This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Tim Burton

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Tim Burton

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 13, 2009 5:28 pm

SusanTheArcher wrote:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is probably my least favourite. I didn't like Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. I thought he wasn't childish enough... he (as the character) was more of a crazy adult trying to be a child than an adult who hadn't grown up at all. He wasn't crazy in the wild, carefree way book-Wonka is. His craziness was too old and that made him a bit creepy when Wonka shouldn't be creepy.

Exactly why I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And the factory- I expected it to be a bit more cheery.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_silver » Sep 14, 2009 12:39 pm

I recently watched "Big Fish" in a class where we were talking about Meta-fiction and "stories within stories" and it was really interesting, taking note of who was narrating which story and who the stories were all being told too and how they advanced the present day narrative.
I feel I have to see it again in order to really understand it all. :)

Sig by Me avy by thatonebrunette
triplets with Kate/NL101
Narnian_silver
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 14, 2009 7:28 pm

As previously mentioned, I had a chance to see 9 with friends this weekend. We enjoyed it, but I'll refrain from offering spoilers since it's so new - except to mention that while we picked up several familiar themes in the movie, some of the ways they're handled made this movie a little different (in a positive way :) ). And the voice talent (including Christopher Plummer, Elijah Wood, and Martin Landau) was very good.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Edward Scissorhands is one of my all-time favorite movies, and definitely my favorite Tim Burton film. I don't know why I love it, since I'm always dissappointed with the ending... but I won't go further because I'm too lazy to use a spoiler box. :D

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was enjoyable. I grew up with the Gene Wilder version and it always disturbed me, but I found Tim Burton's version humorous and clever. Johnny Depp's portrayal of Willy Wonka was unconventional, but he's one of my favorite actors just for that reason; he has his own take for everything (which is why I don't want him in Narnia, despite his wondrous talents ;) )
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Amat » Sep 18, 2009 9:53 am

I think my favorite of Tim Burton's is Sleepy Hollow. I liked Ichabod and
how he faints in the movie.

I like Edward Scissorhands and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too.
I like how Willy argues with the children.
"Famous folks" prayer request, now on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=356574486073
Amat
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 19, 2009 7:46 am

Bother Eustace wrote: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was enjoyable. I grew up with the Gene Wilder version and it always disturbed me, but I found Tim Burton's version humorous and clever. Johnny Depp's portrayal of Willy Wonka was unconventional, but he's one of my favorite actors just for that reason; he has his own take for everything (which is why I don't want him in Narnia, despite his wondrous talents ;) )

I have to agree with you! Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka kind of creeped me out, that's why I love Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka. I think he's very child-like, and the one thing I really liked was
how they went back to his childhood and showed why he was the way he was. Also, all of the kids have more personality in the new version. The parents as well. And Veruca Salt was a little more tolerable :p
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ceppault » Sep 19, 2009 7:56 am

Mar In Narnia wrote:I'm really looking forward to Alice in Wonderland in 2010 :D
Ditto.

Beetlejuice was my first experience with Tim Burton. It and it remains one of my favorites. We've not seen all his movies, but he remains a favorite director. Frankenweenie remains a favorite short of his. Don't much care for the way presented other films - wont watch Sleepy Hollow or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Miss Rachel (ramagut) and I worked on one of the sets for Mars Attacks!; the ambulance company I worked for provided services during location filming near us on this dry lake bed. Mr Burton appears to be interesting, very focused, and easy to work for. Every day, he wore the exact same style of shirt; the shirts had little skulls all over them.

Summoned to the set for two patient's with severe burns. Terrible. Truly. :p By far more interesting than Sarah Jessica Parker. [/very gentle sarcasm]

Miss Rachel's mum; top center, with a bright orange/yellow hat. Her starring role as an extra in Mars Attacks!

Edit: *answers nl101's question below* There was a good sized open call for extras out of Kingman, Arizona. Easily 200 people were selected. They needed to be available for up to two weeks; this ruled-out folks with a full-time job. The same extras were used in every crowd shot, just everyone was rearranged to make it look like a bigger crowd. ;))
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnialover101 » Sep 19, 2009 7:57 am

Actually, Veruca Salt being more tolerable was one of the things I liked less about the new one; she's not as bratty, so it's not as satisfying when she gets whats coming to her. ;)

I'm kind of surprised that all of you found Johnny to be creepy as Willy Wonka; I always thought of him as just being a sort of silly genius.

I agree with Briofthesilversea that...
showing his past was a huge bonus to his character; gave him so much depth. Does anyone know if they tell about his past in the book or not? I haven't read it myself.

Cep, I believe I've heard you talk about your meeting Tim Burton before; very cool! Interesting about Ramagut's mom, how'd she manage to get a part as an extra?

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 19, 2009 12:40 pm

No,
they didn't write about his past in the book. I was thinking they would, but they didn't....as far as I remember anyway. I read it a LONG time ago, but it doesn't ring a bell.
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I agree with narnialover101 about Veruca Salt in the new version. She's supposed to be bratty. You're supposed to hate her.

Willy Wonka's past being thrown in, it was okay. Totally unexpected on my part, but it worked.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Sep 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will be closed on Thursday evening of this week.
johobbit

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm

briofthesilversea, it's my turn to agree with you!

Willy Wonka's past was an excellent touch. It really added to the storyline; made him more approachable, in a way, and less bizarre. And for some reason I love the part where Willy returns to his home and the entire building is gone... that was sad, but hilarious. =))
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Bother Eustace wrote:briofthesilversea, it's my turn to agree with you!

Willy Wonka's past was an excellent touch. It really added to the storyline; made him more approachable, in a way, and less bizarre. And for some reason I love the part where Willy returns to his home and the entire building is gone... that was sad, but hilarious. =))

Have to admit that that was a good touch! Especially since
his dad hadn't aged a bit. I loved that. And also, that it was in the middle of nowhere yet he was still in business!
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous