I think, they can be seen in most parts of the world.

Years ago in January, 1986, we went to Beijing, with a stop-over at Guangzhou, which is the Chinese name for the place formerly known as Canton. When we landed there, at about the same time of evening, Orion was clearly visible at that time of year, but upside down from the way we see it in Sydney, facing east. Orion, with its distinctive belt of three stars, is another constellation which seems to be visible from most of the world, except maybe from the extreme north or the extreme south.

When Orion appears in the sky I will try to remember that Sirius will be high in the sky, no doubt enjoying the festivities over Sydney. We normally have the party at home, where it is easier to see the fireworks on TV than struggling to find a good vantage point along the admittedly large harbour, and then having to get home anyway. ;) It is still very chilly here, especially of a morning, though also very dry. It is good hibernation weather.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jul 21, 2017 11:22 am

wagga, as you might imagine, Scorpius is a summer constellation here (I'm not sure why astronomers use that name and astrologers use Scorpio), but it's never very high in the sky as seen from this latitude. I know it's a spectacular constellation when seen above the horizon murkiness, and would like to see it high in the sky some time.

I'd also like to see Orion upside down, which for me would be the view you usually have. ;)) (incidentally, some good friends of mine went to Guangzhou years ago to adopt their little girl).

The rain continues here with flash flood watches and warnings up for the area (an area east of here received 6 inches/155mm of rain in a short time yesterday). This is a heavily vegetated area with lots of lakes and rivers, but even here we can get too much rain.

That storm also spun up a few small (EF-1) tornadoes, damaging buildings and blowing semi trailers over, but no injuries were reported.

We're right on the line between cooler air to the north and the furnace that is the central US right now, so storms just keep firing up over the same area. Some forecasts are calling for severe straight-line winds later today (possibly even a derecho event with hurricane-force winds over a large area).
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

You know it's hot when the local weather lady talks about a cold front coming through that will drop our high temperatures down to 95F. #:-s
It's 11pm here and still almost 90F. Crazy.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext