This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Les Miserables!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Special Feature: Les Miserables!

Postby Princess Anna » Dec 25, 2012 3:55 pm

First off, sorry this is so late! I had meant to have it opened a week or so ago. Oh, well... better late than never, right? :ymblushing: ;))

Anyway, I figured because of the new movie (musical version), we should have a place to discuss all things Les Mis! Yup, I said all things. That means: films (television ones included), the musical (and non-musical productions), radio productions, and of course... the novel itself!

I must admit, my knowledge of it isn't as great as it is for some of you. I mainly am an "expert" of the musical. As for the book, all I've read is the beginning chapters (long ago), and the Gavroche parts (whenever I see the show, I end up looking :p ). Sorry, guys! I promise to read the whole thing at some point before I die! (hopefully it gets read soon. Reading it more than once would be fun ;) )

But enough about me, and my limited knowledge! First I'll list some trivia, and then post a few questions for ya. :)

The Facts
The Book
-was first published in 1862
-of course, the author was Victor Hugo

The Musical
1980- first production, which was produced in Paris
1985- the english translation was first produced in London
1987- it appeared on Broadway for the first time

1) How (and when) were you introduced to the story?
2) Do you prefer the musical or the book? Or are they equal?
3) Which characters do you like best, and why?
4) Have you seen the musical? If so, how many times?
5) What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you. ;) )
6) For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why?

I'd love to have more questions for you, but my mind is running blank. Feel free to add some! Have fun!! :D :ymhug:

p.s. Two more things, guys. (and I thank you in advance for complying)
1) Again, please keep things about the new movie in spoilers.
2) Please remember to keep the Nweb Rules in mind, when posting.
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Re: Les Miserables!

Postby wild rose » Dec 25, 2012 11:43 pm

1) How (and when) were you introduced to the story? I was first introduced to the story by my mom when I was around six, she told me about Jean Valjean and how he went to the priest and then a little about Fantine, only waaaay later when I was like 16 I realized the story she told me was Les Miserables, though I only got around to reading the book after I watched the Musical about half a year ago
2) Do you prefer the musical or the book? Or are they equal? Well, this is tough, generally, I really love the musical, and I love the songs and everything, but, I think I like the book more, there is so much power and feeling and emotion in the book. Drove me to tears when I first read it and every time I re-read it I get a lump in my throat. The only thing that really bothers me with the musical is that they gave a slight change to certain characters, specifically Eponine, in the musical she is totally different from the book
3) Which characters do you like best, and why? I think my favorite Characters would be Jean Valjean, I love this man, how he had been so wronged and how he changes and go about doing good things, even though he has to take a different name and keep running from the police. I also really like Javert, especially the way he is portrayed in the book, proud and bending to no one, with his every duty to the law. And I also love Cosette, her innocent happy character. I suppose I like Eponine in the musical, and I most definitely feel so sorry for her, both in the book and in the musical, but I don't like it when people get all angry that Marius should have married Eponine and not Cosette, how Eponine was better and deserved to be with Marius. If you read the book, Eponine is a dirty, ragged girl whose voice is raspy from drinking all the time and constantly stalk Marius, even goes so far as trying to get rid of Cosette and sending Marius to the barricade just so she can be with him. And Marius, though feeling sorry for her, doesn't care for her at all, and even if he wanted to, he could marry her, he barely got his grandfather to let him marry Cosette, Eponine would just be totally out of the question. I like Marius and Fantine too, and of course Gavroche (who is actually Eponine's brother) but they aren't really my favorite. Oh and the priest, the priest was just amazing!!!
4) Have you seen the musical? If so, how many times? Yes I've seen the musical, (though of course only on video) I've watched the 25th anniversary concert about ten times, I've seen the 10th anniversary concert about five times, I also dug out on the internet a video of the 25th anniversary tour and watched that about four times, oh and I saw another version of the musical on youtube, but I didn't like it very much, the voices were a bit weak.
5) What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you. ;) ) The movie only comes out in Russia in February, so I'm waiting till them :)
6) For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why? If I could play (and if I could sing :p ) I would love to play Cosette, she's my favorite female character, and the one I would feel the most comfortable playing

I've also seen the 1998 Les Miserables, and it is amazing, the acting is superb, Liam Neeson is a most amazing Jean Valjean and Geoffrey Rush is perhaps the best Javert I've seen so far. I was a little disappointed with the changes they put in the end, how they took some characters out, but I loved the movie very much just the same, the acting is truly amazing
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Arwenel » Dec 26, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm not certain. I'm vaguely aware of when i first saw the '98 movie, which was my first introduction to Les Mis, which must have happened sometime between after the age of 14 and before 16.

