This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Cultural Curiosities: Life in Other Countries

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cultural Curiosities: Life in Other Countries

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 05, 2015 4:39 am

Gymfan15 wrote:Anything else?

Anything interesting, socially? Like, gender norms, interesting social customs, etc.?

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 06, 2015 7:11 pm

ILF wrote:Yes, it is ketchup(I think I confused someone by saying tomato sauce whilst in America). Though for nacho's I am referring to something similar to a pasta sauce I guess, with onion and spices in it.

"Tomato sauce" here usually makes me think of the variety in cans one purchases as an ingredient to add to stews or sauces, not necessarily as something to be eaten straight. It's a more fluid version of tomato paste. Are you talking about salsa? If so I give a hearty thumbs up! :-bd Chips and salsa is the best snack food on Earth, bar none. B-) I prefer it not too chunky and rather spicy. You could be talking about spaghetti sauce but tortilla chips and spaghetti sauce sounds rather...odd. :))

Gymmie wrote:People in Taiwan think cinnamon is really gross; as is anything super sweet. If you have a big sugar tooth, you will suffer in Taiwan because not even the cakes are rich.

Do they have candy there? Chocolate? And a land without chili???
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 07, 2015 6:01 am

Yeah similar to salsa, Yeah i rather finely diced tomatoes etc.

Oh it is Chinese new year celebrations. I just heard a load of fireworks.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gymfan15 » Feb 07, 2015 6:42 am

Shadowlander wrote:
ILF wrote:Yes, it is ketchup(I think I confused someone by saying tomato sauce whilst in America). Though for nacho's I am referring to something similar to a pasta sauce I guess, with onion and spices in it.

"Tomato sauce" here usually makes me think of the variety in cans one purchases as an ingredient to add to stews or sauces, not necessarily as something to be eaten straight. It's a more fluid version of tomato paste. Are you talking about salsa? If so I give a hearty thumbs up! :-bd Chips and salsa is the best snack food on Earth, bar none. B-) I prefer it not too chunky and rather spicy. You could be talking about spaghetti sauce but tortilla chips and spaghetti sauce sounds rather...odd. :))

Gymmie wrote:People in Taiwan think cinnamon is really gross; as is anything super sweet. If you have a big sugar tooth, you will suffer in Taiwan because not even the cakes are rich.

Do they have candy there? Chocolate? And a land without chili???

Oh yes, candy and chocolate is very big here; it just is different kinds. The chocolate is pretty standard; the candy is usually fruit flavored. They've just started getting into sour candy; it's not easy to find but it's becoming more popular. Reeses cups used to be impossible to buy but now you can get them at Costco so it's not so bad. They like M&M's, Skittles, etc.

Yeah, it's weird that they don't like chili because it would be so easy to make with ground pork and beans (beef is hard/expensive to get), but no, it's just pretty gross to them.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 07, 2015 8:03 am

we do sell reeses cups in Australia but you won't find them at coles/woolworthes(the big supermarkets). Sometimes at the discount shops, and at IGA's. I never bothered to try them.

I do love chili (in moderation), though I do love curries, though they have to be chicken/seafood/vegetable. I am disappointed when a curry is plain, such as it has not enough spice in it. Some of those curry powders.........

I came across a list on tumblr of things about Australia. One of them was "You think it's normal to have a Treasurer called Wayne" (I do think this is normal and they are referring to Wayne Swan). Americans/Britons what is wrong with the name Wayne? or is it just the person who wrote the list who thinks it is strange?

Another one You think "Woolloomooloo" is a perfectly reasonable name for a place" - Haha i don't think many of us think it is reasonable. I don't haha.

"You understand that "you" has a plural and that it's "youse"- eer I hate the use of that word......makes me cringe.

I can't link to the actual list since some of them are not appropriate for this forum.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Feb 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Did someone mention chocolate? ;;) :x

IlF, I'd encourage you to try Reese's PB Cups. If you like pb, you'll love these. Especially cold from the fridge, mmmm! We also have Reese's Pieces, which are like M&Ms, only with pb in the middle.

Chili is big here, as well, especially in these cold winter months. Love that stuff! So comfy and hearty.

I think it was Sir Aslanite (from Australia) who first introduced me to Tim Tams from Australia. Even though we don't have all the flavours here, I have found them in the International aisles of grocery stores. Yummy!

Some chocolatey items we have here in Canada that aren't as commonly found in the States are:
*Aero chocolate bars
*Maltesers
*Smarties (like M&Ms, but with a different taste: your Smarties are like our Rockets)
*Cadbury Flakes *coughramagutcough*
... among others

Those soft paper things that you wipe your hands on during a meal others call napkins, we call serviettes; we enjoy white (or malt) vinegar with our French Fries, which any server in the States think is so-o-o-o weird. ;))
johobbit

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Jo wrote:we enjoy white (or malt) vinegar with our French Fries, which any server in the States think is so-o-o-o weird.

