This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby Kevin LionsMane » Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Johobbit, fantasia_kitty, & The Rose-Tree Dryad,

Greetings and thank you all for the warm welcome! It is truly an honor and blessing to be part of a forum with such nice folk as yourselves. I am anxiously awaiting the Silver Chair film! Thank you very much for the kind words about my avatar and my signature, greatly appreciated! Hope to see you all around the forum or the member chat! :)
The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself.
Kevin LionsMane
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby ErlianRain » Jan 20, 2016 10:57 am

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): ErlianRain. Kind of an interesting name, I know :T I chose Erlian because The Last Battle is my favorite book in the Narnia series, and for some reason I've always really loved King Erlian's name. Since I used to name pets after Narnia characters, I have a large collection of the obscure ones. As to the "Rain" part, that name and I go way back. When I was in middle school I created a character named Rain, and she and I have stuck together through a lot of stories throughout the years. We grew a lot over the years, so I like to include her in my many variations of usernames >v<

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): Queen

3. Family (single/married/kids): Single

4. Occupation: I will be teaching English in South Korea soon~ I just graduated college

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: glumPuddle told me to join because we both are nerds about Narnia. And I mean it's Narnia, so how could I refuse?

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: I read them for myself when I was around 11, but before that my mom would read them to me. It's been a long time~

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: So many times I've got most of the key passages memorized. Ask me a question about the books and I'll probably know the answer off the top of my head :3

8. Favorite of the Chronicles: The Last Battle <3

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I'm a big reader and writer, those are definitely my favorite hobbies. Other than that I draw (traditional sketching and digital art), play music (piano/guitar/some violin), dance (mostly hip-hop and KPOP dances), and watch movies. I'm a huge movie buff. My favorite class I took in college was definitely Shakespeare and Film because it combined two of my favorite things––the Bard and movies! ;)

Well, I'm very glad to meet you all :) I look forward to geeking out with you about Narnia :D
ErlianRain
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, ErlianRain! :-h I like your username; the shared letters in "Erlian" and "Rain" give it a nice aesthetic. :D

Very cool that you used to name pets after Narnia characters; I'd love for you to drop by the Pets Blog and tell us about them sometime!

So neat that you'll be teaching in South Korea soon! Enjoy the kimchi. :D

Since you like reading and watching films, I'll recommend the books thread and the movies thread over here in the Spare Oom. There's often good conversation to be found in both of those threads.

Glad that you joined us! Enjoy exploring the forum, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Jan 21, 2016 6:35 am

Ditto to Rose! ;)) :) Welcome to NarniaWeb, ErlianRain. Glad to have you here and enjoy the discussions all around! :D
johobbit

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Jan 22, 2016 1:21 pm

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): ValiantPevensie4. I use this name on Goodreads as well and people there like to call me Val.
4. Occupation: Aspiring writer
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: I just came across it when I was looking up movie news when the third one came out.
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: I'm going to guess five or six but I don't remember. My dad read them to my siblings and I.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: I've lost count!
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: Oh, I don't know! I love to draw and make things with polymer clay and I watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books... I also really love music and I play piano, handbells, guitar, and ukulele. I have an art account on Instagram if anyone wants to check it out. It's @artofalassiel. And I already said my Goodreads name is the same as here. So if we anyone wants to connect there look me up! BUT, what I consider to be the single most interesting thing about me and also one of the things I'm most proud of is that I share a birthday with C.S. Lewis himself! And not just that. It's an exact 100 year difference!
My biggest disappointment in life is that I am the only one in my family who didn't see a Narnia movie in the theater. Even though I love it the most and they will all admit that. But at least I share a birthday with C.S. Lewis.
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey there, ValiantPevensie4! Welcome to NarniaWeb. :-h

That is so cool about sharing your birthday with C.S. Lewis, with exactly one hundred years between you! What a neat piece of trivia to be able to share with people!

Your art over on Instagram is so pretty and creative; you're very talented! I noticed that you have INFP listened on your page, too. We actually have a thread here in the Spare Oom devoted to personality types, if that interests you! (I'm perhaps a bit TOO obsessed with studying typologies, I'm afraid. ;)))

I'm glad that you decided to join the community! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Have fun exploring all of the discussions! (I see that you've already found Games & Blogs—that's one of my favorite subforums. :D)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Jan 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, ValiantPevensie4! That is exceedingly cool you share your birthday with CSL. :D We hope you enjoy the discussions here on the forum! I'm curious: your favourite Chronicle is TVotDT ... how did you like the 2010 film?
johobbit

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Jan 24, 2016 12:57 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Your art over on Instagram is so pretty and creative; you're very talented! I noticed that you have INFP listened on your page, too. We actually have a thread here in the Spare Oom devoted to personality types, if that interests you! (I'm perhaps a bit TOO obsessed with studying typologies, I'm afraid. ;)))

Thank you very much! I'll definitely check out that thread! I first started looking into MBTI as a way to better develop my characters in my stories and now I'm really interested in it!

johobbit wrote:I'm curious: your favourite Chronicle is TVotDT ... how did you like the 2010 film?

Well, I actually really enjoyed it! It's obviously not much like the book and I don't think it was as well made as the others but I enjoyed it a lot anyway. I really love Narnia in general and though I'll always prefer the books I loved all three of the movies and can enjoy them without being to bothered by the changes. I think that if I hadn't already seen the other movies and loved the cast so much I might've been less accepting of the third one though. The first time I saw it I really hated but after re-watching it a couple times I ended up loving it. When both of the other movies I loved them from the very start. Some changes are actually alright with me because I get that sometimes you need to change the story for it to work on screen. What I absolutely am not okay with is the implication that Aslan gave Caspian's father magic swords. Technically, Bern says that the swords are from The Golden Age and are gifts from Aslan to protect Narnia. He also says that King Caspian IX gave them to the Lords. So, he doesn't actually say that they were gifts TO Caspian's father but I felt like it was strange either way that he would even want to give his Lords old Narnian swords that they at least knew were from Aslan, who they don't believe in anyway. That bothered me because it contradicts everything we know about the Telmarines from PC. And if it is supposed to mean that Aslan gave the swords to them then it contradicts what we know about Aslan as well. And the mist was pretty annoying and random but I felt like it was one of those things that you could argue was simply done to make it a more interesting movie, or whatever. The sword thing just feels like people not caring enough to get their facts straight. But overall, I actually love it. If I were going to recommend it to someone who had only read the books I would suggest watching them in order and make sure that they know not to expect it to be just like the book.
My biggest disappointment in life is that I am the only one in my family who didn't see a Narnia movie in the theater. Even though I love it the most and they will all admit that. But at least I share a birthday with C.S. Lewis.
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Keinware » Apr 12, 2016 7:34 am

First of all, I have to thank whoever let me into this forum, I'm appreciated

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Keinware
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King
4. Occupation: Student
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: I just searched on the internet then I found this amazing web
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: I'm sorry that I didn't read the book actually, but I will arrange time for it after graduation because I'm now too busy
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: As I mentioned, 0
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Prince Caspian
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I listen to music a lot, we can talk about it.
Keinware
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby johobbit » Apr 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Keinware. Good to have you here. :) Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've begun reading the Chronicles. They are amazing stories, to put it mildly. ;) :D And it seems they become more precious with every re-read!

I see you enjoy music (me too!). We have a Music topic, which was sunk to the depths of the Spare Oom :P but feel free to revive it with your comments, if you wish. :)
johobbit

Postby Silly Girl » May 19, 2016 9:44 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Here goes for nothing ;)

Name (please avoid your real full name): Silly Girl
4. Occupation: Student
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Surfing the net, I came across this forum, and have been interested ever since.
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: It wasn't very long ago...it was when the first movie came out. I went ahead and got the book.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Read the whole series once.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: I must say LWW as it was the book that got me into it. I still remember how I felt the Aslan sacrifice scene. It was so well written that it brought tears to my eyes...I don't recall having a similar experience reading any book. I think it was so beautifully written. I can't tell you the exact words, but I can tell you exactly how I felt when reading it.
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I absolutely love music. I play the piano. I'm a biiiiiig Beatles and an ABBA fan. I like reading books, photography, and stupid as it may sound, I like getting lost...like going for long walks and just trying to go wherever the road leads me. I've discovered some of the most beautiful things that way :)
For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the Sun.
Silly Girl
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » May 19, 2016 11:55 am

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Silly Girl. (I kind of feel odd calling you that, but it is your username. ;)) Glad you're here! :)

Your telling of reading Aslan's sacrifice is very moving. I think more than a few of us can relate.

Another music fan here! We do have a music topic in the Spare Oom, and will link to it when I can. Also a book and photography topic for discussion.

I like getting lost...like going for long walks and just trying to go wherever the road leads me. I've discovered some of the most beautiful things that way

That is just really cool and special—adventurous! :D
johobbit

Postby Silly Girl » May 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks johobbit! Nice to meet you.
Hehe...my username is taken from a Beatles' song (Martha my dear :D )

I would love to explore the forum for sure. Please do link those threads to me if you can :)

Thanks once again :)
Silly Girl
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » May 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Okee-dokee, below are a few links. :) Some of the topics have not been posted in for quite awhile, but they're still open! The Photography thread is locked, but we can re-open it if you wish.

Musicians' Café

Favorite Music

Books
johobbit

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

A belated "welcome" to Keinware! :-h I almost envy you, preparing to read the Chronicles for the first time! As Jo said, though, they really do get better with every re-read, so I'm not too jealous. :)

Secondly, welcome to NarniaWeb, Silly Girl! Your username makes me smile. :) I love the Beatles and ABBA as well! If you ever take any photos of the places you happen on when you get "lost," I hope that you'll post them on the photography thread... your adventurous wanderings sound so neat!

If either of you have any questions, feel free to ask! Have fun exploring the forum. :D
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Silly Girl » May 21, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks Rose-Tree Dryad :)
It's soooo lovely to meet another Beatles and ABBA fan :ymhug:

Will surely post when I find something interesting during one of my adventures.. ;)

Thanks one again :)
Silly Girl
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext