This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Board Games!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Board Games!!!

Postby outlier » Oct 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Just throwing this out there: what's your strategy for winning monopoly?

Most of the time I try to get the dark blue (Park Place-Boardwalk) and yellow and/or red (don't remember those property names :( ) monopolies, but more recently I've been trying to change up my tactics :ymsmug:
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 27, 2011 3:50 am

outlier wrote:Just throwing this out there: what's your strategy for winning monopoly?

Not to play. ;))

I'm sorry, I know it sounds callous of me, but I really cannot stand that game. If you ever find yourself in Walmart or Target and you happen by the toy section it's worth it to pick up a copy of Monopoly Deal. It's a Monopoly-themed card game that gets Traditional Monopoly's point across in a tiny fraction of the time it takes to play the former. And it costs all of $5. :D

And I know this bit of news is going to excite stargazer ;). Board game publisher Fantasy Flight Games is doing a reprint of Merchant of Venus. To get a functional set of the original anymore requires eBay and about $200 (at minimum) so this should end up being a fraction of that. Figured you'd like to hear the news, my friend. As soon as I saw it I thought of ya! B-)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby outlier » Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Shadowlander wrote:
outlier wrote:Just throwing this out there: what's your strategy for winning monopoly?

Not to play. ;))

I'm sorry, I know it sounds callous of me, but I really cannot stand that game. If you ever find yourself in Walmart or Target and you happen by the toy section it's worth it to pick up a copy of Monopoly Deal. It's a Monopoly-themed card game that gets Traditional Monopoly's point across in a tiny fraction of the time it takes to play the former. And it costs all of $5. :D

Yeah I have some relatives who bring Monopoly Deal into town and play it once in a while, but in the times I've tried to play it, it didn't make much sense to me. I suppose I just rather play the original instead *shrugs*
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Awwww! It seems a bit convoluted at first, I'll admit that. You just want to make sure and try to get 3 complete sets of properties. Of course all those goofy "Sly Deal" and "Dealbreaker" Cards can really make anyone's day go wrong ;)). Just remember that you can only have a maximum of 7 cards in your hand at the end of each turn, and that you have only 3 actions per turn. And above all outlier, always, always, always make sure to put down any money you have into a pile as soon as you can. That's your insurance policy against the troublemakers you're playing against. ;)) And remember, if you don't have any cash on hand you can always turn those unused hotels, houses, and Sly Deal cards into cash themselves! :D

Here's my review of Monopoly Deal. Despite my dislike of basic Monopoly this is a really fun game and a great take on the original!

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby stargazer » Oct 30, 2011 2:39 pm

That's awesome news about Merchant of Venus, Shadowlander! Thanks! (I know several friends, among them Ryadian's father, will also be pleased).

Not to play.

I understand. :) Your reply reminds me of the end of the movie WarGames. ;))

One possible answer to the Monopoly strategy question...

A statistically-minded friend has studied the Monopoly board and played a lot of games, and has concluded that the orange properties on the standard board (St James Place, Tennessee Avenue, and New York Avenue) are the best single monopoly on the board. This is due to the luck of the dice: they are all close to 7 squares past the Jail square, and 7 is the most likely roll on 2 dice. (And there are several ways players get sent to Jail, adding to the likelihood these properties will be landed on).

The monopolies on either side of these are also good.

Other notes: Boardwalk and Park Place are popular, but if other players have a monopoly you're less likely to win with them (they're only 2 spaces rather than 3). The smallest monopoly (Mediterranean and Baltic Avenues) usually is insufficient to win you the game alone. The railroads are a nice monopoly but offer no opportunity for growth.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby outlier » Oct 31, 2011 10:17 pm

shadowlander, thanks for the review. Now next time I'll actually be doing something other than collecting properties and throwing around random cards :ymblushing: However, I still do like the original. Maybe deal is quicker, but suppose I still enjoy an outrageously long game of Monopoly (and normally, I am oddly good at making those shady deals :p ).

stargazer, interesting... I always figured that it would be safest to get monopolies on the properties with higher rent, but then again it is pretty easy to get in jail. I agree about the railroads though: they're nice in the beginning, but once all of the properties are bought, you don't profit as much anymore...
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepi » Nov 01, 2011 1:22 am

Shadowlander wrote:And I know this bit of news is going to excite stargazer ;). Board game publisher Fantasy Flight Games is doing a reprint of Merchant of Venus. To get a functional set of the original anymore requires eBay and about $200 (at minimum) so this should end up being a fraction of that. Figured you'd like to hear the news, my friend. As soon as I saw it I thought of ya! B-)

