This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 09, 2017 4:33 pm

That is just the range of temperatures we are having now down in the basement. This morning was 4C and the midday temperatures yesterday did not pass 18C. So a bit coolish for this time of year, since it is officially spring.

It seems that the North American continent is having quite a horrible autumn otherwise, with so many hurricanes around. This far south, though they still influence the weather here, we don't get the full force of cyclones, anywhere near as often as they do further north in Queensland, Northern Territory and the north part of Western Australia. Cyclones are hurricanes that spin in the opposite direction to hurricanes I believe.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Just as I posted the above comments on temperatures, summer decided it wasn't over yet despite the approaching equinox. Heat and humidity have returned, though not in full-summer mode. Tomorrow's predicted high is 88F/31C, significantly above the average though not quite a record.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Just as above, summer didn't get the memo that the September (autumnal) equinox is tomorrow, with highs approaching record territory today and tomorrow, with a lot of humidity. Today's high was 92F (33C) with a heat index of 96F (36C), and tomorrow may be warmer.

The trees are changing colors and snow can't be far away...or so the rumors say. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am

It's hot here too, but we are at the top of the temperature roller coaster and over the next few days we're going to go downhill rapidly. Storms are in the forecast for Sunday and next week the highs are supposed to be in the 70Fs. :D

Happy Fall/Autumn! :D
Or Spring as the case may be. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Thank you, Fantasia Kitty for your kind wishes :ymhug: . It is supposed to be the Spring Equinox but despite coolish night temperatures, we are facing the sort of summer conditions that made last summer rather a hellish experience with temperatures climbing to 36C or above. Very close to the 40C mark. There has been much pollen in the air, there has already been bushfires due to nearly two months of totally dry weather, and will a flu epidemic going around plus hayfever, yes we can do with some good wishes.

I don't understand weather reporting sometimes. They go by the maximums but when overnight temperatures can sink to as low as 10 degrees or lower and maximums climb to as much as 30 degrees higher than the minimums, it can be quite uncomfortable weather.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Hope it's a little more comfortable for you, wagga. Just the thoughts of those temperatures (and the pollen) make me uncomfortable.

After the previous week's heat, last week was awesome early autumn weather, cool, clear and crisp. Rain moved in yesterday and as I type this it's really coming down, with some spectacular lightning and thunder as a sideshow. (The past few months have been dry so we need the rain, but it's coming down so fast much of it might just wash away).
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Oct 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Just a few weeks after summer heat, we have frost advisories for tonight over much of Minnesota. The local growing season might not end quite yet thanks to the urban heat island effect.

The trees started changing colors early this year, but while some have burst into vibrant reds and oranges, many seem to have put the change on hold. There is still lots of green to be seen out there.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Oct 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Just a few weeks after summer heat, we have frost advisories for tonight over much of Minnesota. The local growing season might not end quite yet thanks to the urban heat island effect.

The trees started changing colors early this year, but while some have burst into vibrant reds and oranges, many seem to have put the change on hold. There is still lots of green to be seen out there.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 12, 2017 6:47 am

Every year I think I'm ready for winter, and every year a big cold front comes through, I step outside and go "Never mind! Not ready." :))
Seriously though, as much as I'm not looking forward to the cold, we need a good, hard winter. The insects and arachnids this year have just been terrible.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Meanwhile, those Asian beetles and box elder bugs are all over around here.

This week should be awesome fall weather, highs around 70F/21C with crystal clear blue skies. I celebrated today by driving up part of the St Croix River valley, ending with a campfire and stargazing session at a state park near Stillwater. Fun times.

Highs by Friday could be 20F/11C over average.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 19, 2017 10:07 pm

And Down Under, after little or no rain since last July, believe it or not, it is finally raining. However, though there have been one or two warmish days, the weather has been treating us well, otherwise. Cool and bracing in the morning and daytime temperatures have been quite bearably in a range from 20C to 28C. Except for yesterday, which was 31C maximum. We could really do with the rain, so I can't and won't grizzle about it.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 24, 2017 10:52 am

I hope you get some rain, wagga, before the heat of summer sets in.

Meanwhile, the past week here has been glorious autumn weather, with crisp blue skies, temps around 70F/21C by day and cool nights, and lots of beautiful colors.

That's about to change, however. It's very windy today and I may take one last fall color tour along the Mississippi. Snow is in the forecast by this weekend, up to 3 inches (75mm). Certainly nothing to write home about other than being the start of the winter season.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 26, 2017 6:23 am

The above mentioned cold front is going to arrive here today at about 2pm. After that the temperatures are going to drop and we will have our first hard freeze tonight. I'm ready, but not ready. :P ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm

We had a fairly large frost last night. Out on my walk this morning at dawn, the air was gloriously crisp and cold (-4C/25F). Ahhh, the scent of autumn, love it! Orion was blazing high in the SW—I never tire of that sight—with beautiful Venus burning in the eastern sky. ♥

The leaves have just reached their peak here, 'though a number are still green. They were not brilliant this year, but rather muted. Still, very, very pretty.

September was the July we never had. Far too warm with no rain. Not pleasant, no preciousss. Our summer was exceptionally rainy and cool, so what a contrast. The weather sure was mixed up.

October is my favourite month and it's sad to see it go for another year. But at least we're headed into more fall and winter, which is my cuppa tea. ;))

I have not heard snow in the forecast here yet, but it's cold enough to most nights.

It's SO good to be out walking again in these invigorating temperatures, colourful trees, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, stunning cloud formations, crackling bonfires, with the smell of dried leaves and moist earth all around. ♥
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Oct 27, 2017 11:05 am

Jo, your post summarizes so well the things I love about this time of year. The past couple weeks have generally been spectacular here, with lots of color, nice weather, and several bonfires (the last one being Wednesday night, in light of the weather forecast).

The season's first snow is upon us, falling as I type this, already thick enough to cover a lot of the grass. It's also very windy, so the windchill is probably more worthy of November. Is it too early to sing "Let it Snow"? ;))
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 29, 2017 5:08 pm

We had the snow fall for the last couple days. Thankfully not in the quantities predicted, but enough to make the ground white for about two days. Right now we have only a few shaded areas that are still covered. Our trees are mostly turned but the Red Maple is still stubbornly holding out. It usually waits for a good foot of the white stuff before dropping them so I cannot rake them up.
I am looking forward to those walks myself my good hobbit. The woods beckon with the chance of adding some squirrel, and rabbit to my larder.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext