This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby stargazer » Oct 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Rya, I'll echo daughter of the King's comments about Heroes Reborn. Watching the first season or two of the original would be helpful, as it introduces you to many main characters, the storytelling methods used, and the background world. The Dark Matters webisodes are a good bridge between the two series.

I'm a bit annoyed at the new series' treatment of Molly Walker. In the original she's a vulnerable little kid with a power others want, and that makes her something of a sympathetic character. Now she's older, of course, but written in a manner that makes me a lot less interested in what happens to her.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Though definitely not for anyone under 16 years of age, I have been re-watching the tv series The Borgia's.

The second last episode of season 2, Cesare murders his own brother Juan but after years of Juan ruining his own life. Also, Juan got most of his fathers affection and titles ect where as the older son Cesare was left for a life in the church. I seemed to dislike Juan a lot over the two series he was in. Also, the fathers love for his son is so blind. He can't see why anyone would murder his son Juan when Juan himself is a murder and has a lot of enemies. What are your thoughts?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Jan 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Today my family is going to catch up on tv shows we missed this week. We're watching Agent Carter, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow. I'm pretty excited!
My biggest disappointment in life is that I am the only one in my family who didn't see a Narnia movie in the theater. Even though I love it the most and they will all admit that. But at least I share a birthday with C.S. Lewis.
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Will anyone else be watching Hallmark this Sunday to see the return of When Calls The Heart? There are so many story lines in season 3: Jack and Elizabeth, Lee and Rosemary, Abigail and Bill or Pastor Frank, Pastor Frank's past, what Gowan is going to mess with next.... So much to look forward to. :D

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 08, 2016 7:19 pm

WOW...WCTH season three went so fast! Just one more episode this Sunday. This week my sisters and I have been driving our brother crazy with all of our conversations about When Calls The Heart. After watching the preview for Prayers From The Heart hard not to talk about it and wonder how the season finale will play out. Plus I made a big mistake this week, I've been reading Brian Bird's tweets (BB is one of executive producer). :-s /:)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 17, 2016 9:56 pm

When Calls The Heart season 3 is over, and it was a terrific one. Season 3 was way better than season 2. And good news for Hearties everywhere Hallmark renewed When Calls The Heart for a 4th season immediately. :ymparty: :x B-)

The arrival of Jack's mom (played by Brooke Shields) in the second to last episode of season 3 was neat. I liked that she was in Hope Valley when Jack was injured and also there for Rosemary's wedding.

The season finale was packed from start to finish, I really wish it had been spread over two episodes. I loved how everyone worked together throughout the episode. And the scenes with Jack and Elizabeth were =(( and then :x .

Season 3 is definitely my favorite of the three seasons. I actually like that it was Rosemary and Lee that got married this season and not Jack and Elizabeth. Some of the fans don't seem to realize that even though we have to wait 8-9 months for the next season, seasons 2 and 3 picked up right where the previous season left off and so therefore Jack and Elizabeth haven't actually known each other for 2+ years. I do want to see Jack propose to Elizabeth early in season 4, but I also want see a medium/long engagement (maybe the wedding at the start of season 5, yes I am looking ahead ;;) ). Jack does have to build a house on that land he bought.

My sisters and I are crazy about this show. :D But hey, we are crazy together. And we are having a blast speculating about season 4. :-? ;)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Jun 03, 2016 9:45 am

I was having a conversation with some of my mods yesterday about the 'VeggieTales' Netflix spin off series 'VeggieTales in the House.' I had watched some snippets in passing and decided I didn't like it based on how whiny some of the characters were, but then I decided I shouldn't judge based off of a few seconds of walking in on something. :P So I watched the first episode.

If I had not had any kind of preconceived idea on what to expect, I probably would have liked it. It was a couple goofy short stories with some nice morals and a verse. But having been a huge fan of the original Big Idea VeggieTales back in the day, I just felt it lacked the heart and soul and was a little too frantic for me. Of course, too be fair, I wasn't drawn in by the later BI VT either. :P ;)) I lost interest after Esther.

