This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby 220chrisTian » Apr 17, 2014 2:52 pm

@SnowAngel: I don't watch or even own a TV. So I didn't become a "When Calls the Heart" fan until Sunday night, when I saw a DVD of the first 2 episodes. Jack and Elizabeth = EEK! I'm now a Heartie! Check out these fan creations. :x

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/whencallstheheart [official website]
http://www.heartieswcth.com/ [official fan site]
https://www.facebook.com/events/635061493245681/ [art]
https://www.facebook.com/events/295365537286703/ [music videos]
https://www.fanfiction.net/tv/When-Calls-the-Heart/ [fiction]

Lori Loughlin said on Twitter this week that they'll know in May whether or not season 2 has been greenlit. :)
220chrisTian

Postby Aslans Daughter » May 22, 2014 11:30 pm

I am in live with the show Once Upon A Time!! It's my absolute favourite show at the moment. Does anyone else here like Once Upon A Time as well?
Aslans Daughter
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 23, 2014 3:19 am

Once Up A Time. It certainly has its moments of being good, even very good but the Peter Pan arc was mostly very tiresome and much too long. I'm enjoying the Wicked Witch (Oz) arc much more.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby stargazer » May 23, 2014 10:47 am

Agreed, Warrior. The Peter Pan arc was interesting at first but just went on way too long. On the other hand, Rebecca Mader (who played a character named CS Lewis in LOST) is a good Wicked Witch.

I think this show, on the whole, was best in Season 1. Exploring the backstories of familiar fairy tale characters - many of which were written with unexpected plot twists and such - was one of my favorite parts of the show. That novelty has worn off a bit but as you said, it still has good parts.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 24, 2014 4:08 am

I agree but the costume choices are more agreeable since Season 1. :p
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby SnowAngel » May 30, 2014 12:15 pm

220chrisTian wrote:@SnowAngel: I don't watch or even own a TV. So I didn't become a "When Calls the Heart" fan until Sunday night, when I saw a DVD of the first 2 episodes. Jack and Elizabeth = EEK! I'm now a Heartie! Check out these fan creations. :x
Awesome stuff, 220chrisTian!

I finally got to see the first 2 episodes of When Calls The Heart this week. They were the only episodes we missed seeing on TV. They were good, but I didn't really like that on the DVD they ran the two episodes together.

I am really looking forward to season two! :)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Ryadian » Jun 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Arwenel wrote:Sometime during the last week or so, i started watching Burn Notice on Netflix. I've gone through the first four seasons and am into the early episodes of season 5. Obviously, i am really enjoying it.

I guess so! :P My mom, brother and I watch Burn Notice, too. :) I also enjoy the character interactions, as well as just seeing how they pull off all their tricks, especially when they rely more on cleverness/understanding their opponents than on resources or gun fights. :P :) Unfortunately, I've been feeling a bit (ahem) "burned out" on the show lately. :( The overarching plot just seems to drag on too long, to the point where certain revelations don't seem to matter as much as they should anymore. :(

Granted, we basically watched the show via DVD releases, meaning we'd get to burn (I promise, I'm not doing this on purpose!) through an entire season, then wait a year for the next season to come out. :P I think it's the kind of show that's best when you can watch one right after another. ;)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby 220chrisTian » Jun 06, 2014 12:38 pm

@SnowAngel: Season 2 has been greenlit. :)

I'm glad you liked the first 2 episodes. It's the only DVD I've seen. Each DVD will be released in a 2-episode package, with various special features. The 'store' album I created on my fan page gives the covers of the first 3 DVDs. Two have already been released. The third will be released in stores and online this month.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 144&type=3
220chrisTian

Postby IloveFauns » Jun 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Okay I am a bit late to the game, but I have started watching doctor who(I have watched the odd episode in the past). It is so much better watching them in order. I am up to the second series now. I really like Chris Eccelston as the doctor, and wish he got more episodes.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jun 07, 2014 7:19 pm

I hear you, ILF. ^ I just started watching Doctor Who a few months ago; I think I would like to start from Chris Eccelston, too, as he seems like a good doctor, and I'd feel more legit watching it in order of seasons. I have watched around in all episodes, and, while I can't decide on who my favorite Doctor is at this point, I have to say that I think either Rory/Amy or Donna win for Favourite Companions.

