This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

Postby johobbit » Apr 11, 2018 7:48 am

I am awfully eager for this too, Varna, and thanks for posting. :D Sorry to say that I am not a huge Beren/Lúthien fan :ymblushing: so have not yet bought that book (maybe someday), but I really love the fascinating and captivating tale of Gondolin, that great Hidden City. Definitely purchasing this when it releases!
johobbit

Postby Varnafinde » Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Although I bought the Beren/Luthien book as soon as it arrived in Norwegian bookshops (in English, I don't think they will translate it), I have only started reading it and read perhaps a fifth of it (or less). I will finish it some time - but now it's possible that I read The Fall of Gondolin first ...

In my fanfiction universe, Varnafindë's father was a little boy who lost his parents when Gondolin fell. Friends of the family took him on and made sure that he escaped from the burning city with the group of people led by the Elvenking's daughter (and her human husband), who had dug a secret tunnel in case it might needed for just such a disaster.

So Gondolin is "my" city more than the other ancient Elven cities ... :)
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 09, 2018 5:56 pm

How do people feel about the new Middle Earth TV series that has been proposed by Amazon? I'm both excited and worried, because I'm unsure exactly what source they are drawing on. :-s
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Varnafinde » May 10, 2018 6:28 pm

For my own part I feel confused, because just like you I'm unsure what source they could be drawing on.

It's very much a question of rights to use sources - is this something going under the same set of rights that Tolkien sold in his lifetime and which eventually allowed Peter Jackson's movies, or has there been some newer sale of rights? Nobody has mentioned such a sale, so I guess we're still talking about the old rights, which means that only what's in LotR (including the Appendices) and the Hobbit can be used, and anything from Silmarillion will be off limit.

So I wonder what they can do.
Varnafinde

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 11, 2018 11:32 am

Varnafinde wrote:For my own part I feel confused, because just like you I'm unsure what source they could be drawing on.

It's very much a question of rights to use sources - is this something going under the same set of rights that Tolkien sold in his lifetime and which eventually allowed Peter Jackson's movies, or has there been some newer sale of rights? Nobody has mentioned such a sale, so I guess we're still talking about the old rights, which means that only what's in LotR (including the Appendices) and the Hobbit can be used, and anything from Silmarillion will be off limit.

So I wonder what they can do.

Yes, it just seems like they will expand on the appendices. But that makes me nervous. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope it turns out well!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Jun 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Varna wrote:So Gondolin is "my" city more than the other ancient Elven cities ... :)

That is very cool!

I had a fun, unexpected Tolkien moment today as I was walking out of the grocery store. Near the entrance, they always have a nice display of cloth bags with various seasonal designs, which are quite lovely. This morning, one especially caught my eye ... it is a mountain scene with a beautiful moose in the foreground, but the caption was "Not all those who wander are lost". Not usually being impulsive in buying, I immediately purchased it ($3).
;))

:D
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jun 29, 2018 10:15 pm

That's great, Jo. :)

(I first read 'moose' as 'moon' and thought that would be neat as well, though the moon in the foreground would be unusual).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Books About Tolkien and Various Apects of Lord of the Rings

Postby Tolkien » Jan 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Some great books on christian aspects and themes in Middle earth

Finding God in The Lord of the Rings
https://www.christianbook.com/finding-g ... vent=ESRCG

The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-earth
https://www.christianbook.com/gospel-ac ... vent=ESRCG

The Christian World of The Hobbit
https://www.christianbook.com/the-chris ... vent=ESRCG

Walking with Frodo
https://www.christianbook.com/walking-w ... vent=ESRCG

A Hobbit Devotional: Bilbo Baggins and the Bible, Imitation Leather
https://www.christianbook.com/hobbit-de ... vent=ESRCG

Books About Tolkien

J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography
https://www.christianbook.com/j-r-tolki ... vent=ESRCG

The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien
https://www.christianbook.com/the-lette ... vent=ESRCG

His Political Views

Hobbit Party: The Vision of Freedom That Tolkien Got, and the West Forgot
https://www.christianbook.com/hobbit-pa ... vent=ESRCG
“I am a Christian, that fact can be deduced from my stories.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Tolkien
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby johobbit » Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am

;)) 'gazer, that would indeed have been beautiful (albeit quite unusual), as well.

