This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Fabulous Fashion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Fabulous Fashion

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 19, 2014 12:45 am

@rose I may look into those. Speaking of mod cloth I did buy this: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/pullovers- ... ay-sweater

Yes for the 50% off price not the original price.

I also really like dresses with collars such as the following: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/al ... d-up-dress

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/i-can-zig-it-dress
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Oh wow, I love that sweater, IlF! The raccoon is too cute. Is it sad that "That raccoon sweater would be perfect for kitchen raiding" is one of the first thoughts that popped into my head? :)) (Raccoons are famous for getting into things in North America. They've always reminded me of little bandits. ;))) Those collars are really cute, too. :)

I can't remember if I've ever linked DownEast Basics on here or not, but if I haven't... I really should have. ;))

This is so cute. I like how it sort of has a little bit of Grecian flair.

Love the length and the colors/stripes.

Both color combos are adorable. I really like the pleated skirt and the high/low hemline.

Are those strawberries on the green print? D'awwww. Want.

I love the smocking on the top and the sleeves.

Pretty much everything they sell is modest and relatively affordable; two things that I really appreciate!
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Rose wrote:That swishy blue floral skirt sounds so pretty, Mel! Sounds like you had some good luck at the thrift stores! Maybe you can post some pictures sometime. :)

Maybe I can. :) It's certainly easier than hunting down the brand online. If I remember right, the skirt is Christopher & Banks, but the top (also one of my favorites!) is...B something. Not one I'm familiar with.

Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

@rose yes I think I remember a children's program with such a raccoon.

Looking at that bright yellow skirt rose linked us to, it reminds me of how I avoid bright colours now usually. Endless it is a scarf or shoes(basically an accessory).I don't know why, I guess I always find items that match wih darker colours better.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby aileth » Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Having had no fashion sense as a kid, I too tend to go with dark colours, IlF; it's safer, and you don't have to wince when you see pictures later. While getting a bit bolder with blouses, I almost invariably go with a solid, dark skirt.

Apparently, smocking is back in, Rosie. Good thing it looks so nice. But have you ever tried doing it? Talk about hair-pullingly maddening!

I like the flare of that skirt, Melty (and the colour...and the pattern). Far better than the 100-year-old fashion of hobble skirts like this:
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Mentioning fashion sense as a child of jeez. I was a young kid in the late nineties early 2000's. Those ages between 0-8 where you have little choice of what you wear. Images of tight floral shorts and leopard prints come to mind pair with an equally horrible shirt. I remember the adult fashions at the time. Those long denim skirts that I could never like if one forced me. I will try and scavenge some pictures next time I am at my parents but I am sure my sister has some on her instagram account of us.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 28, 2014 9:04 am

I am equally horrified by some of the things I wore as a child. You're braver than I to even consider posting pictures, ILF. (Granted, there are a few outfits I wear now of which I dearly hope there will be no pictorial evidence later. ;)) )

Funny you should mention 100 year old fashion, aileth. It so happens that I have an antique skirt and blouse set that is now... 110 years old. In my opinion, it's gorgeous. :D I did a repro and skipped a few panels from the back. It was one of my favorites for years until the fabric started wearing through. I should make another one when I find a good piece of goods. (I know I have pictures of it, but the only one I can put my hands on doesn't show the similarities.)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

I love that swishy blue skirt, Mel! What a great find! :ymapplause: Actually, I love the whole ensemble. Cat included. ;))

IloveFauns wrote:Looking at that bright yellow skirt rose linked us to, it reminds me of how I avoid bright colours now usually. Endless it is a scarf or shoes(basically an accessory).I don't know why, I guess I always find items that match wih darker colours better.

Lol, I often like the idea of wearing bright colors, but being something of a shrinking violet, I usually end up chickening out. ;)) I have so many clothes in shades of light gray. My subconscious seems to believe that I'm living in a black and white film. ;)) Still, I think that light grays do a good job bringing out the color in my complexion, whereas really bright colors can often make me look a bit pale. (I need a tan. :P)

aileth wrote:Apparently, smocking is back in, Rosie. Good thing it looks so nice. But have you ever tried doing it? Talk about hair-pullingly maddening!

I haven't! I can imagine, though. ;)) I've never had a chance to get into sewing, but I've always wanted to try. One of these days.... :D

IloveFauns wrote: I was a young kid in the late nineties early 2000's. Those ages between 0-8 where you have little choice of what you wear. Images of tight floral shorts and leopard prints come to mind pair with an equally horrible shirt.

Oh dear. ;))

Something I like pondering about is what fashions will look like in ten or twenty years. It's easy to discern a marked difference between the fashions of the 90s, or even the early 2000s, as compared to today's popular apparel, and it makes you wonder how future fashion will look distinctly different.

Meltintalle wrote:Funny you should mention 100 year old fashion, aileth. It so happens that I have an antique skirt and blouse set that is now... 110 years old. In my opinion, it's gorgeous. :D

Oooh! That's lovely! :ymapplause: I like your reproduction as well, and the sweater you paired with it! Really nice color combination.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Jul 28, 2014 2:57 pm

I guess in every era there are those lemons that people look back at and cringe about (70s, anyone?) And then people nowadays try to revive them. Aaack! But there were a lot of really nice ideas in every era, also. I'm partial to the styles of the Victorian era, but not the really frilly, elabourate ones.

