This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey there, withyouinrockland! Welcome to NarniaWeb! :-h

Your story about how you came to learn about Narnia made me laugh. :)) Sounds like you two are pretty adventurous! And it was so nice of your friend to loan you her Narnia books!

Have fun exploring the forum and reading the rest of the Chronicles! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby withyouinrockland » Nov 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks Rose Tree Dryad! Sometimes I feel as if I should really grow up soon (get a boyfriend, get a job, look at colleges, stop running around and playing like a 10 year old) and so I do that. I dress as if I were older, and talk as if I were older and do everything as if I were older. But in reality, my mind is really immature and naïve, and I play pretend way too much. Someday I will grow up, but until then I will fake it until I can make it. :)
withyouinrockland
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 26, 2016 2:32 pm

It seems to me that you'll fit in just fine around here, withyouinrockland! (What do you think of the nickname Rocky or Roxy?) We've got a lot of young-at-heart people around here, doubtless owing to the shared love of Narnia. I know that I have no intention of "growing out" of the Chronicles. ;)) And to quote C.S. Lewis himself: "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." Staying in touch with your inner child is a wonderful and very important thing. :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby withyouinrockland » Nov 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks. By the way... can you teach me how to put a profile pic on? :-\
withyouinrockland
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Sure! :)

If you want to add an avatar (that's the little picture that appears over your username), go to User Control Panel, then click on the tab that says Profile. Then, on the menu on the left side, click on Edit Avatar. You can then upload a picture (no more than 100 x 100 pixels in size) from your computer, or copy/paste the URL of an avatar that you've found online. (We have lots of Narnian and non-Narnian avatars available here on the forum!) After you've uploaded your picture, click submit and you should be good to go.

If you're interested in adding a picture to your signature (that shows up at the bottom of each post you make), click on Edit Signature. You can then add text and an image to your signature. (The image can't exceed 100 x 300 pixels.) There are lots of Narnian signatures to choose from in this thread, as well as Narnian avatar and signature sets in this thread. To put an image in your signature, use the tags [img]*[/img] with the URL of your image in between them instead of the star.

If you're still having difficulty, this thread should be helpful for troubleshooting. (Scroll down to the part that says "How to upload images to your profile".) Let me know if you have any more questions!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Bree » Dec 04, 2016 7:22 am

Hi Guys! Long time lurker - finally joined! :D
1. Name : Bree
2. King or Queen of Narnia : Queen
3. Family (single/married/kids): Married
4. Occupation: Carer to adults with learning disabilities and Actor.
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Google, been lurking for a good six months ;)
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: I was about five or six when I had my first introduction to Narnia. The American cartoon version of Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was on telly and I remember sobbing my heart out when the Witch murdered Aslan. Not long after I started reading the books.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Lost count.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Prince Caspian or The Magicians Nephew.
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I'm from New Zealand, in fact parts Andrew Adamson's Lion, Witch and Wardrobe were filmed just outside of my hometown (Christchurch) and parts of Prince Caspian were filmed where I went to Polytech (Otago).
Bree
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Bree! :-h As a fellow former long-time lurker, I can tell you from experience that you've made a great decision to join the community! :D

Very cool that you help take care of adults with learning disabilities and are also an actor — perhaps you'll be in a Narnia film someday! I'm quite envious that you lived so nearby the areas where LWW and PC were filmed... I hope to be able to visit those places someday! Your home country is very beautiful!

If you have any questions about anything forum-related, please feel free to ask, and have a wonderful time exploring the discussions on here! :D
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Dec 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Hey All,

It's been a long time since I've been here, years, in fact, but for some reason, in the midst of finals, I felt like checking in haha.

I joined this forum in middle school. 6th? 7th grade? Now I'm a Junior in College
*Edit. It's just over 9 years ago, so 7th grade, I think

When I joined, wanted to join the military. I wanted to be a medic. Now I'm a Computer Science (Cyber Security and Infrastructure) major (and loving every moment of it, except studying), and I'd like to move to Chicago or Boston or California to work and save up money to move to Amsterdam. I currently work on campus managing a log parsing and reporting system, along with 4 servers.