I have read many of those books, thanks, Tolkien. :) There certainly is some great writing out there in regards to his life and works. Yet I have found a select few that are not so good :P ... not necessarily from that list, though, although I must admit, I did not care for Ralph Wood's The Gospel According to Tolkien, which seems lacking hope. We then heard Wood give a lecture years ago (in Toronto), and this confirmed to us his negative outlook. :( Pity.

An author who can be more academic, but has some excellent reads on JRRT is Tom Shippey: J.R.R. Tolkien: the Author of the Century and The Road to Middle-earth. These were both written in the early 2000s. Shippey is a Tolkien scholar, author and university professor (although being 75 yrs of age, he may be retired now), overlapping chronologically at Oxford with JRRT, and then holding the Chair of English Language and Medieval Literature at Leeds University, which Tolkien, himself, had held early in his career!

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is a strong favourite of mine. My old copy is all marked up, and literally falling apart from much use. I now have a newer copy, as well, but will always treasure my well-worn one.

So, the first trailer for Tolkien is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Girzu81oS8Q. This film focuses on JRRT's younger years—some of the relationships and situations that have influenced him (and his writings??). As someone on The Tolkien Society FB page wrote,
" I'm not sure what I feel about this. I'm afraid it's romanticized and focused on "facts" Tolkien himself denied, as the influence and/or inspiration on the great wars in his writings."
Yeah, feeling kind of that way, myself.
Thoughts?
johobbit

Postby daughter of the King » Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm

I must admit, even though I'm not a big fan of romances I was hoping for the biopic to be more focused on Tolkien's relationship with his wife. The parallels between their story and his various versions of Beren and Luthien's story have always struck a chord with me. But . . . the war does seem to be more of a focus. Not sure how I feel about it. Might be a good movie but not a good biography.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Varnafinde » Feb 12, 2019 8:47 pm

I liked seeing his wife dancing for him in the woods, and I liked seeing the four young men who influenced each other - more of them might have become important writers as well, had they survived the war (at least 2 of the 4 didn't). I forget their names, but they certainly influenced and inspired him.

I hope they can focus on these relationships. The dramatic events of the battles are less important.
Varnafinde

Postby coracle » Feb 17, 2019 10:42 am

There has been an article published in a Scottish newspaper suggesting that location scouts have been looking in parts of Scotland for filming locations for the Middle Earth Amazon series.
Not sure why they would go there in the middle of winter, but here is the link anyway. Don't hold your breath. :) But if this is happening, I want to get work on it.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17424062.lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-to-be-filmed-in-scotland/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR19g1gobO1hyMsQ8SUZcH-5lbjGms0xlEFY9feEi1I1uYmrtoj4wcB5ENQ
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 17, 2019 2:01 pm

What do you think of the tease artwork of a Middle Earth map (no Beleriand) with no names of places just "Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky?"

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/ ... 5905117185
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Feb 17, 2019 4:07 pm

OK. I haven't even read Tolkien's books, but I found these guys and I think they're awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY0lLcz3Qis. They basically take poetry from the books and convert them to song. Anyone else here familiar with Clamavis De Profundis?
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Feb 17, 2019 4:25 pm

@Anfinwen, I guess I don't have much to say about it as there's... not much to see. ;)) I did note that other people who are much better versed in LotR and Sil are able to glean some hints from the map as to when the series will take place.

@Cleander, curious, any reason why you haven't read LotR? :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby daughter of the King » Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Anfinwen wrote:What do you think of the tease artwork of a Middle Earth map (no Beleriand) with no names of places just "Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky?"

My first thought was basically "well . . . yep, that's Middle Earth". ;)) That mountain range on the east side is not on Second/Third Age maps. I did however find it on a First Age map. Interesting. The bit about the three rings suggests to me either Second Age when the rings were forged or Third Age while the one ring was lost. Aragorn did travel a lot in the south and east, so maybe that's why the map extends farther in those directions? I've seen some comments about the runes on the compass rose appearing more Dwarvish than expected, but according to my Middle-Earth atlas those are the runes used regardless of language. Although it looks like they have the rune for east pointing north. /:)

Cleander wrote:Anyone else here familiar with Clamavis De Profundis?

Oh yes. They're one of my favorites.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext