Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby johobbit » Oct 27, 2017 3:35 am

I'm behind in welcomes! :ymblushing:

A warm welcome to you, hermit! It's interesting to me, too, that your intro to the Chronicles was Prince Caspian, very cool! :)

Welcome to the forum, Eustace! 'Though Voyage is undeniably a wonderful book, I'm curious why it is your favourite of the series, as one doesn't often hear of it as such. My two most compelling scenes in Voyage is the un-dragoning of Eustace and Lucy and the albatross.

Kalta79, welcome to NarniaWeb! While I have seen all 3 recent movies, I almost envy you that you haven't. LWW was bearable, and even spot on in some ways, but the other two I could live without. :P BBC for me, anyday! We'll see how The Silver Chair pans out. It is my favourite book of the Chronicles (with HHB being a close second), so my expectations are probably far too high. ;))

That's cool you're a writer, as are many here. We do have a Writer's topic here, mentioned in Rose-Tree Dryad's post above.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Further up and further in!
johobbit

Postby aileth » Oct 28, 2017 9:01 am

Kalta79 wrote:I haven't seen the recent film version...well I just saw one part at a friend's, the fight with the wolves on the frozen river, and knowing that wasn't in the book, that it was most likely put in for commercial value, put me off those movies. So I don't bother comparing the BBC version to it, since I haven't seen the entire Walden version, and don't intend to.

It was the polar bears on the poster that kept me from watching the 2005 LWW for many years. As it turned out, that part wasn't so bad (but really, when the reindeer were CGI anyway, they should have made them small, as they were in the book /end rant)
I can't say that I haven't enjoyed the Walden movies, but then the books are so much better :) Just wish that BBC had done the whole series. In spite of the flaws in production (which I didn't notice as a kid) they are still enjoyable. Contrary to some people, I quite liked the BBC Aslan; I remain very fond of the music.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
NarniaWeb Junkie
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby johobbit » Oct 28, 2017 12:19 pm

aileth wrote:Just wish that BBC had done the whole series. In spite of the flaws in production (which I didn't notice as a kid) they are still enjoyable. Contrary to some people, I quite liked the BBC Aslan; I remain very fond of the music.

Hear-hear! I, too, have always been quite fond of the BBC Aslan. I certainly prefer him to Neeson's Aslan, who I found to be very bleh/meh compared with the mighty Aslan of the Chronicles.

As for the music, ditto! It is so beautiful. Ahhh, when that French Horn rings out the main BBC theme, it still brings me goosebumps.
johobbit

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, kalta79! :-h

That line from Jadis in MN is a breathtaking one. Although I've seen the Walden trilogy and enjoyed the first two films, I'm not a super-fan... in my opinion, the books are on another level! So multi-layered and they just never get old. :ymdaydream:

Your cat avatar is making me giggle... maybe you should drop by the Pets Blog sometime and tell us about your cats! Aside from the previously-linked thread about writing that Jo mentioned, you might also enjoy the books thread here in the Spare Oom as well. :)
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Previous