Knowing Fantasy Flight Games, in the end you might have paid even more once they start churning out expansion after expansion :P Not even saying their regular games are on the cheaper side either ;)
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shadowlander » Nov 01, 2011 3:53 am

Knowing Fantasy Flight Games, in the end you might have paid even more once they start churning out expansion after expansion

Very true! By the same token though the base game should keep folks steady for a time. It seems like all the newer games have 10+ expansions each. We played our original Axis & Allies for years with nothing of the sort. Probably one of the best board game investments I ever made. ;))

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Reepi » Nov 04, 2011 9:26 am

It just came to my attention that Stronghold Games now also claims to have acquired the valid license to reprint Merchant of Venus. Of course both companies are thinking they are the ones owning the valid license.
Where Fantasy Flight Games made a deal with Hasbro for the reprint, (now owner of the original publisher, apparently), whereas Stronghold games made a deal directly with the original designer of the game. Legal Battle ensues!

Also, Fantasy Flight has posted their box-art of the new Merchant of Venus, citing "2-4 players", meaning there will be an expansion for those 6 player battles of old.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnialuver » Nov 06, 2011 4:37 pm

1. What is your favorite board game? Clue
2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? have no clue
3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? na
4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? Clue Monopoly Battle ship
5. What color do you like to use? (pawn, token, armies, etc.) green
6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)?Mustard
7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)?Fun
8. Chess or Checkers?Chess
9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: life
10. What board game do you play more than any other? Clue

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Nov 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Ryadian's parents hosted a good old-fashioned board game night last evening, and I thought of this thread. Games played included:

Merchant of Venus (we do have one good condition set that we use sparingly).
Settlers of Catan
Acquire - in which players build, buy stock in, and merge hotel chains
Munchkin - a card game that is a sort of spoof on role playing games
And Operation - the Star Wars version

A good time was had by all!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 21, 2011 4:48 pm

My boyfriend taught me how to play Cribbage and it's so much fun! It's both a card game and a board game. You play with cards but keep track of points on the board so I guess it counts as both.

My dad knew how to play and we had a board growing up. I can't believe I spent my entire growing up years never asking him to teach me how to play.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepi » Nov 21, 2011 6:04 pm

stargazer wrote:Merchant of Venus (we do have one good condition set that we use sparingly).
A good time was had by all!

My advice: If you don't have any strong emotional connection to this particular copy of Merchan of Venus: Sell it as long as it is worth as much as it is, then grab a shiny new copy for much less when the reprint arrives sooner or later (it is still unknown, who in fact, will, as the legal battle is going on in the background.)

I did play Munchkin recently, but only briefly, as the owner, who had just bought it went to return it after only 10 minutes or so (kind of a strange story...)
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shadowlander » Nov 22, 2011 11:19 am

Reepi wrote:I did play Munchkin recently, but only briefly, as the owner, who had just bought it went to return it after only 10 minutes or so (kind of a strange story...)

I hear a lot of mixed reviews on Munchkin, though I've never actually played it myself. The same goes for the Fluxx games, which appear to drive people bonkers with its constantly changing nature.

My advice: If you don't have any strong emotional connection to this particular copy of Merchan of Venus: Sell it as long as it is worth as much as it is, then grab a shiny new copy for much less when the reprint arrives sooner or later (it is still unknown, who in fact, will, as the legal battle is going on in the background.)

That'd be such a tough decision though for a lot of folks. It would be like me getting rid of my old 1982 edition of Risk...I know there's Risk games in far better condition than mine, but this particular set is the one I spent so many hours in my formative years holing up in Australia or foolishly attempting to subjugate Asia ;)) (who hasn't tried that at least once??). Chances are if they've kept a copy this long they're probably not going to go for that option. I've never played MoV, but the way stargazer talks about it I might have to buy a copy myself when the reprint comes out. :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Reepi » Nov 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Shadowlander wrote:I hear a lot of mixed reviews on Munchkin, though I've never actually played it myself. The same goes for the Fluxx games, which appear to drive people bonkers with its constantly changing nature.

Apparently Munchkin is something one either likes very much, or not at all. Funnily enough, he did exchange Munchkin for Fluxx when returning it (we haven't played Fluxx yet, though) :P

btw: Am I the only one who, upon getting any new game, instantly puts all cards and other potentially destructible components in sleeves?
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shadowlander » Nov 22, 2011 1:41 pm

The only Looney Labs game I have is Back the to Future: The Card Game. And I've yet to play it despite my very much wanting to. Perhaps this weekend for board game night...

I did not hear about sleeving cards until I joined BGG. I know what it is but I would be hard pressed to figure out how to do it on my own. I guess one could always just laminate the cards, but that kind of makes it so you're playing with credit cards instead of playing cards. ;))

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

PreviousNext