Glad I watched it. I probably won't watch any more unless my kids want to. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SummerSnow » Jun 04, 2016 2:49 pm

SnowAngel, I'm glad to hear that the third season of When Calls the Heart is better than the second. I loved the first and I couldn't bring myself to watch more than a couple episodes of the second. I might try it again so that I can watch the third when it comes out. That's neat that there's going to be a fourth season! Of course, I'll need to watch the second and third season, but hopefully the fourth will be enjoyable. Do you know if the fourth season will come out in the fall or the spring?
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Ooops, didn't realize I hadn't replied to you, SummerSnow, I am so sorry. The fourth season of WCTH is starting a Christmas special that will air on Christmas day. I think the rest of the fourth season will air in January or February. I have high hopes for the fourth season, however I wish it was picking up where season three left in the spring time rather than jumping to Christmas.

SummerSnow, I think you could skip to season three. Charles is not in season three at all, but you will miss some good scenes with Rosemary and Lee that are in season two. I love Rosemary and Lee, Lee has some really good lines in season two. They are the highlight of the second season.

Anyone else interested in/watched the newest Hallmark series, Chesapeake Shores? I haven't watch any of it yet. My sisters and I decided to wait to watch it until the week before the last episode of the season airs and that way we can binge watch the whole season. :D It looks interesting, I have been keeping up with the previews for the new episode as they are released.

The show my sisters and I have been watching a lot of this summer is The Man From U.N.C.L.E. We currently have 25 episodes left in the series. Totally loving it. If you have seen the new movie, the show is even better. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SummerSnow » Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm

SnowAngel, I think I might try giving the second season another change when I have a bit more free time. You'll have to let me know how the fourth season turns out.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E is a fantastic television series. When I was younger, I used to watch it with my mom and my sisters. It was a great show! After watching the movie (as different as they are), I've really been wanting to see the TV series again, especially for Illya.
I'm not sure if this has to be in spoilers, but I'm really sad that Gaby isn't in the original series. I'm not sure if it would have worked out that well, but I would still love to have seen her in the context of the original characters.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Here I am. And with an admission....I have become addicted to Korean/Taiwanese dramas. I'm still trying to figure out how this happened, but at some point, through mysterious circumstances beyond my ability to articulate, I ended up watching one and enjoying it enough to go into another. And another. And another. And though I may have to turn in my proverbial "man card" for doing so, I must admit that it's some of the best TV I have watched. The stories sometimes tend to be a bit formulaic, but the actors and actresses are all delightful, the plots very interesting, and the drama and intrigue compelling enough for me to keep on watching these, probably until the cows come home.

All the ones I have thus far seen have been on Netflix, and unlike the TV shows one can watch here or in other countries, these air for only one season. In this way the characters in the show maintain a warm reception each week without overstaying their welcome. The shows, while being primarily marketed as romances, tend to have a number of different subplots that undergird them (mainly business-related intrigue). They are remarkably chaste...I mean generally if there's even a hint that some sort of shenanigans have been suggested to have happened, the characters respond in intensely modest ways (covering their faces, averting their eyes, acting embarrassed, etc.), and it makes them much, much more endearing and emphasizes the romance over the physical. I cannot stress enough how this strengthens the romance subplots as it adds an undeniable sense of innocent longing into the mix. Typically they also have a lot of humor involved (generally centered around misunderstandings) which also adds another human element to an already highly enjoyable mix.

Recommendations here would be to start off with light fare....

Noble, My Love is the one that drew me in. It was apparently a web series, and the episodes clock in at 15 minutes apiece. If within the first episode or two the characters have not completely endeared themselves to you, then there's no reason to continue. Beating Again and Children of the Sun are also incredible shows, the latter will appeal to those of military dramas. I just finished When I See You Again last night and I'm already looking for another series to start. And I haven't even gotten to the incredible scenery one sees in these shows, with clean cities and the loveliest landscapes. I physically want to go to South Korea now. Like yesterday. I might just stay. ;))

Give it a go folks....I would not steer you wrong!
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 15, 2016 2:13 pm

You guys are making me curious about The Man from U.N.C.L.E., SA and Summer! My mom says she remembers it from when she was young.

Annyeong haseyo, SL! ;)) I've watched Korean dramas, although I've managed to avoid addiction and only watch them occasionally. They're a nice diversion, especially compared to a lot of Western television! I do really like that they almost always run one season as a rule... you know how much time you stand to lose going into it and then you're "set free" at the end. I'm stingy with how much time I give to television and it bugs me how you basically have to sell your soul to American shows because they keep coming back season after season. /:)

Korean drama is definitely an interesting glimpse into a unique culture (especially if you're intrigued by Asian cultures, as I am) and I've picked up a little bit of Korean along the way, so there's some educational value as well. You'll also encounter a lot of Korean music by watching k-dramas, and you'd better hope that you like it because songs repeat quite often throughout the course of a show. :P I also appreciate the innocence in most of the romance story lines; it's refreshing and more old-fashioned.

Out of the dramas I've seen in the past few years, I think the one I liked the best was The Master's Sun; the episodic style of the episodes was interesting and I thought the main couple was endearing. It's a horror-romantic comedy about a woman who sees ghosts and the wealthy man who ends up hiring her after realizing that her gift can be helpful in the business world. I didn't think it was that scary, but it's not like there's a Scoville scale for that sort of thing. :P It's good for Halloween, anyway.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Rose wrote:You'll also encounter a lot of Korean music by watching k-dramas, and you'd better hope that you like it because songs repeat quite often throughout the course of a show.

Said music is definitely....unique ;)). When it starts in I generally start beatboxing with it, which provides me with much hilarity (and strange looks from the wife). They don't subtitle the lyrics, so for all I know they could be singing about toilet paper or pocket lint, but this doesn't stop me from beatboxing it out. ;))

With the notable exception of Descendants of the Sun, they all seem to follow a specific formula too. The hero is usually going to be a good looking rich guy, often a businessman of some type. The heroine (invariably the romantic interest) is typically going to be a poor or lower income worker but with spunk and indomitable spirit, and it is this which catches the eye of the hero, although it usually starts with them intensely disliking each other at first. And oftentimes they'll insert (from what I've read) popular K-Pop singers into lead roles, which seems to occasionally lead to new acting avenues for them. I'm watching a Taiwanese drama at the moment and they have a T(?)-pop singer in there that seems to be popular there but looks like some sort of real life anime mutant of some sort....gives me the creeps. ;))

And as an aside, since in every single one of these things I see the main characters ingesting ludicrous amounts of instant ramen noodles, I occasionally pick up some from the store myself and scarf some down too during my viewings so I feel more involved somehow :)). I know...I'm weird. I want to go to Seoul now. B-)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 7:56 pm

I am currently watching Dancing With The Stars. It is the Semi Finals show tonight and next week will be the finale.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Dec 26, 2016 2:39 pm

I've never watched DwtS, but I bet I would like it if I did start watching it. The closest I've come is watching Lindsey Stirling's 'The Arena' video with Derek Hough. ;))

Now, here's a shocker, I've started watching a TV show as it's been airing: The Grand Tour! Starring the former stars of Britain's Top Gear. It's been... different. ;)) I do like parts of it, but I certainly liked Top Gear better. Obviously they always have contrived bits on the old show, but this is above and beyond enjoyable for me personally. I do like watching them drive the cars around though. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 31, 2016 5:28 pm

My siblings, mom, and I watched When Calls The Heart Christmas on the 26th, so much fun. I don't really like the settlers, but it would be weird if the town didn't grow after 3 seasons. I loved the scene with Rosemary and Jack about her Christmas present from Lee. :D And the Mountie Ball. ;;)

Can't wait for the fourth season to start on February 19th! B-)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

PreviousNext