This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camping- it's in tents!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camping- it's in tents!

Postby stargazer » Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Let us know how that new repellent works, Puddleglum!

Despite snow flurries in the forecast, summer is definitely on its way. Mosquitoes have been unwelcome guests at some of our spring fires so camping season can't be too far away.

One of my camping groups has Memorial Day weekend reservations at Itasca State Park, where the Mississippi River begins. It's one of the first places I camped at and have some fond memories of crossing the headwaters with our little dog and seeing some awesome starlit skies there (not to mention a story about helping someone in the next campsite scare away an unruly raccoon during mealtime ;)) ).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » May 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Will let you know about the repellent stargazer. The primary ingredient is eucalyptus . I am itching, ( figuratively speaking ) to try the old smoking sage method as well.
The Mrs., and I were up at Itasca last year. Yep, I walked across the Mississippi. Hope the weather is agreeable for you. But pack for clad, justt in case.
The day trip I made today was in preparation for the Rendezvous season. Unfortunately it proved a washout with only a handful showing. The rain seems to have set the mood as news has spread that a couple of encampments might be coming to an end. Sadly there are many grey hairs in the camps, but few younger folks. Fewer still who want to take over running the show. I guests it's a part of the tomes, with more people looking at screens than looking at God's creation around them.
But I will keep going as long as I can find a place to go. Besides, I've spent too much on all the gear to let it sit and get dusty.
Sorry. Dragging on a bit there.
I hope to make it to the Milacs History Festival near Isle Mn. In June this year. I usually visit for the day, but the schedule permits actual camping.
Clearwater Heritage Days in early August is up in the air due to local politics. Meaning no offence to the talking beasts in the Spar Odom, but squirrels have more sense than some in public service.
Wapato near Elk River is the big one. That's in September. That one I go to just for fun. Very little trading, mostly just to lay back, and shoot, throw hawks, or just visit.
Anyone is welcome, and there is usually room by the fire.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jun 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Our Memorial Day visit to Itasca was pleasant, overall. The weather varied between clear, partly cloudy, and occasional rain all weekend. Saturday night we enjoyed a fire along with views of the ISS and Tiangong 2 Chinese space stations. Sunday had some heavy rains, one of which we weathered in the Headwaters Visitor Center.

Fortunately the mosquitoes were minimal this time, hardly even an issue except for some at the Headwaters area. No wood ticks at all were detected, which is rather unusual for this location and time of year.

Alas, the camping equipment did have to be dried out upon our return Monday.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Ahh yes. The after camp dry out. I have been there many a time stargazer.
I am glad to hear your trip went so well otherwise. A little note about ticks. Did you hear about the Lone Star tick? Apparently It has moved north, and Is causing trouble with meat allergy symptoms. It can be recognized by the white " star " on it's back. It also can pass the disease on in a very short time.
My own plans include an encampment near Isle, just south of Lake Mill lacks on June 24th. I usually day trip this one, so I am looking forward to it.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fledge1 » Jun 27, 2017 7:18 am

Growing up in North Dakota, camping was a huge part of life. I can say this, (and I have camped all over the country, and even some outside the country) the badlands are one of the most beautiful places to camp. Basically anything west of Mandan/Bismarck ND is incredible. Backpacking is one of the best. And tent camping is the way to go...my parents now have a motor home, and as fun as it is, still not same effect. I live in Kansas now and we still camp just not like we use to. Going out on horse back and camping where ever you wanted to stop was awesome!

Anyone know of any good spots in Kansas? Other then the normal campgrounds that are always over crowded and dirty?
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Jun 28, 2017 9:22 pm

I've camped in the South Dakota Badlands, fledge1, but not those in your state. The stargazing was quite impressive but (alas) so was the heat. ;))
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Jun 29, 2017 5:17 am

fledge1 wrote:Anyone know of any good spots in Kansas? Other then the normal campgrounds that are always over crowded and dirty?

Uhhhh.... ;)) I suspect most of my suggestions fall into your definition of dirty and over-crowded, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

My family's staple has always been Lake Kanopolis. As with every single one of my suggestions, if you hit it on an off-week(end) there's hardly anybody there, and I love the hiking trails.

Most recently, I've camped at little Lake Afton a time or two, but I know one of those weekends we managed to hit it when there was a wedding reception on the other side of the lake. They had a good DJ.... :)) But it was not quiet and peaceful. ;) I suspect if we were there on an off-weekend it wouldn't be so bad.

My favorite growing up was Harvey County West Park, but it has been YEARS since I've been there and I have no idea what it's like now.