Several years later, two of my cousins were cast in their high school's production - one of them was Val Jean :), which was my first introduction to the musical.

Some time after that, my mom read the book to us for school.

Oh, definitely the musical. I prefer the '98 movie in terms of plot - the musical's plot is kinda thin - but the music is glorious. I love it more every time i listen.

I call the '98 version the "best bad adaption" i've ever seen: it cuts out huge parts, rewrites characters, and ends way before the book or musical does, but it retains the heart of the story. It's also the first version of Les Mis i ever saw - the only one for years - so the changes weren't too bad for me. In some ways ... i actually prefer it even to the musical. *ducks tomatoes*

The book - well, i didn't care for it. At all. I might try reading it again sometime in the future, maybe.

Val Jean is certainly the best in terms of .. well, character, but Javert can be interesting if portrayed right. Eponine and Fantine are rather sympathetic/pitiable.

I've only seen the actual musical once. I saw a high school version, which is more or less the same, so that makes twice in total.

5) What did you think of the new movie?

I haven't seen it yet, but i plan on doing so soon. Anne Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" ... wow. Just wow.

6) For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why?

I doubt i have the acting or singing ability to pull any of it off, but if i could, i'd play Eponine. Her part is the closest to my range, i think, and she has a sizable part and a fair amount of characterization and emotion.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby stargazer » Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm

I don't remember. ;)) It was many moons ago. I think my first introduction to the story was in a sermon or comment at church in which the Bishop's act of mercy toward Jean Valjean was described. (Imagine my surprise when I later learned that it comes very early in the book, and that it's a rather minor event - except in the effect it has on his character).

I don't remember my first experience with the musical either. Must be old age. ;) I probably heard the occasional song as a kid but only later put the pieces together.

I didn't read the book, cover to cover, until I was in my 40s (gasp!). It was a great experience, a very informal sort of reading group here on the forum, with Cymru, lysander, and others. We'd exchange our thoughts and comments either by PM or by posting them in the old Town Squares. I'm convinced doing this with others was part of the reason I was able to read the whole book.

Each has its own draw to me. The book has a rich tapestry of character and history, while the musical manages to express many of the great points of the story in a different way.

Jean Valjean. We see things through his eyes and it's in him many of the great themes of the story are shown: grace and forgiveness, learning to love again, and adoption (via Cosette). Javert makes an excellent adversary to him, helping to point out the theme of law (legalism) vs. grace (forgiveness).

Not in person.

5) What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you.)

Not yet. :)

I don't qualify in the slightest. But it'd be fun to portray Jean Valjean if I had the skills.

I've also seen the 1998 film version wild rose mentions. Neeson and Rush do make a good pair of leads, and I like parts of the movie very much. The ending was a disappointment, and some of my favorite parts of the book were left out, but that's understandable given the length and complexity of the story.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby daughter of the King » Jan 04, 2013 8:43 am

1) How (and when) were you introduced to the story? I first read the book when I was 15. It took me awhile to get through it, but I was glad I finished it. The following year the community theater where I lived did the musical. I had to write a paper on it for one of my classes and I went to see the show twice. It was amazing. :D

2) Do you prefer the musical or the book? Or are they equal? Hard question! I like the book a lot, but it is hard to read. The musical is somewhat easier to connect with, but it leaves so much out!

3) Which characters do you like best, and why? Jean Valjean. I like his story and how the progression of his character is shown in the book and the musical.

4) Have you seen the musical? If so, how many times? I've seen it live twice. Do the concerts count as having seen it? :p I've watched both the 10th and the 25th anniversary concerts several times.

5) What did you think of the new movie? I liked it a lot. I was annoyed with some of the editing, and I thought the vocals suffered occasionally from recording it live. Javert's solos were brilliantly filmed, and for the most part I thought the way they moved around some of the songs worked. My biggest problem with it was probably Valjean's added song "Suddenly." If they were going to add a song, why didn't they add one for Marius and Cosette? They really don't get enough interaction in the musical.

6) For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why? Eponine, because she's the only one in my range. :p
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby wild rose » Jan 04, 2013 12:53 pm

stargazer wrote:I've also seen the 1998 film version wild rose mentions. Neeson and Rush do make a good pair of leads, and I like parts of the movie very much. The ending was a disappointment, and some of my favorite parts of the book were left out, but that's understandable given the length and complexity of the story.

I agree that the end was rather disappointing, the first part of the movie goes so well and very close to the book, and then the second half suddenly gets very different. What I really didn't like the most was that the combined the characters of Marius and Enjolras into one person, and I did not like what came out. And I was sorry that they left out the character of Eponine.The movie is strong and really gets the point across, and I understand why they did what they did, but I still wish they had stayed a little closer to the book with the second half. I recently debated my brother on this, because he never read the book and he loves the movie and I suppose he thought that I was attacking it. I had a hard time telling him that I love the movie too, but I was still a little disappointed in a few things, but I think he finally got the point :p and he wants to read the book, as soon as I buy it (cause for now I've only got it in ebook form and no one in my family loves reading off a screen)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Re: Special Feature: Les Miserables!

Postby coracle » Jan 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Princess Anna wrote:1) How (and when) were you introduced to the story?

1. I went to see the musical in London early in my first visit there, September 1988. It was really great, and part of my early excitement of London. My friend there had suggested I didn't bother with 'Phantom' but should see 'Les Mis' which I barely knew of at the time. I got a cassette tape copy of the music and loved it.
2. I still haven't read the book. Certainly do like the musical!
3. I'm fond of Gavroche for his urchin endearing quality, Valjean for his courage and living out a life restored by grace. The Thenardiers are darkly comic and enjoyable but I wouldn't like to know them in real life. I also have a sad respect for the poor policeman who still lives under Law.
4. I have seen the London professional production (when it was still fresh and new) and a high quality local production in the mid 1990s. This will be the third time, and I hope to enjoy it as a fresh look at the story.
6. Realistically I would be a woman in the chorus, probably a scruffy one. Would love to be one of the students, full of ideals and hope.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lady Haleth » Jan 12, 2013 6:57 pm

I just watched the '98 version (spoilers):
I didn't like the fact that it ends at Javert's suicide. Neeson was very good as Valjean, though. I also didn't like the fact that they combined Marius and Enjolras. Having Marius be both the lovelorn young man and the revolutionary leader was a bit jarring
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 13, 2013 1:54 pm

My mom introduced me to the music before we say the play in Philadelphia in 2008, but I didn't really know what was going on. (I realized that the man who played Jean Valjean then is currently the Phantom on Broadway. :D ) Then my mom recorded the 25th anniversary concert performance when it aired and I watched that and just fell in love with it. (The fact that Lea Salonga, Samantha Barks, and Ramin Karimloo were in it had a huge influence since they are fantastic.) After that, I kept listening to the music, looking up videos on youtube, etc.

I did read the book and it took a long time. I didn't really enjoy the book as much as others because there was a lot of historical and political references I did not understand, but I definitely enjoyed the writing. IT helped to have the wikipedia page open at times. I definitely prefer the musical more because it presents more emotion and has such beautiful music. Some of the characters are more dynamic in the book, such as Cosette, particularly the relationship between Cosette and Marius I prefer in the book. However, some of the characters I definitely prefer in the musical, especially Eponine and I definitely prefer her relationship with Marius more than Marius and Cosette in the musical.

The Thenardiers will always be awesome characters, and I love Helena Bonham Carter so I was really happy with that casting. I thought she did a great job, although some of her scenes were taken a bit too far. I'm pretty sure that everyone loves Eponine, and I am also a big Samatha Barks fan so I was really happy when I heard that casting.

I have only seen the musical live once in Philadelphia, but I have watched the 25th anniversary concert performance a number of times. I got the DVD for Christmas, so I'm sure I'll be watching it quite a lot more in the future.

5) What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you. )

Just so you all know, there are some changes in the movie from the musical, but basically all the things that were added or changed are from the book, such as
hiding in the convent or the way Eponine dies, even the elephant statue. I really loved the movie and cried a number of times. Anne Hathaway did a great job as Fantine and I Dreamed a Dream was absolutely chilling. There were some parts of songs that were cut, added, or moved around and at first that was a bit jarring since I'm so familiar to the songs, but overall I thought it worked really well cinematically. I especially loved the last scene when Jean Valjean dies. At first I was worried about how they were going to do that scene because it would be awkward if they had all the characters there as ghosts, but I absolutely loved the new barricade. It worked really well with the song and made me literally want to "be strong and stand" with them in the movie theater. A really nice touch was the fact that the Bishop was the first one there to welcome him to heaven since it all started with him. I wish I could have applauded after some songs and I'm sure others would have felt that way too.

