This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camping- it's in tents!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camping

Postby stargazer » Jun 03, 2016 5:31 pm

I confess that I'm glad we camped last weekend rather than this one. There is a steady rain this evening that is great for making things green but would certainly limit the enjoyment of tent camping.

Last weekend was a mixed bag of weather, but it never rained much in our location. Sunday afternoon alternated between clear skies and light rain but we still enjoyed a fire. It was clear by evening, allowing lakeshore stargazing by the fire. Monday was clear and almost too hot. Some mosquitoes attended the festivities but they weren't too bothersome... that will change soon I suspect.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Re: Camping

Postby Shadowlander » Jun 13, 2016 7:52 am

It's not "real camping", per se, but my wife and I have been thinking of visiting the local park to rent a cabin for the weekend. The cabin has most of your regular amenities and I suspect is about as close to camping as I'm going to get until Sarah gets a wee bit older ;)). Personally I just look forward to sitting in front of a campfire again.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Re: Camping- it's in tents!

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 07, 2016 10:11 pm

Will be breaking in my "new" awning for rendezvous this Saturday at the "Hairy Mosquito" Knapp Inn south of Lake Millacs. Looking forward to seeing some of the best Flint Knappers in the country.
I hope to do some trading, maybe even get one to make an arrowhead for me out of some Arkansas Quartz I picked up when The Mrs. and I were down there last.
This will be a good tst of the new ridge pole, etc I was able to make out of Tamarack. The two by two's that came with the awning were just manufactured looking for my taste.
One possible drawback. The "Hairy Mosquito" might just live up to it's name without any sort of wind to keep the little beggers at bay. But with wind comes the trouble it causes with awnings. Which may be a good test of it. No matter what happens, barring a blizzard, I hope to come out no worse for wear.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Camper cabins are fun, Shadowlander. Some friends of mine use them almost exclusively. They are especially handy for those with small children. You get the outdoor experience - and the campfire - with a few more conveniences than a tent.

We camped this past weekend at a park just west of the Twin Cities. This is our annual trip with a number of friends, including Ryadian's family. The weather Friday and Saturday was pleasant for July, if a bit humid, and we enjoyed some campfires and stargazing sessions.

By Saturday evening those with smartphones were showing some spectacular weather radar images to the west, with significant storms possible overnight. By midnight the sky was overcast and there was that 'something' in the air that tells you storms are coming. By 3 am there was heavy rain and spectacular lightning (which I watched from my car since I'd put my tent away earlier rather than having to pack in the rain). The rain ended by the time we got up but it was extremely humid.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Getting geared up for the Clearwater Heritage Days in a couple weeks. The poles for the awning worked fairly well for the day trip to "The Hairy Mosquito". I might need to adjust a little on the ropes.
There is a campground nearby that have the cabins, and I must admit they sound a little appealing. At the very least not having to lay out a tent to dry when I get home.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Outside of summer camps I've been counseloring (made up words are fun), I haven't been able to do much!

My one camping related joy has been changing the subject of this thread I started back in middle school! =))
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wild rose » Jul 27, 2016 12:58 pm

I've camped a lot in my day :) recent years it's all been historical camping (like sleeping on straw in historical tents and cooking in iron and clay dishes over an open fire ;)) )

This year I have a chance to attended a camping trip with children for special needs. It's modern day camping, lol, which I'm not exactly used too anymore, but I think I'll easily remember. It's hard to realize I can take 'modern conveniences' with me and not hide them to keep the other reenactors from giving you that look of 'what is that doing in a 13th century campsite?' :p (Yes, reenactors can be very judgemental when it comes to anything non historical at festivals, some people will even pick on you if your costume isn't hand stitched)

The only thing that I don't enjoy about camping is when it rains, lol. I've had one to many of those in my life. I even put up with cold nights better than rain. (Which is why on my last camping trip I slept in the car ;)) )
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 04, 2016 7:28 pm

Almost all packed for the encampment for Clearwater Heritage Days this weekend. Just need to pack the cooler in the afternoon before leaving.
There are a few new tents this year, and one TeePee. (For those who don't know a TeePee is one of those mobil home versions of a Wig-Wam.) The flint knapper bought it brand new this year, and is already enjoying it with his offspring.
All weather reports are looking good for now, but I am bringing my poncho just in case. Also bringing sunscreen. It would be about my luck, no rain, but I would get sunburn.
One of the things i hope to accomplish is while demonstrating is to make more milkweed cordage so I can braid it for a shoulder strap for my canteen.
Let everyone know how it all fares when I get back. That is unless the river suddenly rises overnight, and I am forced to swim home. It might take a little longer then.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Back from the great outdoors. All went well, but for the expected blood donation of course.
Weather was better than we could have hoped for with temps mild, and a slight breeze to keep the mosquitos at bay for most of the day. A little dew in the mornings made for soggy moccasans which needed to be hung out in the sun to dry.
The public turnout was not as great as other years, but still fair, with many questions asked. My friend had his tent next to mine, and was demonstrating muzzle loading, ( no full loads of course ) and as you may guess he had a crowd of youngsters waiting for him to fire the pistol with a warning yell " Fire in the hole!"
One younger couple with a baby set up there tent, but did not spend the night due to the mosquitos.
One other popular demonstration was the corn flour grinding. It is still amusing to think how much a child would consider it a chore to grind corn at home for dinner. But bring them to a rendezvous, and tell them they have to take turns cranking a grinder and they can't get in line enough times.
There was another pleasant suprise Sunday morning. When I awake to see a line of little ants marching up, and down one of my awning poles. I wondered what could be attracting them. Looking further I found a husk of a Ciccada. Looking along the edge of the tarp I found the little fellow ( I think it was a fellow, though I must admit did not ask ). The wings were still stretching, and gaining color, so I took some photos, and left him to rest. Later, when it was time to pack up I found he had already taken his leave so i did not need to shoo him away.
So, over all. Barring the itch I shall endure for the next day or so, it was a good weekend, and am glad to have taken part.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Contemplating an informan rendezvous this weekend. No dress up, just bumming with some like minded folks, and trading ideas, etc. The only downer would be the rain that is constantly threatening this summer, as well as the hoard of flying bloodsuckers that seem to be everywhere.
Thinking of just making it a day trip, and save my tent for the big rendezvous in Wapati in three weeks.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 01, 2016 4:11 pm

Sounds like fun, Puddleglum! Let us know how it goes.

I'll be camping with friends over the long Labor Day weekend. For the first time in over 20 years, I'll pitch my tent at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park in southeast Minnesota. The park has heavy deciduous cover, one of Minnesota's longest caves (with a constant temperature of 48F/9C - perfect!), and a 'living history' recreation of the 1800s town of Forestville. Plenty to do, even with the rain that is threatening all weekend. Here's hoping for at least one clear night to see some stars!
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am

Forgot to mention a that last Thursday night we ended up camping out in the backyard. But due to multiple circumstances (restless baby, dog that got locked outside with us, noisy airplanes), I just could NOT get to sleep and after waking up for the millionth time before midnight, I gave up and headed inside. :P But I plan to try it again soon with the weather cooling off. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2016 8:29 pm

It's very convenient having a home nearby under those conditions, for sure.

I camped with friends this past weekend, as noted above. Our weather is more like June than September. Saturday and Sunday were fairly pleasant, though hot for hiking, and we enjoyed fires and stargazing. By Sunday evening we saw distant lightning along with the stars, and heavy rain was possible. It didn't arrive until about 5.30 am Monday morning, but came in with a roar when it did.

I took advantage of a break in the rain to put my sleeping gear away, but torrential rain hit right after I'd removed the rainfly from my tent. ;)) Lots of things got really wet. It was so humid later in the day that setting things up to dry them out was of limited use.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 11, 2016 7:33 pm

I can sympathize with the restless baby fantasia_kitty. When the offspring was still in the diaper stage we attempted a campout with friends. Needless to say, it did not end well. Think sleeping bag beyond dry cleaning, just trashing. :|
Same with rain stargazer. Hope all got dried out eventually. Think of it as something to look back on, and boast of surviving :ymapplause: We had a memorable storm come through when we were up at Two Harbors years back. We just rolled everything up into a ball, and through it into the car. Drove home all that night, and just let it sit in the car until afternoon the next day.
On the weather. The "experts" are predicting rain this Thursday. Guess when my last encampment of the year starts. I will be at the Nowthen Threshing show grounds, with the Wapati Historical Encampment. hope we get good weather at least for Friday. That's when the school kids will be there.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Made it back on Sunday. I still have a few items to unload from the van, but for the most part I only have to dry out the tent.
To say it started out wet would be an understatement. Thursday it rained before set up, but slacked off long enough to roll outstake, and lift the poles. I was no sooner done when it started all over. Fortunatly the sleeping bag did not get drenched #:-s
I did make a drastic error in not switching footwear before the rain started again. Instead of the rubber boots ( yes, as a matter of fact I do have wide "flipper feet" which are hard to find proper boots for ) I wore my sneakers unpacking. Totally soaked I thought nothing of just tossing the stockings, and shoes aside when going to bed. I awoke Friday wondering what had died in my tent :-s :-o :-\
The only blessing in the rain was the outstanding double rainbow which
graced our vision before the sun set completely.
School day on Friday was a little damp starting, but fortunatly dried out as the morning progressed. Attendance was down only slightly, but there were many new faces. Among them were two German mothers with their sons who have visited for the day last year, and had decided to make a weekend of it this year. Renting an "era" tent, and dressing the part they used every opportunity to learn how life was lived in the 1800's. One young son even went so far as to try his hand at trading learning tips from one of the several traders we have. he was a regular little capitalist by Sunday, getting the best deals he could for everything from a piece of tanned hide to how much he could get for doing little chores for someone's camp.
I also traded a little myself. The master bow maker among us swapped for another longbow with a little stronger draw. My first time out on the challenge course was not too humiliating.
For my annual "tree rat meal' I have every year I decided to have squirrel stew. I must admit to some pride in all the compliments I received, along with requests to bring some more of the same next year.
Saturday night was ended with a toughing tribute to one of our members who died this year to cancer. A paper candle balloon was released in his honor. I missed the lighting, but saw it rise into the twilight. very moving.
With the end of my rendezvous season I will be focusing on getting out of doors to restock the larder for next year.
For those still set for going out. Enjoy God's creation. Stay dry. Especially your feet ;)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Getting back into gear for the upcoming camping season. I already have some historical rendezvous planned, and hope to get some "regular" camping done as well. One trip with a sibling is a must. The Mrs. and I were already out trying the fire pit, we are glad to report it works fine. Sadly the mosquitoes found us, and the evening was abruptly done. I did recently find some bug repellent without Deet in it, and I am curious how well It works.
Anyone else have plans for getting out this summer?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext