This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: The Legend of Korra

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: The Legend of Korra

Postby stargazer » May 17, 2012 9:56 am

The latest episode, 1.06, "And the Winner Is...", revealed more background on Lin's resentment: apparently she was interested in Tenzin and lost him to his current wife. I wonder if there is more to it than that, however.

I also have a theory as to who Amon is: Council member Tarlokk manipulated Korra into joining his task force, and last week he pretty much played the entire council regarding the pro bending tournament. He may not be Amon (who claims he lost his face to firebenders, while Tarlokk has not) but he's certainly up to some kind of power play if nothing else.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Fire Fairy » May 22, 2012 12:02 pm

I was literally biting my knuckles during "And the Winner Is...". :-ss That episode was intense.

SHOW SPOILER "Episode 7: The Aftermath"
This episode wasn't nearly as intense as the last one, but it was still pretty good. I wasn't too surprised that Hiroshi Sato was supplying the Equalists, considering I suspected that he was up to no good when he was introduced in "The Voice in the Night," but I was a bit surprised that Asami didn't know a thing about it. I got way excited about the Cabbage Merchant cameo! He has a statue AND a descendant! "My Cabbage Corp!" :p Gotta love it. It's interesting that Asami knows self-defense, especially considering her comment to Mako that he makes her feel safe. I was thinking that would foreshadow him having to protect her in some way. I'm wondering if Asami is going to end up being a member of team Avatar, a non-bender like Sokka and Suki were ("Fan and Sword!"). It makes sense to have a non-bender on the Team, in the same way the original Team Avatar eventually had a Firebender. It'll probably have to do with the whole balance thing. (%) Which makes me wonder when LoK is going to address Korra's lack of spirituality. I'm betting that won't be addressed until Season 2. It's Korra's major weakness, and she won't be able to combat Amon properly until she has the spirits on her side. Anyway, back to the current episode. I have to say that even though I suspected that Asami wouldn't join her father, the pacing and cinematography was done well, in such a way that even I doubted for a split second. Oh, and I have to say, it was cool seeing Lin Bei Fong using her mother's technique to listen to vibrations in the earth to see underground. The metal boot sliding aside so she could use her bare foot was an unexpected delight.

SHOW SPOILER Explore Republic City game (on nick.com)
Most of the stuff on this game are things you already know from the series, but there are a few gems here and there. One such mentions Fire Lord Zuko, revealing that he's still alive! It says he's 87 years old, that he's retired from being Fire Lord and turned that over to his daughter, and that he's roaming around traveling! Guess that makes sense, given that Dante Basco (voice of Zuko) has revealed that he voice-acted for one episode, "Skeletons in the Closet." I'm guessing that Korra will meet Zuko in this episode, and it will use flashbacks to reveal at least what happened to Zuko's mother (since that was hinted at in "Welcome to Republic City"), if not more. Anyways, I can't wait to see how this develops!

SHOW SPOILER stargazer:
I'm not sure I agree with Tarlokk really being Amon, but I do think Tarlokk is up to something. I highly doubt that he's an Equalist, since he is a bender, but he certainly is crafty and manipulative. I can't help wondering if he has his own agenda. As for Amon, I've noticed he has something in common with Hiroshi. Both of them have had loved ones killed by firebenders. Makes you wonder if there's still a bit of resentment toward firebenders that has translated into an animosity towards all firebenders. I can't remember if Mako and Bolin lost their parents to a firebender or not. But there seems to be a pattern here.

You know you're an Avatar fan when you order your new retainer blue with a water tribe symbol on it... :p :ymblushing:
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

You're right, Fire Fairy: I was reconsidering my idea on who Amon might be after watching a couple older episodes the other night. I don't think Tarlokk is Amon but I think they're working together. Perhaps Tarlokk has been promised rule over Republic City once Amon gets the world, or something like that.

We also commented on all the people who have lost loved ones to firebenders. And Bolin and Mako are among those, as I recall.

Episode 1.07, "The Aftermath" - We also chuckled at the statue of the cabbage merchant and "my Cabbage Corp." And seeing Lin use her mother's "TophVision (TM)" was pretty cool.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Fire Fairy » May 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Haha, stargazer. TophVision. I like that. :p

SHOW SPOILER Amon and Tarlokk
Hmm, I still don't know about Tarlokk being on Amon's side. I can't see Amon letting a bender be on his side while still keeping his abilities. Now, if Amon was using Tarlokk to have a voice on the council, maybe promising him power and letting him keep his abilities, while planning on disposing of him later, I could see that.

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 22, 2012 12:24 pm

You're right, Fire Fairy. Sorry I was unclear: While Tarlokk may have been promised something - a seat on the council, rule of Republic City, or whatever - I have no doubt Amon would double cross him once the benders are taken care of.

Still, I'd hope Tarlokk is smart enough to figure this out before it's too late.
stargazer

Postby Fire Fairy » May 22, 2012 12:33 pm

SHOW SPOILER Amon and Tarlokk
I hope so too. He may be a manipulative little weasel, but he's still a council member, and the representative of the Southern Water Tribe (I think). So, for Korra's sake, if he's up to no good with the Equalists, I hope he figures things out before it's too late.

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby shastastwin » May 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I finally got to catch up on all of the episodes that have been released, and also on this thread. :D

Regarding Amon and Tarrlok:I think that they are at least complicit with each other. Part of me wonders if they aren't the same person, but it would make the series more complex if Tarrlok were only another of Amon's pawns. I think Tarrlok almost has to be involved with the Equalists on some level because of his manipulation of Lin during the Pro-Bending Championship.

Regarding the trend of lost loved ones: It would not surprise me at all to find out that Amon is a former firebender and his whole backstory is a fabrication. That actually gives me a strange thought: is it possible that Amon is really former Fire Lord Ozai seeking revenge? That's a stretch and would be pretty bizarre but it is a thought. Either way, I'm fairly certain that the string of firebender-killed loved ones is not a coincidence and that it will become a major plot point.

Regarding Korra's lack of spiritual interest/strength: I think that the brief flashes of adult Aang, Toph and Sokka that we have seen are actually the beginnings of Korra's access to the Spirit World, Aang's mentorship and the Avatar State. I expect that in the next few episodes we will see a significant focus on these flashes and their source/purpose. I suspect they will also have something to do with the string of firebender-related deaths and Amon's anti-bender sentiments. Perhaps even Toph's potential death scene that everyone was speculating about.

I have to say that I have really enjoyed all of these episodes. I think the series as a whole is just as well-crafted as the original, if not better. I'm looking forward to the rest of this season (though I'm not sure how they will make a second season with this storyline).

ETA: This is an interesting background story on the inspiration for Meelo.

ETA2: Also, regarding Amon's power: It is obviously a form of energy bending, which predates the Avatar and bending the elements. It is possible Amon learned this from the spirits as Aang did, but I get the feeling he will be a bit like Zhao or Ozai and twist the knowledge of the spirits. This will likely become one of Korra's major condemnations of Amon, once she enters the spirit world and finds this out. Unlike Aang's use of the bending-removal, this seems to be a simple matter of forcing the victim's bending out rather than the struggle it was for Aang (but that may have been because he was new to the technique). This plotline also has the potential for the idea that was floating around after the first series: that energy bending could GIVE someone bending ability. Could Korra possibly learn to energy bend and restore those who've lost their bending? (At least those who deserve it. ;)) )

Btw, anyone expecting a surprise appearance from Koh or the other spirits we've seen before?
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby stargazer » May 30, 2012 9:57 am

Some great comments, shastastwin!

Regarding Korra's lack of spiritual interest/strength: Definitely agreed that this is a strong prospect. I wonder if this season may end with some kind of cliffhanger tying these flashbacks to the spirit world and the Avatar State (or Korra's lack thereof). No one has mentioned the Avatar State yet, but even if Korra doesn't know about it (which I doubt) surely Tenzin and some of the other adults in her life do.

If Amon really is Ozai, he'd have to be rather old. Not that this rules out the idea, but all of the original gang (except Katara) have passed, and Ozai was significantly older than them at the time of the first series. Still, an interesting idea. Maybe he's an unknown son or some other obscure relative seeking revenge?

The idea of returning lost bending sounds interesting. Other tidbits it'd be fun to hear more about include Toph's death and what happened to Zuko's mother. They even teased us about that in the series opener.
stargazer

Postby shastastwin » May 30, 2012 11:02 am

The ninth episode is titled Out of the Past so I'm betting we'll get at least a little explanation of some of the plot threads we've been wondering about, particularly the flashbacks and possibly Zuko's mom (which we MUST know about soon) -- although the ZM plot may be saved for the episode "Skeletons in the Closet" since Dante Basco has recorded lines for that episode. ;)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby ValiantArcher » May 30, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm finally caught up on Korra, too! :D

Re: Lin's resentment.
I think between Korra wreaking havoc and her history with Tenzin, that probably covers her mostly. ;)) I was pleasantly surprised to hear that she and Aang had got along splendidly, though, I guess it shouldn't---she is a lot like her mother, and Toph and Aang got along great once they got past the elemental differences. ;))

Fire Fairy wrote:You know you're an Avatar fan when you order your new retainer blue with a water tribe symbol on it... :p :ymblushing:
Haha, that's great! I didn't even know you could specialize retainers like that. ;))
SHOW SPOILER Firebenders
Mmhmm, I noticed that the villainous benders are mainly still firebenders. On one hand, that's not surprising considering that fire tends to be the most destructive power and of itself and the firebenders were fueling their fire all wrong for years, but still! It sounds like a conspiracy. ;))

SHOW SPOILER Episode 7
I actually hadn't really been expecting Hiroshi Sato to be in league with the Equalists, though I should've. ;)) So far, though, Asami has been completely in the clear, which did surprise me. I do like her being on the good side, so hopefully she doesn't turn evil. Unless she's planning on pulling a really tough double-cross subterfuge, I think Asami will have a hard time going over to the dark side at this point. :)
I did find it funny that Korra thought she and Asami were going to spend the day having makeovers considering that Toph and Katara did just that in Ba Sing Se. ;))
Yay for TophVision! :D And, though I'm sad to see her forced to retire, cheers for Lin deciding that she had to do things her way, "outside the law"---sounds just like Toph! ;))
I loved seeing the Cabbage Merchant statue and references! :D
Edit: Also, it's going to be quite crazy on Air Temple Island with three new people there! The kids are going to love it. ;)) I hope they all pitch in and help Pema, because she's going to need it! If she and Asami get along okay, though, she'll love having another non-bender around. ;))

SHOW SPOILER Tarlokk
I'm not sure whether he's just a really greedy, crafty opportunist or if he's involved with the Equalists. ;)) I'm guessing he is involved with the Equalists, or at least Amon, to a certain extent. I don't think he can be all that heavily involved in the actual society unless he's in cahoots almost solely with Amon, as you all were speculating, because while I can see him working out a deal with the leader, I don't see the majority of the Equalists agreeing to work with such a prominent Water Bender.

stwin, I don't know if I'm exactly expecting to see any of the spirits we've seen previously, but that would be neat! :) I think it'll really depend on
how much, if any, of the spirit world we see. If you're right about the flashbacks being Korra's connection to the spirit world (which does sound about right), then we may just see those and not so much of the spirit world. Hopefully, though, we'll at least get to see Aang being Korra's spirit guide!

SHOW SPOILER Theories
Huh! I hadn't really thought about energy bending being used to give someone bending powers. I wonder if that will happen, and if they can restore bending abilities to Tahno et co, and all Lin's men.
Also, Amon actually being Ozai would be quite interesting, though pretty near impossible, I think. ;)) I've actually been wondering if he's the same guy the Gaang fought against in the flashbacks Korra has been having, or perhaps that guy's son or something. I mean, Korra is getting glimpses for a reason and I think it either has to be because the strategy used there will help her or knowledge of the people will.
Do you all think that taking down Amon will actually fix everything? It'll certainly slow down, if not stop, the Equalists, but there's still the huge anti-bending sentiment. Plus, there's all those electrical weapons and the chi-blockers---they can't just get rid of those advancements and knowledge. I have a feeling they're going to need to also do some reworking of the structure of Republic City---maybe they can kick Tarlokk off the council and put a non-bender on? :P ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby shastastwin » May 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Regarding some of your theories, VA:
No, taking down Amon won't stop the Anti-bender sentiment, but maybe it can lead to some peaceful sentiments among the people. Also, I've been wondering why they haven't been teaching benders chi blocking skills because that seems like a less violent way to stop a rogue bender (as I'm sure happens for the Avatar and the police force).

And why isn't there a non-bender on the Council ALREADY? Just curious. ;))
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby ValiantArcher » May 30, 2012 1:02 pm

stwin,
Very true. I know it'll help tons, though, but I am very curious to see them kind of deal with what else needs to be done. ;)) As for chi-blocking skills, you're wondering why benders don't know how to take eachother down by blocking chi? Maybe most benders think their abilities are cooler than chi blocking? ;)) It definitely would be a less violent way, but also a less impressive one. ;) Really, I'm guessing that it hasn't really been spread about that much and maybe benders just haven't been that interested in learning it.
That said...are the Equalists descended from the Kyoshi Warriors? :-o Because Ty Lee was the only one who knew how to block chi and she was going to teach them... /:) ;))

Good question! :P I'm guessing that when the Council started, they were just concerned about keeping balance amongst the four nations and all the powerful people were benders; back then, it wasn't really a big deal to be a non-bender. Maybe? ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby stargazer » Jun 02, 2012 10:13 am

Episode 1.08, "When Extremes Meet" -

I had mixed feelings about this episode. The first half, with Tarlokk's rules and incarcaration of non-benders seemed kind of cliched, though consistent with what's happened before. But the second half picked up. Korra is reminded that "You're our Avatar too," and she tries to do the right thing. And we get to see some cooling bending dueling between Tarlokk and Korra ("not a half-baked Avatar..." ;)) ). And he can bloodbend when the moon's not full? Cool...but creepy too. He tells Korra there's a lot she (and the audience!) doesn't know.

His behavior in this episode makes me doubt that he's in Amon's pocket after all - rather he's using the opportunity to seize power any way he can. I suspect Tarlokk may actually turn out to be the big villain of the show.

Good point, shastastwin - there really should be non-bender representation on the council if the city really is the dream Aang and the others sought. I bet there will be non-benders on it at series' end - if that council survives at all in its current form.
stargazer

Postby Reepi » Jun 03, 2012 12:22 am

Am I the only one who thinks the latest episode proves just how much animation has improved over TLA? I'm not too fond of the 3D stuff though...
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 03, 2012 3:16 pm

I missed the last episode. Most likely catch it when it comes up on facebook in a couple days.
I have been wondering about a few things that have happened in the series so far.
I hope I don't break any of the rules about spoilers, but I just have not figured out how to cover them yet. Guess I'm just not savvy enough, or just lazy right now.
Anyway. I sort of struck me no one ever thought of what Tarlokk, Amon, and the equalist street barker were doing is a kind of bending. Word Bending. The street barker was able to manipulate Korra into saying just what he wanted her to. " I bet you would like to knock me right off...." And she fell for it. Just as Tarlokk was able to set her up with the reporters so she eventually joined his taskforce.
Amon, whether he is truly scarred or not, has defenitly proven a capable propagandist.
Hope this is ok so far.
I will have to go back to see if I can practice spoiler covering. Just in case.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jun 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Reepi, I've watched the episodes with Ryadian and her brother, and one comment he frequently makes is how much better the animation is in Korra than in the original.

The 3D was a little hard for me to get used to in the original, but it seems to suit the atmosphere of this series, and the steampunk style of Republic City.

A comment I forget to mention earlier: Lin resigned as police chief a couple episodes ago, so she could work without the restrictions of the law. I'm curious to see what will become of that, but for right now that plan played right into Tarlokk's hands, as he was able to manipulate the new chief quite easily into letting him have even more power - hence the police state he's beginning to form.

Interesting observations, Puddleglum. Hadn't thought of that. It could also be applied to the comments I put into my spoiler above.

(Spoilers are made by typing [*spoiler]top secret info here[/spoiler] - except without the * )
stargazer

PreviousNext