Vinegar on fries is actually quite tasty :D. I have that combination when I eat fish n' chips, or if I'm having a barbecue sandwich. But always with malt vinegar. B-)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby ramagut » Feb 09, 2015 8:50 pm

Ever want to see a waitress give you a deer-in-the-headlights look? Ask them for serviettes! In the US anyways. ;))

Cadbury flakes yummmmmmmmm... :D
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 09, 2015 11:38 pm

@jo I am not a huge fan of peanut butter. I use to hate it as a kid, now I can eat it but will not go out of my way to do so.

I have always favoured mm's over smarties. Smarties just don't taste as nice, but cadbury flakes are the best.

Oh do you guys call them napkins. I remember watching a program and the upper classes in England called them napkins and the lower serviettes. I think Serviette sounds more posh than napkin. I just go to what ever comes into my head when I need one.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 8:31 pm

I am planning on going to Wales next summer. Is anyone from there or has been there who can recommend some places to visit?
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Plenty of medieval castles available to look at in Wales. Caernarvon (sp?) Castle is probably the most famous, but there are others as well such as Conwy, Cardiff and Pembroke Castles. Wales is known for choirs, eisteddfods, magnificent scenery such as at Snowdonia, and much else. Tintern Abbey is in Wales, and you might find more on Internet sites such as Trip Advisor. Wales would be a lovely place to visit but I've not had the chance to do so though I've been to UK about three times. It isn't a very big country, taking about two or three hours from Chester in the north to Bristol in the South.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Waggawerewolf27: Thank you! I will look all of that over. I hope you get to go one day as well :) Where in the UK have you been?
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantArcher » May 07, 2018 7:31 pm

It's been years, but Mount Snowdon made an impression on me. :) If you're going on your own, exercise caution as fog can come up quickly. There are some walks that don't go to the summit if you're not up for that.

Also, if you love books, consider a visit to Hay-on-Wye. I haven't been but it's considered Wales' National Book Town. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Valiant_Nymph wrote:Waggawerewolf27: Thank you! I will look all of that over. I hope you get to go one day as well :) Where in the UK have you been?

I married a Scotsman who seemed to be as lonesome for his native land as that Scottish soldier of the well-known song, so the first trip I was able to organise for him to go, a three week rushed one for me, was mainly to Scotland with a side trip to see as much as I could get away with of England as well, not counting London, itself, as I didn't like the idea of us driving there without a street directory. Much as I enjoyed the trip, being able for the first time to see places I'd only read about, the high point for me that time was the mean silent laughter I couldn't resist when Mr Scotland got lost in his own home town, because of changes in traffic signs, and when he didn't like Edinburgh weather. :-o I felt like kissing the tarmac when I returned home, myself.

The next two occasions also featured considerable time in Scotland, though we spent at least 10 days each time in England, staying in London, whilst taking bus trips from the terminal near Victoria station to various places like Bath, Stonehenge, Stratford on Avon, the original Canterbury, York, and Oxford and Cambridge. Also, we have been to Chester, to Hadrian's Wall, the Lakes District, Sherwood Forest and to Watership Down, not far away from a place called Silchester, where there are still Roman walls remaining from an old city called Calleva Atrebatum that was mentioned in some of Rosemary Sutcliffe's novels.

And as well, I actually dragged this Scotsman off to Paris and France a couple of times, which I wouldn't have missed for quids. :p
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 08, 2018 11:43 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:
Valiant_Nymph wrote:Waggawerewolf27: Thank you! I will look all of that over. I hope you get to go one day as well :) Where in the UK have you been?

I married a Scotsman who seemed to be as lonesome for his native land as that Scottish soldier of the well-known song, so the first trip I was able to organise for him to go, a three week rushed one for me, was mainly to Scotland with a side trip to see as much as I could get away with of England as well, not counting London, itself, as I didn't like the idea of us driving there without a street directory. Much as I enjoyed the trip, being able for the first time to see places I'd only read about, the high point for me that time was the mean silent laughter I couldn't resist when Mr Scotland got lost in his own home town, because of changes in traffic signs, and when he didn't like Edinburgh weather. :-o I felt like kissing the tarmac when I returned home, myself.

That is a hilarious story, waggawerewolf! I laughed out loud :p

I haven't been to Scotland. I hope I can visit some day. :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby JillPoleFriend » May 14, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm going to France this summer! It is my first time, and I'm hoping it lives up to expectations! Has anyone been there before? If so, tell me what you enjoyed about it and where you think I should visit :)
JillPoleFriend
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext