This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby johobbit » Jan 27, 2017 1:41 pm

What a strange winter, indeed! December was our January—lots of snow. And thus far January has been more like April, with a whole lot of rain. I can't recall the last time we saw the sun. I enjoy cloudy days, so I'm okay with that, but I know some people are getting rather down with the dreariness, and I feel for them. But finally, the cold has returned with flurries and even some fairly heavy (and very pretty) snow squalls. This is to continue for the next few days, with the possibility of a good dump of snow overnight Tuesday.
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Jan 30, 2017 4:40 pm

We had a beautiful day here today. Sunshine, a light breeze, and 72F. :D I've had my doors and windows opened all day. Got to take advantage of this weather while I can. We're supposed to have freezing rain on Saturday.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jan 30, 2017 5:52 pm

How lovely, fantasia! Sounds warm for January, though. What is your average temperature this time of year?

Winter has definitely returned here. A lovely fresh white blanket overnight, but frigid temps for today. We were up north a couple of hundred miles all day yesterday and the snow there was amazing. A winter wonderland! And rather slippery driving, but once we headed a bit south, it was clearer, 'though the fields were still very much snow-covered.
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 30, 2017 8:42 pm

How nice! If only a bit of cooler weather would venture down here! It is the hottest January I have ever known, with two or three days, even more per week in the 40's C or higher. Even today it was 39.9C, which is only 0.1 cooler than yesterday. :ymsigh:
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Feb 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Still melting just thinking about that, wagga. ;)

Another Groundhog Day has come and gone (including a marathon of the movie on a cable channel), with varying predictions depending on where the prognosticating rodent lived. The famous one, Punxsutawney Phil, saw his shadow and predicted another 6 weeks of winter (the report noted as an aside that the accuracy rate over the past 100+ years is only 38%).

This is also Candlemas or Imbolc, the cross-quarter day that marks the halfway point between the first days of winter and spring.

Incidentally, 6 weeks more of winter would bring us to mid-March. Here in Minnesota, where it can snow well into May, that would be a bargain. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Another Groundhog Day has come and gone

It feels like Groundhog Day has come to stay around here. This is the third day of 40C or above temperatures. We've had ten days above 40C since the beginning of January and today's maximum is 43C. If this continues for another 6 weeks, I think I will turn into a greasy puddle. :(
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Feb 07, 2017 7:30 am

I wouldn't even remember that Groundhog Day existed if people didn't talk about it. ;)) Sorry P. Phil. ;)

We have an oddball weather week. The highs are as follows: 70F (Today), 45F, 45F, 71F, 76F, 52F, 52F. The weather can't make up its mind. :P But even though we obviously have fronts coming through, no storms at all in the forecast.

This has been a very warm February. Normally we're a lot colder than this.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 09, 2017 3:43 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:The highs are as follows: 70F (Today), 45F, 45F, 71F, 76F, 52F, 52F.

70F= 21C, 45F= 8C, 45= 8c, 71F= 21.5C, 75F= 24.5C, 52F= 11C and 52F= 11C. Sounds like nice spring weather to me. :)

Today has been 'officially' rechristened Fryday. The maximum will be 44C (110.5F), we are expecting a maximum tomorrow of 45C (113.5), and Sunday, relatively cool, with a maximum of 40C (104C), before, hopefully, a proper cool change arrives. Out in the west of New South Wales, at Bourke (let alone Back of Bourke), many places have been getting as much as 13 to 16 days in a row of above 40C. #:-s
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Feb 09, 2017 3:56 pm

10C is nice spring weather here too. :)

I really don't pay attention to Groundhog Day except as a novelty - and as the cross-quarter day that means spring is on the way. The pace at which days lengthen has really picked up now, and it's obvious that the sun is setting later and later each day.

It was close to 0F (-17C) this morning, but tomorrow's high is expected to be 43F (6C), which is approaching the record high for the date and is quite a swing from today's cooler temps.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Feb 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Here too! Great walking and campfire weather. :D

fantasia wrote:I wouldn't even remember that Groundhog Day existed if people didn't talk about it. ;))

Ditto! I heard later that Wiarton Willie did not see his shadow, predicting an early spring. We shall see. He's usually wrong, anyway. :))

wagga wrote:Today has been 'officially' rechristened Fryday.

:P Ugh. I haven't heard the Farmers' Almanac for our summer yet, but I hope it's a manageable summer for a change. ;)) As in, nothing about 25C. Well, preferably not above 20C, but that'd be out of the question here at that time of the year. :P

That is quite the rise in temps, 'gazer! Here, we have -11F/+12F. It's cold, but not bitter. And today has definitely been a favourite weather day with frequent snowsqualls for the past 10 hours or so. So, so pretty. Magical. And the sunset was stunning with its rays lighting up the surrounding stormclouds. ♥ Everything is very, very white here. Better enjoy it now, because Saturday is to be up to the mid 40sF, and Sunday could be rain. But hopefully that will be snow here on higher ground. Speaking of more snow, a few more inches should be arriving tomorrow again. Can't get enough of the beauty.
;))
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 12, 2017 12:45 am

johobbit wrote:As in, nothing about 25C. Well, preferably not above 20C, but that'd be out of the question.

30C is a nice balmy weather temperature which makes one glad to be alive. Even today's temperature of 40C is mild, cool and even comfortable, compared to yesterday's hellish weather conditions. Believe it or not, we broke a 100 year record with 46.9C (116F). March and, hopefully, cooler conditions, is only a fortnight away.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Feb 14, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm wondering if we're looking at a summer like yours wagga. I sure hope not but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Our next week has high temps in the mid to upper 60Fs. A good 20F higher than our average temps this time of year.
And to top it all off, our weekend currently has a 50% chance for thunderstorms. Thunderstorms!!! In February!! We don't usually see those until April, though they're not uncommon in March.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Feb 14, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm with you jo. ;)) 25C is tolerable, I guess, while 30C makes this old polar bear melt (partly because summers are pretty humid here).

Highs will hover around 50F/10C later this week, which should take care of the remaining snow. It tempts me to consider that first campfire of the season. :)

I hope you don't have a killer summer fantasia. Especially come August 21. ;)

That's an incredible high temperature, wagga. Stay cool!
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 14, 2017 4:03 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:I'm wondering if we're looking at a summer like yours wagga. I sure hope not but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Our next week has high temps in the mid to upper 60Fs. A good 20F higher than our average temps this time of year.
And to top it all off, our weekend currently has a 50% chance for thunderstorms. Thunderstorms!!! In February!! We don't usually see those until April, though they're not uncommon in March.

You might well have a hot summer, but temperatures higher than 35C may only be for a day or two for the whole summer. At least I certainly hope it isn't any worse than that for you, and a whole lot nicer. The main problem is to conserve one's electricity supply for the air conditioners if you have them, by topping up battery - run items as soon as weather that hot is predicted, planning on minimum cooking, plus planning how to reduce temperatures at home by using shades, shutters and curtains to keep the heat out.

Some years are worse than others, though we've had consistently higher summer temperatures this decade, especially in the last 12 months. Apparently, since Sydney was first settled in 1788, we have had temperatures as high as 53C, during what was in other parts of the world a continuation of the Little Ice Age, up to 1870. My grandmother talked of asphalt melting on the roads, and used to say that temperatures were so hot they could fry an egg on the pavement. Unfortunately for her and others at the time, women's clothes were "proper", conservative and generally unsuited to hot weather. No wonder our Aboriginal first peoples must have thought settlers were a bit daft. ;)

Funny you should mention thunderstorms. Back in the 1990's we could almost expect a daily thunderstorm about 3.pm or later, but this year, those welcome summer thunderstorms and Southerly busters, blowing away the heat, seem to have gone missing in action this year. We haven't had much rain at all. It is cooler now, but we are expecting a return to hot temperatures on Friday and Saturday, fortunately not exceeding 40C.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Feb 16, 2017 11:52 am

It certainly is not warm here today. ;)) Quite a windchill, actually. I'm guessing -20C/-4F, or thereabouts, with the wind. Sunny though. But cold. Just a typical winter day here in SW Ontario. Snow is still on the ground, but this weekend will change all that, with temperatures rising to a very balmy 10C/50F—possibly breaking the record in a number of regions. :-o Next week we return to more seasonable weather. And hopefully a few good snowfalls yet before spring truly arrives.

I simply cannot imagine 53C, wagga, yikes! #:-s

P.S. I just saw 25-30 robins rummaging around at the edge of the cornfield behind us. :-o Looks like they were searching for material for their nests. Won't they get a surprise when, after this weekend's warm spell, cold and snow hits again. :P
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Feb 21, 2017 12:12 am

Speaking of warmth (though friends from southern climes may beg to differ), this week is unseasonably warm, with 5 days over 50F/10C expected. This has only happened 3 times previously in 100+ years of records. Tomorrow may reach 62F/17C, which would be a record for the date.

We even had the first fire of the season this past weekend. It rained today - in February, when it should be snowing. ;)) But fear not, a big storm is expected to arrive here Thursday or Friday, and snowfall estimates vary widely, from 3 to 20 inches (75-500mm). I doubt it will be anywhere near that high end but one never knows.
stargazer

PreviousNext