This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Acting and Live Theatre.

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Acting and Live Theatre.

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm

(Why, thank you, jo. I think I will. ;)) )

So, the first time I saw the musical my seat was down on the floor in a corner so I didn't have a super great view (although I think the barricade may have looked more impressive that way). This time, I was looking down from near the top of the seating. I know Gymmie was commenting on the difficulties of using a revolving stage. One of the things we remarked on afterward was how impressive it looked when the students and crowd were marching forward (or staying in place since it's revolving and they faced us the entire sequence--that's amazing to me how you can do that :p), or how you could be walking in place and take a long time to cross the length of the stage, and it added to the surreal effect in the sewers. :ymapplause:
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby aileth » Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Sounds like loads of fun, Mel. Haven't been to a theatre performance for years now--I think the last one was Anne of Green Gables, also done by a high school. My own "acting" has been confined to VBS skits or the like, or years ago, in the faint mists of ancient time, a bit part in some production of Joseph (not the technicolour one) That was Grade 1.

We have a really talented local group, surprisingly, considering that we have a very small population base. Unfortunately, I have had to decline the honour of attending any of their plays, as they go in for what we could call, um, mature material. The day I am old enough to enjoy that...
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 28, 2014 4:36 pm

I have never seen a production of Anne of Green Gables. That would be fun. Another one I'd like to see is The Scarlet Pimpernel--my friend and I were driving home several years ago when we saw a school that was doing it that weekend and we joked that we should drop everything and go but we didn't have enough money with us. :( Someday!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby johobbit » Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Re a revolving stage (that is so cool, Mel!), we saw The Lord of the Rings musical a few times when it was here in Toronto and we were in awe as to how the movement of the stage and choreography of the actors was so seamless. At one point (the big battle), there were three revolving parts with Orcs leaping every which way. And the fact that it was done in silhouette was even more effective, with a blood-red backdrop. Amazing!

Anne of Green Gables = ♥ I saw a live theatre performance when I was much younger and loved it. So pure; so faithful to the book. Beautifully done.

Awhile back, The Sound of Music came to Toronto (the public chose who played Maria!), which was very well done. Some things were changed (although don't ask me what they were now :ymblushing: ), but not upsettingly so. A couple of songs were added, but overall, it was the same beloved story and music. However, we were not overly impressed with the man who played Captain Von Trapp: he seemed far too old and ... very uninteresting. :p Plus his voice just didn't seem up to par. Barring him, though, I'd run to see it again.
johobbit

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm

*wishes/hopes The Lord of the Rings musical would come to the Twin Cities* We have a pretty decent theatre scene... One of the smaller theatres did their own adaptation of The Hobbit a couple years ago incorporating different traditional theatre types... kabuki is the only one that I remember by name (Bilbo was 'normal' which isn't the correct term at all) and Gandalf was a Chinese type... There were minimal props and it was SO COOL. (The dwarves actually got lost in Mirkwood.)

How interesting that they got the public involved in the Sound of Music casting. How did they do it? A poll somewhere?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby johobbit » Jul 31, 2014 9:40 am

I sure hope the LotR musical does come back to North America. And then, we all must see it ... together! :D

Mel, you reminded me of a local adorable Hobbit play Nellie and I saw years ago in a small town just north of us. It was so faithful to the book, used minimal sets, but to great effect.

My mind's a bit fuzzy now as to the process of the Maria-choosing, but I believe there was a mini TV series and the public voted for each contestant. Quite the excitement, indeed, along the way, and then as #1 was finally chosen! #2 was her back-up, plus starred from time-to-time to give #1 a break. 'Though 1 was great, I do remember favouring 2, as she just looked more like Maria to me (as in, Julie Andrews' Maria).
johobbit

Postby aileth » Jul 31, 2014 10:42 am

johobbit wrote:Anne of Green Gables = ♥ I saw a live theatre performance when I was much younger and loved it. So pure; so faithful to the book. Beautifully done.

I seem to remember it being really close to the book also. Could it have been the same script? Probably not, really: there must be dozens of different ones out there. I like the AoGG movies well enough--as their own entity; the first was close to the book, the second was chopped up more, and the third, which I made the mistake of watching, was so far off the original as to be distressing.

I guess it's not really theatre, per se, but what I most want to attend is a live performance of Mendelssohn's Elijah. But I don't want to have to fly to Florida or New York to take it in. Maybe someone will relent and do it a bit closer *makes note to contact the Vancouver Symphony*
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Gymfan15 » Jul 31, 2014 3:42 pm

johobbit wrote:I sure hope the LotR musical does come back to North America. And then, we all must see it ... together! :D

Mel, you reminded me of a local adorable Hobbit play Nellie and I saw years ago in a small town just north of us. It was so faithful to the book, used minimal sets, but to great effect.

My mind's a bit fuzzy now as to the process of the Maria-choosing, but I believe there was a mini TV series and the public voted for each contestant. Quite the excitement, indeed, along the way, and then as #1 was finally chosen! #2 was her back-up, plus starred from time-to-time to give #1 a break. 'Though 1 was great, I do remember favouring 2, as she just looked more like Maria to me (as in, Julie Andrews' Maria).

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? is what it was called, wasn't it. ;)) That was a whole series on BBC...Andrew Loydd Webber used it to cast the leads for several productions he helped put on. Namely, Maria in Sound of Music, Joseph in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Nancy in Oliver!, and Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. The show had two overseas off-shoots, the Canadian version which you are referring to, and then there was a copy-cat version (I don't think it was licensed by BBC) that cast the leads in the Grease revival on Broadway a few years back. That was where Laura Osnes got discovered, btw. And ALW's UK shows discovered a lot of current West End/Broadway talent, including Rachel Tucker (did Elphaba for the longest time and is coming to Broadway this fall with The Last Ship) and Samantha Barks (Eponine in the film Les Mis).