When I joined, I looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/7F2NmRx.jpg?1

Now I look like this: http://i.imgur.com/hiNvOQS.jpg

I'm not really into Narnia anymore. When I was younger, I believe I was mostly into it because it was the most secular thing I was allowed to read/watch (hahaha). Now, I've grown up and become more liberal in lifestyle and views. I'm mostly agnostic, although I do have a great respect for religion.

I'm currently starting work on a start-up with Narnia_Fan12 and some of his friends, and one of my best friends is AslanistheBest, thanks to Facebook. I still have yet to meet another Narniawebber, although I drive through Bookwyrm's city a few times a year on my way to visit my parents.

I cook a lot. Like a lot a lot. I haven't hardly eaten anything I haven't cooked in about a year. I really enjoy cooking, and eating my creations. I've tallied it up and in the last year I've saved over $1000 and lost 30lbs.

I also love music of all types. My musical repertoire when I joined was pretty limited, due to the internet being pretty new, and my parents being strict on music. My favorite artist is Childish Gambino, and I've been listening to a lot of different rap artists, including ScHoolboy Q, Isaiah Rashad, Run The Jewels, and Chance the Rapper. I also greatly enjoy a lot of Alternative rock bands, especially the Arctic Monkeys, Panic! at the Disco, My Chemical Romance, and others.

Thanks for reading! I'll probably check my PMs in a couple of days if anyone wants to catch up, or find me on facebook :P
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Wow, AsJ, you've grown up a lot! Y'all need to stop doing that, it's making me feel old. :P ;))

It's good to hear that you're doing well although your life plans have shifted considerably, and even though you're not super into Narnia anymore, I'm not at all surprised to hear that you've found enduring friendships through this online community. This forum is great for that sort of thing!

Cool that you've developed a love of cooking! Now maybe you won't give me grief about my weird health food anymore, but somehow I feel that's too much to hope for. /:) ;)) Congrats on the saved money and weight loss!

Anyway, nice to see you on here again, and hope finals go well! :) Oh, and if you're interested in moving to Amsterdam someday, you should check out the Dutch course on Duolingo! For something that's completely free, it's a pretty good language learning tool.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Dec 16, 2016 11:37 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Wow, AsJ, you've grown up a lot! Y'all need to stop doing that, it's making me feel old. :P ;))

I make myself feel old. It's only fair that I pass it on to others ;)

Cool that you've developed a love of cooking! Now maybe you won't give me grief about my weird health food anymore, but somehow I feel that's too much to hope for. /:) ;)) Congrats on the saved money and weight loss!

Mushroom coffee is still weird. I only drink the real stuff, and as strong and in as much volume as I can. I do enjoy vegetables though, and can go hours without eating meat. I've devolved.

Anyway, nice to see you on here again, and hope finals go well! :) Oh, and if you're interested in moving to Amsterdam someday, you should check out the Dutch course on Duolingo! For something that's completely free, it's a pretty good language learning tool.

Honestly no idea how finals went. Pulled 2 allnighters this week, and worked in between. By the time my afternoon finals came about I'd gone past whatever help caffeine could give me. We'll see in a couple of weeks :P

I've been meaning to try Dutch, but just don't have the time right now, with 20 hours of work every week, and 15 hours of classes, plus labs and home/group work. I'm glad it's over for the next few weeks.

I missed you in the chat. AITB and I stopped by for a while to talk with Lou. We had a good time.
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 17, 2016 12:30 pm

^You might want to check out the Food for Thought thread! That's where I usually chronicle my cooking adventures. ;)) I've gotten really into making fermented foods like yogurt and sauerkraut the past year or so; that's been a lot of fun.

