This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

Postby narnian1 » Sep 02, 2012 12:44 pm

johobbit wrote:
I do wish the publisher had called the third volume The War of the Ring, as Tolkien preferred, rather thanThe Return of the King, which gives too much away. :P
\:D/

Oh I never knew that of the third book. I'm with you. I love that title better,
for the very reason that the current title does give to much away. :)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 02, 2012 12:52 pm

johobbit wrote:And Doug Adams, Shore's 'shadow', and author of the thoroughly fantastic The Music of the Lord of the Rings, has been contracted to write The Music of The Hobbit films! <- link \:D/

I think I've missed out on that book!
I followed your link and read his blog now, and I really should look out for the new one when it comes (and perhaps even look for the first one).

Perhaps they didn't get to the Norwegian bookshops, and that's why I never noticed. Amazon might be the way to go ...

I heard Shore's LotR symphony at an open-air concert in a park in Oslo a few years back (with Norwegian Sissel singing). There must have been a few thousand people present, and there were large screens to show us what was happening on stage. It was a lovely, sunny day in August - until the last ten minutes, when it started to rain. Good thing it didn't start earlier!
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 08, 2012 11:18 am

New images! http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/08/61652-sixteeen-all-new-hobbit-stills/ Most of these look like stills taken while filming, while the second gallery looks like studio shots: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/08/61675-thirteen-new-portrait-photos-from-the-hobbit/

And it looks like where the first movie ends has been revealed: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/08/61654-ending-of-first-hobbit-film-revealed-spoilers-after-the-break/#more-61654

That could work, although the break point seems a bit early. What is being added to make it necessary to stretch the plot material over the first film this much? Extra character interaction during the early part of the quest with the half-way point of the film being in Rivendell to echo FotR?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby fantasia » Sep 10, 2012 9:20 am

I can't believe I may have actually guessed correctly on where the the first movie is going to end with out of the frying pan and into the fire. :-o I thought for sure I was wrong after the title of the second movie came out.
That second movie is gonna be packed, but I'm wondering if they'll cut a lot of the parts where they have to figure out how to get into the Lonely Mountain to make room.
I'm especially curious if Varna is right with moving most of Gandalf's plot to the third movie. I figured it'd be in the second movie since Gandalf turns up shortly after Smaug's death, but maybe they'll do it as a flashback or something.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 10, 2012 10:48 am

It does say on the last page of that chapter: "So ended the adventures of the Misty Mountains". :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Lady Haleth » Sep 11, 2012 9:17 am

My college is doing a 'Hobbit Day' next week. :)
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Sep 12, 2012 6:55 am

I forgot to comment on those character pictures that Dot linked. ;)) I love them. :D I love that they're not terribly spoilerish and the one of Bilbo looking rather startled is perfect. ;))

@Glimmie, good point. :D

@Lady Haleth, what's Hobbit Day?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Sep 14, 2012 10:12 am

Yes, do try and get a copy of Adams' book, Varna! It is excellent in every way. Of course, this has nothing to do with me being a fanatic for analyzing music. ;)) But seriously, it's very accessible.

Varna wrote:I heard Shore's LotR symphony at an open-air concert in a park

Was that the symphony for all three films, or the symphony for one of the three? I presume the former, from what you said. Isn't it fantastic? And to hear it outdoors would enhance that very pleasurable experience all the more. :D

Dot, thanks for those links! I especially like the 'flummoxed' one of Bilbo in the hallway. ;)) Perfect expression! And Bombur always cracks me up! The runes tattoed on Dwalin's head are very cool, indeed! Thorin still looks too handsome for me. He should be rougher and grittier, methinks. Really like Oin and Gloin. Not fond of Fili and Kili, who seem far too Elvish. :P Ori is way too adorable, lol. Balin comes across as a venerable old dwarf. It always makes me sad thinking of his fate, especially remembering Balin's kindness to Bilbo as The Hobbit story progressed.

As for the ending of the first film, it does seem early, but with all they're adding, who knows what they have up their sleeves. /:) Careful, PJ, careful! :P

*nods also at Glim's point*

I'm thinking Hobbit Day is typically a celebration of Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday (which is officially on September 22nd). Or is it something different, Lady Haleth?
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am

So Peter Jackson uploaded a Character Gallery today. If you're on FB it's here....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 557&type=1
If you're not on FB, hopefully TORn or some other website will get it uploaded soon.

In regards to the pictures themselves....I love them all except I HATE the axehead coming out of Bifur's head. That is so ridiculously stupid.... I had not noticed it before now, but looking through other pictures, it's in all of them. 8-|
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Sep 14, 2012 11:35 am

Good grief, that is ridiculous! /:) Oin and Gloin, Dwalin and Balin, Bombur, and of course Bilbo, are my tops! But wait, are those not the same photos that Dot linked to (her 2nd link ^)? In any case, it's good to see them again. :D
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am

Oh wait! So they are. Somehow I missed those. ;)) I saw all of the others in her post, must have accidentally clicked the same link twice.

Ah well, they're cool and worth linking a second time. :P ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 14, 2012 12:08 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Oh wait! So they are. Somehow I missed those. ;)) I saw all of the others in her post, must have accidentally clicked the same link twice.

Almost the same, Bilbo and Thorin weren't in the gallery Dot linked to but the were in the one FK linked too.

I agree that The axehead coming out of Bifur's head is ridiculous / stupid, etc..

I'm betting they do a bit of back story in the first film. Didn't we have rumors of Gandalf in a cave or something and nine empty tombs? They will probably show Gandalf's adventure when he gets the map and the key. I'm also guessing the add a bit to the Rivendell too, since we've seen Galadriel there.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 14, 2012 12:24 pm

I am obviously really excited for the Hobbit trilogy, but I was wondering if anyone was going to celebrate Hobbit's Day and if so, what they are going to do.

The other day I was in my college's library and I found a first edition copy of Silmarillion! :-o I was so excited! I found a couple other first edition C.S. Lewis books too and I started hyperventilating. :D
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 14, 2012 8:37 pm

johobbit wrote:
Varna wrote:I heard Shore's LotR symphony at an open-air concert in a park

Was that the symphony for all three films, or the symphony for one of the three? I presume the former, from what you said. Isn't it fantastic? And to hear it outdoors would enhance that very pleasurable experience all the more. :D

It was the full symphony for all three films. I'm sure it lasted more than two hours ...

Yes, hearing it outdoors was even better. And I was with a friend who loves Tolkien, too. And we saw several people wearing costumes and having added points to their ears :D

A first edition?
Yes, looking back on it now, of course it's sad that I didn't buy one on that day.
But on the other hand I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it back then.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby narnialuver » Sep 15, 2012 8:31 am

that axehead coming out of Bifur's head. I have never noticed that before. I think it is a bit unrealistic :-\

Anyway the real reason I posted Is to show you Hobbit Action Figures!!
There are Four of them: Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, and, limited transparent Bilbo figure

Here's more info:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LucasMend/news/?a=63420

They are on ebay for sale too.

Edit: Here is a much more detailed list:
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=317&itemid=18907

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Here's some news about a new Hobbit trailer coming soon, and the music that will be in it: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09 ... m-quantum/

Why do I get the suspicion the trailer will be released on September 22nd? :-? ;))

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

PreviousNext