Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Postby aileth » Aug 30, 2017 9:06 am

The Rosie-Treed Dryad wrote:Turned out really nice, especially after slathering it in cream cheese frosting.

Yes, but isn't everything better with cream cheese frosting?

I presume that your beans are cooked and ground up? A friend of mine once made split pea soup: her husband didn't like it, so she put it into a chocolate cake. Cake tasted great, but the rest of them did wonder what all the hard little bits were.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
NarniaWeb Junkie
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby fantasia_kitty » Sep 02, 2017 5:50 am

Rose, you inspired me, I decided to try making black bean brownies yesterday. I'm not much of a healthy nut, but my husband and I are rather desperate and willing to try unusual recipes in the hopes of getting different nutrients into our kids.
The brownies were definitely interesting. i couldn't taste the black beans, but the texture was there. My husband said the black beans were the first thing he could taste, but we both liked them quite a bit. I think the only thing I would change would be to leave the extra chocolate chips off the top (don't care about it looking pretty and I had a major sugar rush) and I'm not the biggest fan of coconut, but I used coconut oil both in the recipe and also to coat the pan, so they tasted a little to strongly of coconut for me.
I'm really glad I tried them though, and I'll be saving this recipe in the future. :)

Oh, almost forgot to mention that my son liked them, but my daughter doesn't even know they exist yet. I'll offer her some today to see what she thinks (she's far pickier than my son).
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 03, 2017 5:01 pm

True, aileth @cream cheese frosting... it seems a little bit like cheating. Although the cake was good on its own, too. ;)) And yes, the beans were cooked and ground up thoroughly. I love that story about the split pea soup!! Talk about sweet revenge. :ymdevil: ;))

Ooh, glad that you and your family liked the black bean brownie recipe, fk! I'm curious what your daughter thought of them. I've known about that recipe for years and have never gotten around to trying them yet. And yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of coconut either. I used butter in my cake. ;))

I'd love to test out a bean dessert recipe with adzuki beans sometime... they're very mildly flavored and they are often used in East Asian cuisine as a filling in sweets and pastries and even paired with ice cream. I've read that Asians actually think American chili is really weird because they're so accustomed to beans being a "sweet" food!
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby fantasia_kitty » Sep 17, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm not officially jumping on one of those popular food bandwagons...at least not yet ;)) But I've been reading a lot of interesting stuff about the new craze in Europe about starting babies off on liver and other finely pureed meat for their first foods, and I like what I'm reading. And so because of this new craze, I'm making my first ever batch of bone broth this weekend. I got a big fat 3lb beef bone from the local Amish community and it's been boiling for about 20 hours now.

I've never done this before so it's a really interesting process. I ALMOST messed it up because the vast majority of the water cooked out. Oops. :P But following three different recipes online, I think I'll end up with a product I'm really happy with. :)

I admit I can't wrap my mind around this as being something people put in a mug and drink as a hot drink though. That to me is bizarre. I told myself to get over it as that's the same thing as giving it to my daughter as a first food. :))

I plan to cook it the rest of the day today and then do a rapid cool down of it before I go to bed. I'll probably freeze the majority of it in measured ice cubes (so I know how many cubes = 1 cup) and then use it either for cooking or feeding my kid if she eats it.

I've read you can save the fat too and use that as a cooking medium, and I think I will because it SHOULD be a very nice fat to use to add extra flavor to a meal.

ETA 9/19 @ 9:40am: Two days later, I'm very pleased with the results. I ended up with 8.5 cups of bone broth. I added very little salt to it because babies aren't supposed to have salty foods, but it still tastes very good. It's also very heavy. I skimmed the fat off and froze a bunch of it in ice cube trays and the rest in tupperware containers. I had a small amount left over to put in the fridge for the little. :)
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Yum, fk! I've had store-bought bone broth before, but I've never gotten around to making it myself yet. If you end up making it regularly, you might want to try this method for making bone broth "bouillion"... you have to keep a close eye on it as the water is cooking out, but it saves a lot of space in the freezer! That's also how they made "portable soup" in centuries past.

I was looking up recipes on YouTube yesterday and did a double-take when I saw bone broth cookies, of all things... turns out they're essentially peanut butter cookies with some (probably super expensive) bone broth protein powder added in. I think of myself as a pioneer in the kitchen and even I'm a bit weirded out by this one. :))
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Previous