Hopefully coffee carried you through with finals. ;)) Sorry I missed you on chat! I'm still on there from time to time these days, though it is much quieter compared to how it was years ago. :P I'll have to try to catch up with you on there sometime!

Have a wonderful Christmas holiday! :ymhug:
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Sonny » Feb 27, 2017 10:39 pm

I thought I had done this, but I can't seem to find a post in here...

So my name is Sean, but my friends call me Seanny. I have two previous usernames on this forum (long story): AlDoug and TheLostCharn. I am dating a wonderful person who makes me very happy, and I live with a super awesome roommate.

Currently I work in a hotel, as a night auditor. My shift is normally 9:30 PM to 6:30 AM. However, I'd like to get back into software engineering, which I did for several years after college. Life has funny ways of changing one's plans, but I'm ready to get back into my original career.

I found Narniaweb via internet search back in the mid 2005 before LWW was released. It was super exciting! As a rather sheltered young person, the forum was a great way to meet people and learn different perspectives.

I didn't read The Chronicles of Narnia till I was in college, because my mother forbade anything magic, so I was about 18. I remember starting LWW when I was quite young, but I don't remember if I finished it. I suppose I've read the series at least twice and some of the books three times. I don't think I can pick a favorite, but LWW is such a classic, and TLB had a profound impact on me.

I am an actor and director for stage. It was a dream of mine for many years, and when I was 28 I decided to make a go of it. It's now a regular part of my life! When I'm not in a show I itch to get back on stage! In the last 2 1/2 years I've been a part of 8 productions and was just cast in my 9th. In fact, I met my partner in theater! I also occasionally write music and stories.

It's been a long while since I was a regular on NWeb, but I hope to be back often. I dearly miss the Ditto Story, to which I used to contribute. And the Cup and Platter... Back in 2006 I was the "Cup and Platter Bagel Boy." Wow, that was ages ago!
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Hey Sonny, it's nice to see you back on NarniaWeb! :-h I'm glad to hear that you've got good people in your life and that you're enjoying acting and directing. Best of luck with your next show and with returning to the field of software engineering! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Fireberry » Apr 29, 2017 4:34 pm

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Fireberry
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King
3. Family (single/married/kids): Single, no kids.
4. Occupation: Writer
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: I love all things Narnia/Lewis, explored online & found my way here. (Great podcasts, btw!)
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Very early memory of Magician's Nephew being read to me by my Dad, age 4. Read TMN, LWW, VDT, TSC myself all by age 7. Read the complete saga at last (in Harper Collins order) at age 12. And many times since ...
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: MANY MANY MANY MANY!
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: 1) Nephew. 2) Treader. 3) Chair ... BUT very recently, rising up my list: 2a) Horse!
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I live in a city in Canada and am a busy creative writer myself with a fulfilling career. Narnia remains a presence in my working life. Also a huge Charles Dickens / Shakespeare / and Beatles fan! (favorite album Sgt Pepper!: can't wait to hear that 50th anniversary release!) / ... Narnia movies? Loved Lion/Witch, disliked Caspian & Treader. Other Movies? I admired "Pan's Labrynth" a lot, I know Del Toro is a Narnia fan and I could see it. Anyway, I look forward to following & chatting with you all! Here's to a new wave of Narnia action!
Fireberry
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Fireberry! :-h I like your username! I'm a big fan of the podcasts, too. They do a great job on those.

It's good to hear that we have a new member with good taste in music! ;) ;)) And cool that you're a writer! We've got quite a few of those around here; you might want to check out Writer's World here in the Spare Oom. And if you want to shoot the breeze with other NarniaWebbers, the Town Square over in Ditto Town is the hub for chatting.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask! Have fun exploring the forum! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Fireberry » Apr 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Thank you so much, Rose-Tree Dryad! There's so much to discover here! It's like a whole other world! :)
Fireberry
NarniaWeb Newbie

PreviousNext