I got around to watching Once Upon A Time on Netflix. I have watched uptil Season One, and I'm anticipating progressing, as the show has quite a knack on ending at the juiciest moments. :P
I am enjoying the show, and I went back and read some of the thoughts on it on here. I am not a fan of every single episode, but the basic story and most of the characters is strong enough to keep me satisfied and curious. The dynamics between the characters is great. I liked Emma right away, which helped me warm up to the show, of course. I appreciate that the heroes and heroines fight side by side, acknowledging each other as comrades. If there's something that the show got right, I believe it would definitely be a good portrayal of real men and real women, both who have the capacity to be fierce warriors or cowards. I enjoyed the show for that. The cast is excellent. My favorite character at this point is either Archie Hopper/Jiminy or Pinocchio. Hansel and Gretel and their Storybrooke story was probably my favourite episode, tying with Jiminy's backstory.
I must admit that Regina's backstory made me understand her more and feel bad for her to some degree, though her anger at Snow White and her immediate resort to revenge and power are disconcerting.
My criticism of the show at this point would be the story with David/Mary Margaret. The whole thing was rather messy; it was a relief when, 10 episodes later, it was put to rest for other stories. Snow and Prince Charming are great characters, but the way their relationship was played out in the Storybrooke and the effects it had on Kathryn and others was something I was not the biggest fan of.
Rumplestiltskin's backstory as the Dark One and with Bae was interesting; I'm glad they gave him some depth of character. The episode with Belle... eh... not terribly pleased about that :P but there was more to the story than that, so I was able to set it aside.
The fact that it was Emma's true love for Henry that broke the curse was a beautiful way to end Season One.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby parableproductions » Jun 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Netflix has really been great for me. I've gotten to watch a lot of shows that I wasn't able to or hadn't known about.

One of those shows was The Glades. I eagerly awaited more episodes to be posted and was so happy when they finally were. I just finished watching them all and now I'm really distressed. Big cliffhanger and I find out the show has been cancelled??
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Once Upon A Time is a good show but the episodes really are hit or miss, in terms of both quality and interest.

I recently began rewatching LOST for the first time in 4 years. I'm almost halfway through Season 1. Despite not having seen it for so long, I've read numerous books about the series and countless articles. That said, it's surprising how I've never picked up on some of the little details until now. LOST really is one of those series that you can come back to time and again and discover new things. So good!
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Princess Frances » Jun 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Farewell, Rik Mayall.

Does anyone else remember that scene in The Young Ones where Vyvyan ends up in Narnia? I think the BBC have put it up on You Tube.
Princess Frances

Postby IloveFauns » Jun 11, 2014 11:06 pm

I have watched a few scattered episodes of black adder and the young ones(my dad is a fan of both shows) but I don't remember that one sorry.

Anyway RIP to Rik Mayall, he was a great comedian.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am

Is anyone else going to be watching the premiere for season three of Legend of Korra this week? I'll be tuning in. I liked the first season a lot, although I felt that the ending was too quick and tied up far too neatly. (Can't really blame the show creators for that, I suppose; they didn't know that they would be renewed for three more seasons.) Season two was kind of a mixed bag for me. I've got higher hopes for the next two seasons, though; they've had time to plan and I've heard that they're supposed to have more of a running plot, so to speak. The animation looks great, too.

Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby 220chrisTian » Jun 23, 2014 1:51 pm

I didn’t know my Sherlock Holmes thread would get so little response. I’m sure you can discuss TV adaptations – but in my thread, not here!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934
220chrisTian

PreviousNext