This dress (the right-hand side) is one that I made, when I was working at a historic attraction. I found the pattern at Fort Steele, a different heritage site, and paid the ruinous price of $25 dollars for it. (Well, it was ruinous then, and yes, well, it is still ruinous now :) ) My friends recommended that I do the closure with velcro and just put the buttons on as decorations. Would I listen? Oh no, I wouldn't. 20 tiny buttons and buttonholes later...

IlF, I'm afraid that my worst wardrobe choices were post-8 years old, that is, ones I picked myself--I tell you, I had no fashion sense! And I didn't care, either, at the time. Most of the clothes we had were passed down to us, by older cousins and friends, and were set aside until we grew into them. We had a running joke about our basement--someone would say, "Oh, what a nice outfit, where did you get it?" Our answer? "Oh, I don't know, it came out of the basement."

Melty, that skirt looks quite comfy. Do you like to wear things until they're only fit for the rag bag? I know I do. Things go from being good clothes, to casual, to farm clothes, and at last to, "Can I possibly mend this one more time?"
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Rose wrote:Something I like pondering about is what fashions will look like in ten or twenty years. It's easy to discern a marked difference between the fashions of the 90s, or even the early 2000s, as compared to today's popular apparel, and it makes you wonder how future fashion will look distinctly different.
Oh, I know! You don't really see it at the time, but once there's a bit of time between now and then it's easy to see. And it's fun to see what people 100 years ago thought fashion would look like today. (In one case, it was actually disappointing because we would have looked like 1600s pirate ladies. I wish I remembered where I saw that set of images, because I bet y'all would enjoy it too. ;)) )

aileth wrote:Do you like to wear things until they're only fit for the rag bag? I know I do.
Absolutely. ;)) Except I took a bunch of almost good stuff out of circulation on the speculation that I could turn them into a scrap quilt instead.

The puffed sleeves on the left-hand side of the pattern make me think of Anne of Green Gables. I bet your dress looks (looked?) really nice.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Thank you for sharing that pattern, aileth! It's lovely! :ymapplause: My favorite is the one on the left... that pattern in a lovely gingham fabric would make for one very happy Rose. :ymdaydream:

Meltintalle wrote:Oh, I know! You don't really see it at the time, but once there's a bit of time between now and then it's easy to see. And it's fun to see what people 100 years ago thought fashion would look like today. (In one case, it was actually disappointing because we would have looked like 1600s pirate ladies. I wish I remembered where I saw that set of images, because I bet y'all would enjoy it too. ;)) )

Oh my goodness, now THAT is a shame. :)) I want to go to the alternate universe where that prediction came to pass. ;))

I remember seeing a news reel from the 30s about future fashion... ooooh, found it! A head lamp? Really? ;)) Though I will say that the container for candy on the man's outfit is a very good idea. :P

Based on the accuracy of past predictions, it's probably safe to assume that future fashions will not be anything like what we'd expect and probably slightly disappointing as well. ;))

Mel wrote:The puffed sleeves on the left-hand side of the pattern make me think of Anne of Green Gables.

I thought of the same thing! Anne and I have always shared a fondness for puff sleeves. ;))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Thanks to Google, I found it. :p Future Dictates of Fashion

We can be very glad some of these did not happen. =))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby aileth » Jul 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Nice for fancy-dress parties. Only problem is, who goes to those anymore. Maybe someone saw that 1978 example--doesn't that smack of bellbottom pants. Or horrors! the 1983 hideosity.

Betsy-Rose wrote:Based on the accuracy of past predictions, it's probably safe to assume that future fashions will not be anything like what we'd expect and probably slightly disappointing as well. ;))

We can only hope :-o Those platform shoes look awfully familiar though. That and the daring cut of the dresses. These days they're comparatively covering, but at the time they would have been quite shocking.
aileth

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Oh my goodness, Meltintalle. Some of those are downright dreadful. ;)) I feel like whoever does the costume design for the people living in the Capitol in The Hunger Games could draw a lot of inspiration from those sketches. :)) That said, I do think that 1912 is pretty and princessy, if a bit weird. The one on the right in 1940 is interesting, though I have no idea what's on her head. I rather like the shepherdess details in some of them, too.

aileth wrote:We can only hope :-o Those platform shoes look awfully familiar though. That and the daring cut of the dresses. These days they're comparatively covering, but at the time they would have been quite shocking.

(Betsy-Rose is such a cute nickname! :D)

Indeed! I'd say those two elements are about the only things they got right in that reel.

I just saw this dress over at ModCloth. Love the print!! Sometimes I wish they would get into the fabric-selling business. ;))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 29, 2014 5:52 am

@aileth I love victorian style clothing. I like a victorian style jackets with skinny jeans. I won't got the full thing or someone would think I am going to a costume party.

@rose I look pale not matter what I wear because I am just pale, I like it however. I would look terrible with a tan, especially on my face.

I never wear hills, I mean never. I own a nice 60's style pair but I am too scared and I always fill way more comfortable with my feet flat on the ground. I always say if all else fails wear a pair of converse(chucks).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Lol, I know what you mean about heels, IlF. They scare me a bit, too, and they can really hurt as well. Luckily, I'm pretty tall and I don't really "need" to wear them, but sometimes they can look very pretty and really accentuate an outfit. I'm especially fond of high-heeled mary janes; they're so cute.

Annnd now I'm looking at shoes on ModCloth. :)) I couldn't help it, my fingers typed in the web address of their own accord... ;)

These are so pretty. I love the bow detail, and the color.
D'aww, these kitten heels are too cute! I really like the colors and the vintage flair.
These mary janes!! The color!!
I really love the shape of this shoe, and the heel looks sturdy, too.
Okay, just one more. ;))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

PreviousNext