This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby fantasia » Nov 13, 2016 7:18 pm

We've had a few frosty mornings here recently, but I think I see the first hard freeze coming up on Thursday. In the meantime, it's going to warm back up again with highs in the mid-70Fs. I think I will do my best to be outside as much as possible this week. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 12:27 pm

I am back from school and today and this morning waiting for the school bus it was very chilly. Now it isn't too awful as I expect it is warmed up into the upper 50's now. It is very cloudy though with no sign of sunshine in sight.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Nov 15, 2016 1:07 pm

In addition to warming as I posted above, we're looking at setting record high temps today and tomorrow. I think in some parts of Kansas it may hit 80F tomorrow. Crazy...
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby HazyHays » Nov 15, 2016 1:13 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:In addition to warming as I posted above, we're looking at setting record high temps today and tomorrow. I think in some parts of Kansas it may hit 80F tomorrow. Crazy...

Also pretty nice here in Maryland, but not near the 80'd. It is in the low 60's though.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Nov 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Yeah, our typical high temps this time of year are the upper 50Fs. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby HazyHays » Nov 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Ours are usually in the mid to low 50's as highs and in the 30's as lows during this time.
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Nov 15, 2016 9:08 pm

Welcome, HazyHays! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Our average high here now is around 47F/9C, but we've been over that for quite a while. But winter arrives this weekend, with the season's first frost expected in the Twin Cities and up to 2 feet of snow (by some models) in eastern North Dakota and northwest Minnesota. This storm will move east next week, possibly affecting New York and New England.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 17, 2016 8:09 pm

The first official winter storm of the season ( at least according to the weather channel ) is finally upon us. It is raining as I sit here with snow expected to gather during the evening, then turning to rain again, then shifting to snow again as things get colder during the day. Estimates of actual snowfall vary by station I am watching. But it looks like I will be making use of a shovel.
From Brainerd to Duluth is estimated anywhere from seven to thirteen inches. Winds are going to be gusting from 30 to 50 MPH in some places.
Thankfully the offspring made his way home before it started to get wet.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 17, 2016 8:53 pm

HazyHays wrote:Ours are usually in the mid to low 50's as highs and in the 30's as lows during this time.

That sounds like midwinter temperatures down here. I'm afraid you'd probably find our weather a bit warm for your liking. Especially now we are finally getting some really normal November weather. The maximum today is 36 degrees Celsius, and it is only the beginning of summer. We have had some bushfires already, but hopefully people will learn to be careful the rest of the time until April.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 18, 2016 2:42 pm

36C is a pretty hot summer day here, though as we discussed earlier it tends to be extremely humid here which holds temperatures down but makes it uncomfortable.

That's a far cry from today, however. Our warm temps have come crashing down on winds howling from the northwest at over 50mph/90 km/hr. Here in far southern Minnesota it's just snow flurries, but in a swath of the state stretching from southwest to northeast travel is not advised as the wind is whipping piles of snow into drifts and whiteout conditions. Welcome to winter!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Nov 22, 2016 4:38 pm

We had a tiny warm weather break today. It was very nice out, I think 69F or 70F? We also had a tiny bit of much needed rain overnight.
We'll be back to cold weather tomorrow. ;))
I've seen that the northern and Rocky Mountain parts of the USA are getting hammered with snow just in time for Thanksgiving travel.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Nov 22, 2016 8:28 pm

The coveted Golden Snow Shovel award for last week's storm goes to the northern Minnesota town of Orr, which logged 26.4 inches/630mm. After a brief respite, another storm is blowing in from the southwest. Currently it is a cold rain here in southern Minnesota, with the freeze line just north of here. Areas just north of the Twin Cities metro may get up to 6 inches (150mm) of fresh snow just in time for Thanksgiving.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 23, 2016 4:31 am

You might yet be beaten for that golden snow award. I rather expect it to be snowing in Minnesota (47.7 degrees latitude) and all points northwards at this time of year. A cold snap is sending snow into the Australian Alps, maybe even Thredbo, and also in Tasmania. Today's date is November 23rd and it is supposed to be late spring, even summer. Hobart, in Tasmania, 42 degrees south (latitude) and the Australian Alps are about 37 degrees south (latitude).
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Nov 28, 2016 9:06 pm

The odd weather goes on and on here. Sunday night featured a cold rain, with temperatures above freezing. Normally that would be snow - and a lot of it - at this time of year.

We woke this morning to the sound of thunder and heavy rain. Thunderstorms are usually a summer thing due to the conditions required for their development. We had occasional torrential rains and even pea-sized hail.

To get such a storm this close to meteorological winter (which begins December 1) is unusual (though it can happen even in the winter, it's really rare, which explains Weather Channel meteorologist Jim Cantore geeking out about it on the air).
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Our first real cold snap is coming through tonight. I believe the high temp on Thursday is 29F. Better than they were originally saying (low 20Fs) but still. We MIGHT get some snow tonight. We're back up to 50% chance here, but even if we do, it will just be a trace.

Warming back up again by the weekend, but I will definitely have to dig out our warm winter coats now. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Dec 06, 2016 10:23 pm

Winter is making a belated appearance here in central and southern Minnesota as well (areas spared from recent large snowfalls). November was among the warmest on record, but it's about to become much colder.

Winds up to 70 mph (115 km/hr) will blow around new snow in North Dakota and northern Minnesota, and temperatures will sink to single-digits F (about -15C) in a couple days, with wind chills below 0F (-17C). The forecast for next Tuesday calls for a high of 8F (-13C) and a low of -7F (-22C) - not unusual for December but a bit nippier than what we've had of late.
stargazer

PreviousNext