Sorry, nerd out. I loved the BBC shows and I thought they were super entertaining, plus, I mean, musicals!
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby johobbit » Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes, yes, that was the clever title! Thanks for the background info, Gymmie. A very cool and interactive way of choosing leads, to be sure. :)
johobbit

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 31, 2014 4:25 pm

Oh, how interesting! Thanks for the description and info, Gymmie. :D

aileth mentioned VBS skits awhile back, which reminded me that last February I helped write our 4-H club's Share-the-Fun skit which was supposed to promote the 4-H program. We wrote a very silly version called 4-H's Got Talent and for our celebrity judge imitated Peter Sellers' Clouseau. They won most entertaining. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Elfiea » Feb 13, 2015 7:41 am

I've loved acting and theatre since I was little! I've done a lot of shows over the years, but I'm currently in a show called Zombie Night. It's more silly than actual quality entertainment, but we're having fun and learning a lot. :)

Last year was my big year for theatre, though. I was in three shows and was the stage manager for another one, so I had a lot going on. Last winter I was in Les Mis, which was so amazing! I was in the chorus and even now, a year later, everyone that was in Les Mis and is also in Zombie Night says that they miss Les Mis so much. Any time anybody says anything that reminds them of the lyrics, there will be spontaneous bursting into song. :p It's quite entertaining, but also bittersweet.
Thanks to daughter of the King for the avatar!
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Feb 13, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm rehearsing in Richard III (Shakespeare) at the moment, due to open on 13 March.
I have a few small speaking parts, and had better get my lines down!

Christchurch has several amateur theatre groups, all of which have struggled a bit but have survived since the earthquakes four years ago.
I belong to three of them which have their own buildings.
One society's 1920s theatre had to be demolished and is still working toward rebuilding it. The land can be reused, but everything costs time and money. A temporary arrangement got delayed...
Another group has a 1891 building which we thought had to be demolished, but is now going to be repaired and strengthened - when it can afford it.
The third had quake strengthening two years pre-quake on its 1860s stone building, but is currently having 'cosmetic' repairs to one side of the building, including rebuilding a section added on in 1968. It houses a costume hire business, all the theatre costumes, props and sets, and a performance/rehearsal area.
Live theatre has had to use school halls, churches (those not damaged), and other spaces.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » Feb 13, 2015 4:28 pm

I think most actors and actresses are born with acting flowing through their blood. Elfie and coracle, that's so cool you both have such a passion for this. Your love for the theatre is so very obvious ... in a good way!

Mel, what fun you had a significant part of helping to write the 4-H Share-the-Fun skit! "Most entertaining", cool! :D

Elfie, how fantastic that you had the opportunity to be in Les Mis! That music is amazing! Zombie Night? Sounds fun! ;)) (And welcome to this thread. :D)

Ooh, coracle, I recall seeing "Richard III" live at Stratford (Ontario) and it was unbelievable. So realistic ... especially the killings. :-s :p

Interesting to read a little history of your theatre groups and buildings.

I admire y'all, as I cannot act worth beans. :p
johobbit

Postby Elfiea » Feb 15, 2015 4:46 pm

johobbit, it's been great fun so far! I'm learning a lot and playing a character that's totally different from characters I usually play. (I usually play young, naive best friend type characters. Which are great fun! I just want to expand my horizons a bit. :) ) But now I play Vivian. She's a bit high-strung and is honestly a bit of a control freak. About halfway through the play she gets turned into a zombie, so I get to do two extremely different things in one show! (Which I've done in the past; the last few shows I've been in I've had to play multiple characters, who were honestly quite different.) It's so cool to portray her changing drastically in such a short amount of time. :)

Les Mis was one of the best times of my life. We all grew into a kind of family and it was so hard to let that go. But when you're "drunk" in one scene and "married" to a castmate in another, it's almost inevitable that you're going to grow close.

coracle, Richard III sounds so cool! I've been wanting to try my hand at some Shakespeare for a while. :D
Thanks to daughter of the King for the avatar!
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Movie Re-enactments

Postby Son of Narnia » Dec 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi! It's been a long time since I've posted anything because I've been so busy, so if this post is in the wrong place, moderators, please feel free to move it or do whatever is necessary.

I had a thought for all you Narnia lovers who are also interested in acting. I'm an acting student (currently finishing up my training in Chicago) and I thought it would be fun to get together and re-enact scenes from any of the films, or perhaps try to do one of the films in it's entirety. Of course, I don't know how many Narnia fans live near Chicago, but it can be done by anyone anywhere, so long as you have the time. Any thoughts on that? Anyone interested and live in or near Chicago? Perhaps this could be a summer event?? I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
For Narnia! And for Aslan!

As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him.

-Colossians 2:6
Son of Narnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Movie Re-enactments

Postby King_Erlian » Dec 22, 2015 2:39 am

What a brilliant idea! I'd love to take part - only problem is, I'm about 4000 miles away in England. Still, a few years ago I took part in a recording of a CD of Gilbert and Sullivan songs where the producer was in the US; he emailed me the backing tracks, I recorded my vocals in my home studio and emailed him the finished tracks. Though I imagine it may be more difficult with a movie.

Then again, if filming were to take place over a week or two in the summer, I've always wanted to visit Chicago... I'm sure there must be a part for a villainous-looking middle-aged bloke...
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext