This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Tim Burton

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Special Feature: Tim Burton

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 10, 2009 5:12 pm

He's known for his wacky style, and perhaps considered 'dark humor'. The man behind the movies The Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and many more--Tim Burton! Probably one of the most unique directors in Hollywood has been chosen for a Special Feature.
Some trivia on him includes: He's inspired by the late Vincent Price, and actually made a short film based on a child who was also inspired by Mr. Price. Tim Burton and his long time girlfriend/fiancee have two children. He prefers working with Johnny Depp out of all actors. And finally, a famous quote from the man.

"I've always been misrepresented. You know, I could dress in a clown costume and laugh with the happy people but they'd still say I'm a dark personality." - Tim Burton

So, discuss away! Forum rules apply :)

Briofthesilversea
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Special Feature: Tim Burton

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 10, 2009 5:23 pm

I loved Nightmare before Christmas, but I didn't really enjoy his take on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny Depp was too dark as Willy Wonka.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Beetlejuice is the first Tim Burton film I saw (partly attracted by the name, which is a homonym for the bright star Betelgeuse in Orion) and I rather liked much of its zany humor. Plus, it's full of familiar names: Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, and others.

I wasn't as fond of his Mars Attacks!; the Martians' weakness was much like that of the evil vegetables in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. ;) But it does have some fun references to old sci-fi films like Plan Nine from Outer Space.

This weekend I'll be seeing his latest effort, 9, with friends from work.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 10, 2009 6:03 pm

I didn't think Johnny Depp was a dark Willy Wonka. He just seemed incredibly child-like. As though he never grew up.

I've seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Edward Scissorhands and liked them both very much. ES was really sad though. :( I want to see 9.

I saw parts of The Nightmare Before Christmas when I was little (at a friend's house), but my mom didn't want me watching it so I stopped. :P Not exactly sure if I'll ever see it all the way through. Perhaps in a few years time.

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby Mar In Narnia » Sep 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Woo! A Tim Burton special feature!!

I've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks!, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and loved all of them :) Specially, Charlie... Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka was, IMHO, brilliant. Edward... was lovely too, but very sad as Rising_Star said. I like the duo Tim Burton - Johnny Depp.

I didn't really like Planet of the Apes, though.

The things that I love from Tim Burton's movies are his choices for actors, the sets and the photography, how he uses the colours. Everything seems to be colourful in some of his movies.

I'm really looking forward to Alice in Wonderland in 2010 :D
Thanks to malkah for the lovely avatar!
Mar In Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 11, 2009 12:51 am

Lol i loved sleepy hollow it was so funny. Nightmare before Christmas is one of my favorites.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian1 » Sep 11, 2009 5:01 am

I enjoyed Sleepy Hollow at first, but I don't care for it at all anymore,
and the same thing happened with Big Fish to me.

I saw Sweeney Todd in theaters, and while I didn't dislike it,
I didn't totally love it either. I'd not see it again.

Edward Scissorhands was the first I saw of his and loved it at the time,
haven't seen it since so I don't know how it'll hold up for me.

Nightmare Before Christmas, which he didn't direct by the way,
I've never seen in full, it's never clicked right with me.

I loved the beginning of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, not much considering that once the other kids were introduced and they go off to the factory it went downhill for me.

I am highly anticipating Alice in Wonderland however.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 12, 2009 2:51 am

:-o they were all grea movies. Well that's my opinion anyway.

I really need to see Sweeney Todd.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ALittleMoreSonic » Sep 12, 2009 8:34 am

So far I've only seen Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow (both since July). I must say that his style is absolutely fascinating. The color palettes that he uses, the way he sets his shots up... it just adds another dimension of intrigue that no other director can achieve.

Pairing him with Danny Elfman and Johnny Depp just makes the movie all the better. It's like they all think alike and can all work toward that common, bizarre, fascinating goal.

I LOVE Sleepy Hollow. At first I watched it because (wait for it...) I knew Ray Park was one of the stuntpeople inside the headless version of the Horseman. Yep. That's why. But the brilliance of the rest of it made it an awesome movie.
ALittleMoreSonic
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wisewoman » Sep 12, 2009 8:47 am

Ooh. We did not like Sleepy Hollow at all! I didn't care for how Burton revelled in the gore and tried to make it... funny. It wasn't! We stopped watching about a third in. Would you say it gets better or worse from that point?
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 12, 2009 12:40 pm

wisewoman wrote:Ooh. We did not like Sleepy Hollow at all! I didn't care for how Burton revelled in the gore and tried to make it... funny. It wasn't! We stopped watching about a third in. Would you say it gets better or worse from that point?

Well, it definately has a little bit more blood...it is one of my favorite Burton films, because to me the blood seems really really fake. I really liked Christina Ricci's performance in it. She looks way different with blonde hair.

My other favorite Burton movies are Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, and for sure Charlie and Edward Scissorhands. I really liked the music in Sweeney, and the really, as long as you can look past the gore, it's a pretty good film overall. The ending shows that revenge isn't the way to go.
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 12, 2009 6:48 pm

wisewoman wrote:Ooh. We did not like Sleepy Hollow at all! I didn't care for how Burton revelled in the gore and tried to make it... funny. It wasn't! We stopped watching about a third in. Would you say it gets better or worse from that point?

Me and my sister were the opposite. we thought ti was really funny and didn't stop laughing the whole wya through. since it looked so fake.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 12, 2009 7:15 pm

I have to agree with wisewoman. I saw part of Sleepy Hollow, but stopped, for the same reasons.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 12, 2009 9:18 pm

The blood looked like tomato sauce. =)) . One of the best movies i have seen this year. I like stuff like that though i wouldn't like it if the blood was real or looked real but since it doesn't i like it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SusanTheArcher » Sep 13, 2009 10:19 am

I'm so excited for Alice in Wonderland! I've seen the photos and it looks amazing... though from the trailer I didn't like Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. In the preview he sounds more scary than crazy.

I saw Mars Attacks!, which was hilarious (although a bit violent... my parents didn't let me watch it until I was past 11, which seemed big back then but isn't that old now that I look back on it!), Sweeney Todd... awesome. I'm not too fond of blood and such but the rest of the movie was good enough to make me forget about those scenes. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is probably my least favourite. I didn't like Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. I thought he wasn't childish enough... he (as the character) was more of a crazy adult trying to be a child than an adult who hadn't grown up at all. He wasn't crazy in the wild, carefree way book-Wonka is. His craziness was too old and that made him a bit creepy when Wonka shouldn't be creepy.
"'I say that if one could know what will happen after death, then not one of us would be afraid of death....One's afraid of the unknown, that's what it is.'" -- Tolstoy, War and Peace

My LiveJournal
SusanTheArcher
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnialover101 » Sep 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Whoa! How did I miss this thread? :p

I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton (which you might have guessed by my avatars ;) ) I've seen Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, and Planet of the Apes.

I had a similar problem with Sleepy Hollow as wisewoman did; too much gore, although when you consider the premise of the story I guess it's to be expected and I admit I did laugh at a few bits. :p Besides the gore I felt the women villain was very cliche and not well done. I still liked, but not my favorite. Corpse Bride was very entertaining and I still have no idea why; it was on TV at a friends house and we just couldn't turn it off. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of my favorites; the obnoxious songs and overly goofy Willy Wonka just make for a fascinating story. Edward Scissorhands is also among my favorites; while I feel the structure suffers from some lack of experience on the part of Tim Burton, it is still a beautiful story with memorable characters. Big Fish is a weird one; I love it, but it just doesn't have the same feel as Burton's other films. Planet of the Apes I didn't like so much (mostly because of the ending) but it's not really Burton's fault, I just didn't enjoy the storyline that much.

Right now I'm eagerly awaiting Alice and Wonderland and plan on seeing 9 very soon!

Also, just making sure everyone realizes the Tim Burton did not direct Nightmare Before Christmas; he was the producer and co-writer.

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Next