The website I'm going to recommend is TravelKS.com. I'm subscribed to their magazine and they have fantastic suggestions all the time. Of course I don't remember any of them, but I'm sure you could find what you're looking for there. :) Let me know if you find something awesome! My youngest is too little to go camping, but maybe in a year or two we'll be ready to take them tent camping again.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fledge1 » Jun 29, 2017 5:48 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:[quote="fledge1"

Uhhhh.... ;)) I suspect most of my suggestions fall into your definition of dirty and over-crowded, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

My family's staple has always been Lake Kanopolis. As with every single one of my suggestions, if you hit it on an off-week(end) there's hardly anybody there, and I love the hiking trails.

I will check these out. We are close to Olathe KS so I will have to see how far....when I mean crowded, i mean every site taken and you can even walk peacefully. I like when other campers are there, great fire conversations, just not when it is like a theme park crowded. If that makes sense.
We were finally able to go as a family last year. Always had one to little or something came up. It was great doing it again. Thanks for the suggestions.

And yes the badlands can be hot....need to go at the right time haha!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Hope your little one enjoys camping as much as you obviously do fantasia_kitty.
I must admit my camping experience more west than Minnesota is limited. The farthest was at the KOA on the west side of Pike's Peak in Colorado. It's supposed to be the highest in the continental U. S. I cannot say I was too impressed, but the folks were friendly, and even the coyotes said hello during the middle of the night.
I was able to get out to a historical re-enactment this past weekend near Isle Minn. I was told it is usually very hot, and humid, with many mosquitos. It turned out to be one of the coldest, with temps around 45f for a low. It was also quite wet, with almost constant rain Sunday morning until noon.
A couple big pluses were the attendance, and the presence of one of the younger siblings. His first time at one of these, and hopefully not his last.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Getting geared up for the next encampment. This one will by for Clearwater Heritage Days. Typically it is a good turnout, with plenty of public showing up. The "regulars" will be there, Blacksmith, Traders, Flint knapping, etch. We hope to have someone demonstrate tanning this year as well.
Usually the weather is very forgiving, though a quick take down has happened when storm clouds threatened one year.
I will be calling a local buffalo farm to see if they can spare some chips, ( dried buffalo poop ). If I can get a couple buckets the intent is to show how some people traveling back in the mid-1800s used them for their fires to cook. If we have enough interest we might even have a chip-chucking-contest :D
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 21, 2017 11:27 am

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you, Puddleglum, rather than the heavy rains and winds we're having this weekend.

My next trip is our annual camping trip with friends to Baker Park Reserve, just west of the Twin Cities, next weekend. Hopefully we won't bake or get washed away. ;))
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 22, 2017 6:30 pm

So far the forecasts bode well stargazer. But then, how often have we seen extended predictions come true when it comes to such things :-\
Are you tenting, or RV?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 28, 2017 8:58 am

We use tents. The weather looks great (maybe just a little too warm and humid, but no rain) for this weekend, so the only obstacle will be those voracious mosquitoes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 11, 2017 7:39 pm

All went well at the encampment. We had a relatively good turnout of townsfolk. Most questions were well thought out, and even had some good trades going. The Blacksmith was the center of attention for the children of course. But the Cordwainer, ( shoemaker ) was kept busy with questions as well. I was able to add a few more feet to the milkweed cord I am working on for a future shoulder strap for my canteen.
The food is almost always in ample supply with a few self appointed camp cooks doing their utmost to keep everyone stuffed.One lady by the camp name of Burnt Cookie ( due not to her lack of cooking ability, but to her tendency to burn in the sun ) made a chicken noodle soup that still makes me feel full :ymhug:
Toward the end of the encampment a mother, and daughter showed up with some Dog bane. I must admit to never using it for cordage before. A word of warning to those interested in making cordage ( string ) from natural fibers, ALWAYS do your home work :-s Dog bane is toxic when green, but is safe to touch when dead, and dry. Burning nettles will also be safe when dead, and dry. That said. I must admit to liking the fibers that I was able to work off the stem. I understand it is one of the stronger plant fibers, and was even used for bowstring.
For the most part it was a very good weekend. Not counting the little flying bloodsuckers, and some chiggers which still itch. But, can we call it camping with out without something trying to draw blood?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Sadly my historical encampment season has been cut short this year. My knee decided to act up, and prevents the needed physical activity to set up, and take down a camp. Such is the luck of a Marsh-Wiggle.
But I am determined to visit the Wapati encampment for the day at least in a week, and a half. There are just to many good folks there to miss out completely.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I sympathize with the knee pains, Puddleglum, and hope you're up to visiting the next encampment.

Our Labor Day trip was to Glendalough State Park, in the lake country of central- northwest Minnesota. The weekend actually was almost too hot and humid for hiking, but cool enough in the evenings to enjoy the campfire. The sky was hazy from wildfire smoke, giving vibrant red sunsets and hiding all but a few bright stars (and the moon) each night.

Now it's time to begin planning those fall color leaf tours. :)
stargazer

PreviousNext