This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Misconceptions as Children

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Misconceptions as Children

Postby Weirdo » Nov 18, 2011 8:03 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Your name is Justin Beiber? :P

LOL. No, fortunately. Have YOU ever met a girl named Justin? Especially Justin BIEBER.... :P
Member of the Switchfoot Club! :D
NW siblings: wild rose, DeDe, The Jedi Clone, Melian Maia, Gathmandais, TheDwarfMan, and csjesi.
I'm a Northie! :D
Member of Loki's Army
Aegrenil, fifth Time Guardian.
Weirdo
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Catching Sherlock Holmes with a lasso as he falls, of course!

Postby stargazer » Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

When my brother and I were kids, we thought that if we put money in the bank, we would get the same money (the same coins or bills) when we withdrew it. We were a little disappointed when we didn't get our "Kennedy Head" half-dollars back.

Shadowlander wrote:I remember believing (mostly because my neighbors told me this) that if one ate watermelon seeds then a watermelon would eventually grow in one's belly.

An aunt told my brother this when he was about 6 years old, and he was quite worried when he accidentally swallowed a seed.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Gildor, "Disnep"? I'll look for that next time. ;))

I remember, there was this bank-toy thing at a retail store that had the option of "if you put in a penny, 20 bucks will come out!!" (which is a very poor saving technique for children, IMO. O.o ). Well, my sister and I thought that the toy came with money stocked in it, and all we had to do was put some pennies in to get a couple hundreds. It took a while for my parents to dissuade our beliefs and tell us that the toy was really empty. ;))

I guess Santa is always a misconception.... :P I think I believed in Santa until I was 8 or 9; my parents kept Santa alive through many inventive ways, lol
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm

I always saw the Disney logo as Disnep as well when I was young.

Before I knew what it was, I thought that bench presses were when you sat on a bench and pressed down with your upper body.

lol @Aitb...yes, Santa is a misconception as well and I never even thought of that one. xD Funny how the legend has developed to the point that it's sort of culturally unacceptable to talk about how it isn't real. :P
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 30, 2011 6:11 pm

MinotaurforAslan wrote:I always saw the Disney logo as Disnep as well when I was young.

I never saw Disnep. But I did used to think the D was actually a 2. I still have a hard time seeing it as a D. ;))

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby The Pendragon » Feb 10, 2012 9:22 am

I always thought that the "D" on the Disney sign was a "G", but I knew it was said like a D. But I could never figure out how that was possible until I realized that it was a D, and that if it WAS a G it was backwards! I'm not even kidding...I wasn't the most brilliant little child. :p

I also thought that the sign for GE was a really fancy "H". It's like an optical illusion! I can see it as a GE or an H now! :P

When I was little, I took everything very litteraly! And my mom would always say "Put your eyes on Jesus", and I always thought she meant that she wanted me to put my eyeballs on Jesus! I said "But why does Jesus want my eyes? I need my eyes!" =)) Or like when people would say "I pulled a few strings to make this work", I of course wondered what strings they pulled, and how a string could help them! :p
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Fire Fairy » Feb 10, 2012 10:00 am

The Pendragon wrote:I always thought that the "D" on the Disney sign was a "G", but I knew it was said like a D. But I could never figure out how that was possible until I realized that it was a D, and that if it WAS a G it was backwards! I'm not even kidding...I wasn't the most brilliant little child. :p

I thought the same thing, so don't worry, you're not the only one.

When I was little I thought you chose who got to be your kids' grandparents, so I thought it was really neat that my mom and dad both chose their parents to be my grandparents. :p
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior Of Narnia » Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am

I seem to recall believing that bubblegum would stay in your stomach for like, seven years, if you swallowed it. I was freaked out the first time I swallowed a piece. :P

Also, I was once told that if you turned off the water in the shower, and turned it back on, it would burn you. :P :P Took me a while, and some experimentation to figure out that wasn't true :P
"We are Spartans... impossible is what we do."

NW Family:
Daughter - Elanor
Sisters - LON (RL), Chloe, Rosie
Aunt - Violetfirecrazed
Niece - georgiefan1
Warrior Of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » May 16, 2012 5:53 pm

When I was very little, I used to think evolutionists disbelieved in the existence of reptiles. I had heard they believed that reptiles evolved into birds; and I thought they meant that all the reptiles evolved into birds, so that there were none left today. ;))

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby TheGentleWarrior » May 16, 2012 8:40 pm

When I was younger, around the age of about 4-5 or so, I had the brilliant idea that sand would taste exactly like brown sugar. Not your normal beach sand mind you, but the brown sparkly sand in my backyard sandbox.

My dad told me quite firmly not to do it as it was a bad idea but knowing how right I was I pinched a bit up in my hand one day while he had his back turned and tested it............. turns out I was wrong. :ymblushing: :p :ymsick:

I kinda avoided the sandbox for awhile after that out of embarrasment. ;))
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Haleth » Nov 27, 2012 7:27 pm

I used to think that ATMs were where you got free money. You only had to go there and pick it up. If only . . .
I also read the signs next to elevators that say "IN CASE OF FIRE, USE STAIRS," and I didn't know it meant 'use the stairs if the building is on fire.' I thought it meant if I used the elevator, the building would catch on fire. I was a little nervous about getting on elevators.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Life is easy and once you get to High School people get smarter
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm

:)) AJ. Yeah. I think the whole concept of life being easier as you grow up was one. Personally, I do not recall myself particularly desiring to hurry up life so that I could be grown up already, but I do question my (and many younger children's) belief that when you are older, life becomes easier or that everyone is automatically smarter and mature. ;))
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Nov 28, 2012 1:34 am

I said these in the old thread under my other name I guess, but here. :P

I thought Olympics and Gymnastics were two words for the same thing, you could use either.

I thought that lions were male and tigers were female.
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby King_Erlian » Nov 29, 2012 2:26 am

In the last verse of "In The Bleak Midwinter" the words are:
What can I give him, poor as I am,
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb,
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part,
Yet what I can, I give him, give my heart.

It was only a few years ago that I realised that "Wise Man" in this context specifically referred to the Magi or Three Kings. As a child, I thought the writer was getting me to sing, "If I were clever, I would do my part, but I'm not clever, I'm stupid". I felt really offended by that.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Previous