The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 10, 2017 9:05 am

I haven't been here in a while but here is some hand embroidery i did over my summer. This is the most updated picture i have at the moment

edit: it should work now.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 12, 2017 6:35 am

Oh sorry the url must have been wrong. Here is a close up of one of the leaves. I think it is called fishbone stitch.

IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Congrats on finishing your shawl, wrose! :D That's too bad about only having acrylic yarn, though. :(

Hi, IlF! :D Your embroidery is gorgeous! The fox is cute, and the detail of the leaf you've shown is impressive.

I finished the cowl, though it's still just sitting around; I need to hand it off to someone, I suppose. ;))

Avy by ForeverFan
Sig by Alyosha
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 14, 2017 4:25 am

Thanks Val!. It is finished now but i need to put it in a frame so it looks proper since it is fitted to a square shape rather than the traditional embroidery circle. I have also done a raccoon but the background detail wont be complete on that for a while.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady Arwen » Mar 18, 2017 9:33 pm

The hand embroidery is gorgeous, ILF. I've never had the patience for hand work. Either I abandon it entirely, or I cut corners and it looks sloppy. But I do love the look (which is why I dream of getting one of the machines where you can build the pattern online :P ). Props to you for having the patience to turn out such nice work!

I've begun teaching sewing, and it's quite interesting so far. I've had people ask me about it before, but it has never been convenient. Recently, however, I got a second sewing machine (quite old, all metal parts, but perfect for some of my uses), so I've relented and started a friend off on quilting, since basic quilts are all straight lines. So far, she's fallen in love with fabric, and she's not half bad at running it through the machine, either. She's still working on getting her lines straight, but it is very nice to have a sewing partner, as I end up doing a good measure of sewing too while she's sewing her strips. She eventually wants to start making clothing, but until she masters straight lines, I think we'll stick with quilts. ;))
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby johobbit » Mar 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Popping on to say that that is beautiful, fine work, IlF! :ymapplause: And it would be lovely to see your raccoon project when it's complete. :)

Kudos to all you talented people!!
johobbit

Postby ValiantArcher » Mar 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Cool about the raccoon piece, IlF! :D Could you please share a picture when you're done with all the background detail? ;;)

Ooh, brave, Wren! I hope teaching sewing continues to go well. :) And hurrah for getting some of your own sewing done at the same time! :D

Now that she's seen the LotR films, Summer has asked again about sewing cloaks so it sounds like I shall have to get out my sewing machine and see if I can figure it out (it can't be that hard, can it? :P). Though I've got material for a baby blanket, so I should probably start with that since it's been ages since I've sewn (not that I got very far even then). My machine always seems to have tension problems when I take it back out... :P Also, I need to find a place to set it up...

I just picked up one of my knitting projects again; my goal is to finish this in the next few weeks, and then get to the point where I can start turning my socks (I think I'm almost there). We'll see how it goes. :P

Avy by ForeverFan
Sig by Alyosha
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

Thanks all. with my honours project on the horizon it could be some time before they are finish. knowing me about a year.

Val I don't have much luck with sewing patterns. I tend to do hand crafts for quilts etc and only sew that. Over new years i sewed a costume but yeah it didn't go to plan. I should stop free-styling and actually follow templates. Good luck with the cloaks.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady Arwen » Mar 23, 2017 8:29 pm

One thing I've found with patterns is they rarely fit properly, and it take a lot of study to learn how to properly adjust the patterns themselves, but once you actually do, it works quite well. It just...takes a lot of preparation and study ;)) I kind of wish I could just 3D scan myself, sketch onto the scan, and have the finished pattern print out ready for use.

So far, so good for sewing. The quilts are coming along!
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Previous