This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Doctor Who SF Reboot! - Series 7 part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Doctor Who SF Reboot! - Series 7 part 2

Postby coracle » Jan 30, 2015 2:43 pm

I've quite enjoyed Series 8. It had a mixture of events, places, scary aliens, Companion Alone, Companion and Boyfriend, and interesting/likeable one-off characters.
I liked the gradual development and introduction of the Doctor, as the episodes progressed. This was a real contrast to the Matt Smith first episode where by the time he had eaten a suitable first food he was competent to operate the Tardis and come back and start saving the world. The Twelfth Doctor was not well, he had to spend a lot of time learning his way around, and I think his lack of knowledge of social cues was a good source of comedy to lighten things.
I'm enjoying his blunt comments, my favourite of which is "Shut up, shut up, Shuttity Up Up Up!"
And he has now emerged as a Doctor with a sense of humour, who does know what is going on in the universe, but whose reactions can't be predicted. That's fine for me!
As for age, well it's nice to have a Doctor in my age group.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby parableproductions » Aug 07, 2015 6:27 pm

My weekend is planned - NuWho series 8 will be on Netflix starting tomorrow (8/8)!

I'm looking forward to finally be able to see all of the episodes. I've caught on here and there - and I like Capaldi.
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby King_Erlian » Aug 14, 2015 3:02 am

Peter Capaldi has done the unthinkable: he's actually supplanted Jon Pertwee as my favourite Doctor. (Jon Pertwee was the first Doctor I remember watching regularly - I was too young to watch it when William Hartnell was the Doctor and I was still too young to really follow the stories when Patrick Troughton was the Doctor.)

I found the first two episodes and the final episode of Series 8 disappointing, but the rest of the series I thought was good. I liked the Christmas special too - it wasn't too silly in its use of Santa Claus but it didn't spoil the belief of children still young enough to believe in him.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Oct 19, 2015 12:12 pm

My cable provider has finally put the first 5 episodes of this series on demand, and I've watched them all over the past few days. I found them pretty enjoyable. There seems to be a trend to 2-part episodes which allows them to include more detail in the stories.

I also don't mind a Doctor closer to my age, coracle.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Previous