This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Cultural Curiosities: Life in Other Countries

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Cultural Curiosities: Life in Other Countries

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 31, 2010 4:21 pm

I've done something like this before and thought it would be cool to do again: ask British people the questions that us in the US (and other countries) always wonder. I have a few!

Do you sound like the people in the Narnia movies, or are there many very-different accents?

What is the RRP or whatever, the standard regional accent? (I can't remember what it's called, but they taught it to the non-brits for The Lord of the Rings.

How very much do you like your tea? Do you drink coffee, hot chocolate, etc.?

I'm sure I'll think of many more, but that's it to get it started! :)

Curious Lu, British-wannabe :D
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Ask a Brit!

Postby Watziznehm » Dec 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Oh, I've got one, I've got one! Why the heck am I here? :ymsmug:

Okay, for something actually serious. How do most Brits view royalty, and I just mean royalty in general?
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Dec 31, 2010 4:56 pm

I wasn't born in the UK but my mom is from there and I have family there. Most of my family there like coffee more than tea itself I might add ;) There's also many different dialects rather then it being the only accent that is British. The other one I don't know.

I want to ask to any BBC Sherlock fan out there who lives in London or close if they've ever gone to Baker Street to look up the address 221B? :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 31, 2010 5:10 pm

So C.S. Lewis wrote of all these different food which were unfamiliar to me. Do y'all Brits still eat that way today?

P.S. Thanks Damsel for the answers!! :D

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Jillhope » Dec 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Here's one that I've always wondered:
What do British people think of American accents? do they sound whiny? or are they just as cool to Brits as British accents are to us?
Matthew 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air... ...your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"
Jillhope
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: A small planet somewhere near the location of Betelgeuse

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 31, 2010 6:21 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I want to ask to any BBC Sherlock fan out there who lives in London or close if they've ever gone to Baker Street to look up the address 221B? :)

I've never been there, but I hear that it's a Doyle museum.

I have one: My Dad says that in England, everyone has tea at a certain time, and they all stop what they're doing at that time just to have tea. Is that true or a myth?

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 31, 2010 7:50 pm

I am not a brit but i doubt they would do that,(some weird questions i have been asked online).

Is the mighty boosh really popular there?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Dec 31, 2010 8:35 pm

do yall make fun of American accents like we make fun of Brit accents?
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby outlier » Dec 31, 2010 11:26 pm

Hahaha, this is a funny thread :D

Do you say pavement versus sidewalk?
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jan 01, 2011 12:16 am

Why do the British make the best comedies?
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 01, 2011 1:59 am

IloveFauns wrote:I am not a brit but i doubt they would do that.

I doubt it, too. But people keep telling me it's true. So I need proof from a real Brit that it's false before I can tell these people they're incorrect, lol. ;))

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Shantih » Jan 01, 2011 4:34 am

*takes a deep breath* ;))

Do you sound like the people in the Narnia movies, or are there many very-different accents?

There's a huge variety of accents, the Pevensies (if that's who you're wondering about) have pretty posh accents, probably based on the accents of people in the better off part of London and the counties surrounding it. I've no idea if that's what Lewis had in mind though.

What is the RRP or whatever, the standard regional accent? (I can't remember what it's called, but they taught it to the non-brits for The Lord of the Rings.

I actually heard the accent they taught to the LOTR actors was a sort of 'stage' accent - neither American or British, but an in between of sorts so it wouldn't stand out. I could be wrong though :p I'd be hard pressed to say what the RRP here is, people in southern England would probably say one thing and then those from the north another. And that's without Scotland and Wales, too.

How very much do you like your tea? Do you drink coffee, hot chocolate, etc.?

Coffee and hot chocolate's popular, it depends person to person. Personally, I do live off tea. We have a saying in my house that we can't start doing anything until we've had a cup of tea first. It's true ;))

Okay, for something actually serious. How do most Brits view royalty, and I just mean royalty in general?