I would definitely want to play Eponine. I'm pretty sure eveyone loves her and she is such a dynamic character. She also has the beautiful song "On My Own", which everyone can relate to at some point.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby darkhorseD » Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm

How (and when) were you introduced to the story?
Until the movie, I had no idea what the story was other than that it was set just after the French Rev., and that was about a week ago

Do you prefer the musical or the book? Or are they equal?
Having never read the book, I can't answer this question

Which characters do you like best, and why?
I know this might seem weird, but I personally really liked Javert's character, mainly because he was alot more interesting than the others, but I can't like Javert without liking Valjean, so its a bit of a tie for me

Have you seen the musical? If so, how many times?
I've only ever seen the movie, and if that counts it was only once

What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you).
I personally really liked it, especially
the multiple confrontations between Vljean and Javert

For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why?
If I was in the musical, I would want to play Javert, mainly cause he gets some pretty awesome songs to sing, and, unlike other villains, he actually has alot of substance to his character.
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock
Here comes your final hour

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
The worlds left in its wake
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am

How (and when) were you introduced to the story?
when I was little I used to read this book called "The Book of Virtues" which was basically a compilation book full of story excerpts and poems and they had a bit from Les Mis about Jean Valjean :)

Do you prefer the musical or the book? Or are they equal?
having not actually read the book, I can't answer this question :P

Which characters do you like best, and why?
Jean Valjean's transformation through the Priest's forgiveness is inspiring. I love how the heart-hardened Valjean excepts that forgiveness and goes on to help others :)

Have you seen the musical? If so, how many times?
this past November, my sister and I were lucky enough to go to a local theater production of Les Mis :) it was fantastic to finally see the play ;)

What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you).
I love this movie sooooooooooo much! I love everything!! the cast, the crew, everything, was so well done :) I've already seen it twice!! :D

For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why?
ooh, I'd love to play Eponine :) she just seems like she'd be interesting to play :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Lady Haleth » Jan 15, 2013 4:11 pm

How (and when) were you introduced to the story?. The story of Valjean and the priest was used as an illustration at youth group a couple of times.
Do you prefer the musical or the book? Or are they equal?.
I haven't read the book yet.
Which characters do you like best, and why?. I like Valjean because of how he changes from the hardened convict to a kind and generous man. I also like Marius, probably because his love for Cosette is adorable--he's clueless, but it's kind of cute. I also liked Enjolras because of his devotion to his cause.
It was amazing. Good singing, great costumes--it almost made me cry, and I can count the number of movies that do that on one hand.
Actually, I just about cried three times, at "Bring Him Home," "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables, and Valjean's death.

For my fellow theatre people out there... if you could be in the musical, who would you want to play... and why?.
I don't sing, but of all the female roles I think Eponine gets the best songs. So if I could sing I'd probably want to be her.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm

I had a chance to watch the new movie today and echo many of the comments already made. Thumbs up!

I thought Russell Crowe especially did a good job singing Javert. I recall concerns about Anne Hathaway back when she was cast but thought she did well with Fantine's songs as well.

I liked the nods to the book in small things, such as the fancy doll given to little Cosette after Valjean rescues her, the elephant statue, and the recurring views of the candlesticks. Valjean's death scene was touching, and it was great to see the Bishop welcome him into heaven.

On a lighter note, the opening scene, with the prisoners pulling the ropes, reminded me a bit of the opening scene of the animated Prince of Egypt, in which the Hebrews pull ropes while singing "Deliver Us." ;))

The performance of my favorite song from the musical, "Do You Hear the People Sing?" was well done.

Speaking of "Do You Hear the People Sing?" I wanted to once again link a favorite video of that song, in which Valjean performers from 17 countries sing it in their native languages as the finale of the 10th Anniversary Concert:

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby darkhorseD » Jan 22, 2013 6:11 am

stargazer wrote:On a lighter note, the opening scene, with the prisoners pulling the ropes, reminded me a bit of the opening scene of the animated Prince of Egypt, in which the Hebrews pull ropes while singing "Deliver Us." ;))[/spoiler]

Wow, I can't believe I missed that, considering I've seen the Prince of Egypt many times.
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock
Here comes your final hour

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
The worlds left in its wake
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 26, 2013 3:21 am

I first learned about Les Misérables in Leaving Certificate French when we had to translate and study an extract from this book in 1963-64. It was the bit where the Bishop meets Jean Valjean, and forgives him for pinching all that stuff, giving up the candlesticks as well. I've also read the book in French, but not very well. I tended to skip anything I couldn't work out easily, and, like Charles Dickens, Hugo seems to digress at times.

