Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby johobbit » Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm

We had a fairly large frost last night. Out on my walk this morning at dawn, the air was gloriously crisp and cold (-4C/25F). Ahhh, the scent of autumn, love it! Orion was blazing high in the SW—I never tire of that sight—with beautiful Venus burning in the eastern sky. ♥

The leaves have just reached their peak here, 'though a number are still green. They were not brilliant this year, but rather muted. Still, very, very pretty.

September was the July we never had. Far too warm with no rain. Not pleasant, no preciousss. Our summer was exceptionally rainy and cool, so what a contrast. The weather sure was mixed up.

October is my favourite month and it's sad to see it go for another year. But at least we're headed into more fall and winter, which is my cuppa tea. ;))

I have not heard snow in the forecast here yet, but it's cold enough to most nights.

It's SO good to be out walking again in these invigorating temperatures, colourful trees, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, stunning cloud formations, crackling bonfires, with the smell of dried leaves and moist earth all around. ♥
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Oct 27, 2017 11:05 am

Jo, your post summarizes so well the things I love about this time of year. The past couple weeks have generally been spectacular here, with lots of color, nice weather, and several bonfires (the last one being Wednesday night, in light of the weather forecast).

The season's first snow is upon us, falling as I type this, already thick enough to cover a lot of the grass. It's also very windy, so the windchill is probably more worthy of November. Is it too early to sing "Let it Snow"? ;))
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 29, 2017 5:08 pm

We had the snow fall for the last couple days. Thankfully not in the quantities predicted, but enough to make the ground white for about two days. Right now we have only a few shaded areas that are still covered. Our trees are mostly turned but the Red Maple is still stubbornly holding out. It usually waits for a good foot of the white stuff before dropping them so I cannot rake them up.
I am looking forward to those walks myself my good hobbit. The woods beckon with the chance of adding some squirrel, and rabbit to my larder.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Oct 31, 2017 9:27 am

Wow, the first snow, stargazer and friend Wiggle! (No, it's not too early to sing that song. ;))) And hurrah for bonfires! :D We had rain the following day. The temperature is consistently around 7C/44.6F and freezing at night ... more great walking weather!.

Puddleglum wrote:It usually waits for a good foot of the white stuff before dropping them so I cannot rake them up.

Isn't that just the way. :P ;)) I hope you can get those desired walks in!

Our temps jump up for one day this week—Thursday—to 15C/59F, with rain, then plunge again.

Our leaves are very late falling this year: some trees are even mostly green still, 'though beginning to turn. A number have let loose their leaves already, and the green grass is lovely with varying shades of orange and yellow sprinkled upon it. :) Have I said how much I love this time of year? ;) :D

The daytime skies have been very moody and beautiful (cloud-laden), but it's also been a few days since I've seen Orion in all its glory on my early morning walk. Miss that.

This weekend, here in Ontario, our clocks turn back an hour, but as I much prefer the shorter days, I look forward when I can walk again under the stars and into the dawn (without getting up ridiculously early ;))).
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Oct 31, 2017 12:35 pm

We also return to Standard Time this weekend, meaning the sun will set by 5 pm. Time for some early-evening stargazing!

The weekend snow is mostly gone and the skies are clearing here, though it will be rather cool for the kids tonight.

But it will be nothing like Halloween was 26 years ago here, when a large blizzard moved in and left piles of snow all over. 'Old' people like me still talk about it. Here is a gallery of some pictures for your enjoyment.

Edit: One memory I have is going out to the parking lot during the storm to try to dig out my car. It was entirely buried by snow. I called in to work to say I wasn't coming. The response was "Why not? This is Minnesota." They did end up closing later that day when none of the delivery trucks could get in or out of the yard (it was a warehouse)

stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 01, 2017 4:22 am

Ah. I keep forgetting the time change. It is the time of year when one can sit out in front of the wig-warm, and almost see the shadows stretch across the clearing.
I too remember that snowy Eve stargazer. ( though, while I may feel old, I prefer "well aged " ) ;)
One memory I have is of the emergency rooms being busy with poor fellows with damaged digits from clearing their snow blowers by hand. The Hospitals in the Twin Cities actually flew in surgeons from out of state to help there were so many.
Speaking of the white stuff, I am looking at the weather guy on the TV, and there's more on the way today :-s
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Nov 04, 2017 9:47 pm

I live in Klamath County in southern Oregon, and it snowed yesterday, got a break today, but it's supposed to start over night again. Supposed to be icky for at least a week. I grew up in places with real winters, but winters here have been mild for me for so long, last winter was a shock, but I realized it wasn't a 'bad' winter, it was just an average winter. When you're a kid(I know 14 year olds don't like being called kids, but now that I'm well over twice that age, I consider myself a kid at that age) and you open the front door and there's just a wall of snow from the roof to the ground, having snow just stay at knee height all winter is nothing...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Nov 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Welcome to the weather thread, Kalta! That's a lot of snow, for sure.

Here in south central Minnesota winter snow is a guaranteed thing but it's rare to get that much at once (notable exceptions: the Halloween blizzard of 1991 and the big storm of December 2010 that collapsed the Metrodome for the last time).

The weather can't make up its mind this November, varying between quick bursts of snow and relative warmth (we've probably received about 6 inches/150mm of snow so far, but it keeps melting). One day the wind chill can be close to 0F/-17C, and a few days later we're looking at 50F/10C. But the short days are a reminder that winter is definitely coming.

stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Nov 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Well last Friday we had some snow, less than half a foot, it's mostly gone now, we've had quite a bit of rain since then, but it's gonna snow again Wednesday and Thursday if not before. I need to get the shovel on the porch. We have confused weather here too, it's common to get all four seasons in one week.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia_kitty » Nov 13, 2017 10:01 pm

While we've been below average here temperature-wise, we've had the same ol' same ol' non-snowy wintery weather. ;)) No ice thus far, but it threatened to ice last week, but it didn't get down below 36F (I think). But the past several days have been cold, cloudy, windy, and complete with drizzle. Blech. I'm just not much for this sort of weather. ;))
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Nov 21, 2017 12:26 am

I'm in the Seattle area visiting relatives for the holidays, and the past few days have had the stereotypical weather this area is known for...low overcast, temps around 40F/4C, and frequent long periods of drizzle or light rain.

But hey, it could be snowing, right? ;)

stargazer

Previous