I'm hesitant to speak for all of Britain on this one, it changes place to place and person to person. I'd say people generally like the royalty, or more that they like the tradition surrounding them. I was saying to another mod recently that in my family we're not so hot on the Royals, which I suspect is because my family is from Southern Ireland so they take a dim view on most attempts by Britain to exert power. But I think most people are fairly fond of the monarchy.

I want to ask to any BBC Sherlock fan out there who lives in London or close if they've ever gone to Baker Street to look up the address 221B?

I've been to Baker Street a lot, but I'm afraid I've never tried to look up that address :p

So C.S. Lewis wrote of all these different food which were unfamiliar to me. Do y'all Brits still eat that way today?

Are there any in particular you were wondering about? (I have a terrible memory :p ). I remember being asked a lot around the release if we all get as excited as Lucy over sardines - no [-( Wartime and post-WW2 food was quite different from what we eat today which might be why some of the food in CoN seems strange.

What do British people think of American accents? do they sound whiny? or are they just as cool to Brits as British accents are to us?

I wouldn't say Brits dislike the American accent, but we don't get half as excited over it as you do over ours ;))

I have one: My Dad says that in England, everyone has tea at a certain time, and they all stop what they're doing at that time just to have tea. Is that true or a myth?

Sort of. He was probably thinking of afternoon tea (around 4-ish), which is when people would sit down and have tea and food like tea cakes and scones. It could well still be popular with the upper classes as they're very fond of tradition, but regular people don't do it. Well, we sit down and have tea, but that's at any old time :p

Is the mighty boosh really popular there?

Pretty popular, a lot more so a few years ago. Noel Fielding is still doing a lot of other work though (I met him last year, I think the Boosh were doing a tour) and the show gets repeated a lot.

do yall make fun of American accents like we make fun of Brit accents?

You make fun of us? :(( ;)) Not on a regular basis, no. Sometimes you come across a barmy tourist and can't help but giggle, but that's about it.

Do you say pavement versus sidewalk?

Pavement.

Why do the British make the best comedies?

We're gloriously self-depreciating, which it turns out is hilarious.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Shantih
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jan 01, 2011 4:56 am

Good work Shantih!

Yes, British comedy is especially self-depreciating. We Aussies learnt that sort of thing from you guys. Unforunately not much Aussie comedy is any good.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Lady Lilliandil » Jan 01, 2011 8:59 am

Ok these are my questions! -

To each other does it sound like you have accents?

What does beef with mash and new potatoes mean? Is it like mashed potatoes?

Thanks for being so nice to us by answering our questions! ;;)
Avie by:MissAdventure
siggy by:LucyP0104
Caspian + Lilliandil
"Love NEVER fails"
Lady Lilliandil
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 01, 2011 9:17 am

Wow, thanks so much Shantih! If you don't mind, I've got a few more! (BTW, about the food I mean like pigeon pie and such. And what are ices? Sherbet?).

What are some things that American's say that tip you off to the fact they're American? (like someone told me that saying "he sure is" or "she sure did" and such is SO American!)

Has an American ever pretended to be British but you knew they weren't?

What do you all think about movies with British accents? Do they sound different enough from you that you notice (like when I watch Sergeant York I can tell they're American but have a different accent), or do you not really notice it?

And lastly (for now! :D ): Is it true that us Americans think we can do the British accent, and you Brits are rolling your eyes at us because it sounds so fake?

Ok, I have to ask one more thing that just popped into my mind: Can Brits do an American accent?

Lu :D
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Jillhope » Jan 01, 2011 10:02 am

You already all know that I'm not British because I've already posted a question on this forum, but I believe I can answer the "What are ices?" question.
Ices are traditionally served between meals as a sort of pallet cleanser, of course I don't think people really use them much anymore... maybe in really high class society or an extremely gourmet restaurant.
I do hope I got that correct.
Matthew 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air... ...your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"
Jillhope
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: A small planet somewhere near the location of Betelgeuse

Next