Later, about 1998, I finally read the book in English. #:-s I've also been aware of an old movie of Les Misérables produced in 1935 and which I have seen on TV and maybe also on DVD. There is no singing in this movie, except for a bit where the four main revolutionaries, including Marius and Enjolais, link arms and walk out the room, singing a revolutionary song. This movie finished with Inspector Javert's death, but the DVD or Video I saw more recently seems to have dealt with Cosette's eventual marriage as well. I don't remember much of this, only that the wretched tune won't leave me altogether and I can't stop whistling or humming it to myself sometimes. :-$

I was given a copy of the 25th anniversary edition of the musical for Christmas by my daughter who said she got sick of my singing that wretched tune when I haven't the least idea of the words. Today, she accompanied me to see the movie. More about that later on in my post.

I still have to get around to watching the musical I was given for Christmas. If the movie I saw today is an accurate reflection of the musical then it doesn't have the same revolutionary song as the 1935 movie. I've never seen the musical.

The bishop of course. He was kind to Jean Valjean when nobody else was. I also felt very sorry for Fantine. Although the Thenardiers might have been funny, I thought of them as sewer rats, frankly and thought that in the book they got a better deal than they ever deserved. I liked Marius as well, and though I thought that the hardships that Eponine endured were to some extent poetic justice for the hardships inflicted on Cosette and Fantine, I ended up feeling sorry for her when she died. Especially as it didn't seem to have much effect on D.O.D (Dear old Dad) Thenardier.

5) What did you think of the new movie?

I enjoyed the movie though it was a real tear jerker. I thought the actors could have done with less singing, myself. None of the lead actors, with the possible exception of Anne Hathaway and the older Cosette really were top notch singers. Russell Crowe (Javert) sings a bit better than Hugh Jackman's Jean ValJean (sorry Hugh!) Did anyone note that both the actors playing Javert & Valjean are Australian? :ymsmug:

I also liked the way the movie kept to the main highlights of the story including showing the final dénouement when Marius learns that it was Jean Valjean who saved his life from the Thenardiers. It was done with a ring rather than the scrap of material of the book. I loved the ending which was so Narnian in a way, and I loved the revolutionary song, sung by the whole crowd, even though it wasn't the same as the earlier one stuck in my brain.

I found it interesting that the movie has Javert, with his rigid adherence to the law, singing how he came from a prison background, himself.

My daughter remarked that it was an oddly French choice of movie for Australia Day. But then maybe not. Jean François de Galaup, Comte de Lapérouse, a French naval officer, arrived off Botany Bay 24/01/1788, just as Captain Arthur Phillip and his First Fleet of 11 ships, carrying convicts, were shifting to Port Jackson. On 26/01/1788 Phillip claimed New South Wales for Great Britain, calling the new settlement Sydney. To this day the Sydney suburb of La Pérouse, on the Northern headland of Botany Bay, commemorates this French explorer, who was shipwrecked in Vanuatu.

I am reminded by Les Misérables that many convicts who were sent here to Sydney committed felonies not much worse than those of Jean Valjean, and that some of them went on to live quite good lives. One of them, Mary Reiby, who became a top businesswoman, is currently depicted on our $20 banknotes. I thought you might like to know. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby check_the_gate » Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

My sister (who is quite a bit older than me) was a theater major in college, so that's probably when I first heard about it. However, one of my good friends went to see a musical adaptation of it at a high school in our hometown and she kept telling me that I NEEDED to see it. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to it until the movie came out a month ago...

Haven't read the book, but know that it is extremely long. :-\ I wish I had time to delve into that, but unfortunately I don't. However, typically books are better than movies (or musicals, I guess)...because they can go into much more detail. But I'm not sure. I will have to read/see both. :)

I LOVED the character of Eponine (sp?) in the motion picture production. For some reason, her character intrigued me. I think it was because she was so passionate in her portrayal of a love sick young woman who comes from a not-so-well-off family. As a movie-goer, I pity her...but that actually makes me feel more empathetic towards her, strangely enough.

Unfortunately, no. :(

5) What did you think of the new movie? (please keep the answer for this one in spoilers... not everyone gets to see it the first day, and wants to have the same experience as you. ;) )

I LOVED IT. I saw it twice. And...I never see movies twice (except the Narnia movies, of course ;) ). It was THAT GOOD. This isn't really a spoiler, but I prettttty much cried the entire time. Not because it was sad, but because it was SO emotionally intriguing. From the first few minutes, I began to build connections with the characters and became emotionally invested in their stories. Definitely a roller coaster ride of emotions throughout the whole movie! :ymsmug: GO SEE IT.
"If you're going through hell...keep going"
~Winston Churchill

check_the_gate
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next