This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Rose, I loved Avatar: The Legend of Aang and I've been enjoying The Legend of Korra. I enjoyed the first season more than the second, but the latter was still very good (just quite different). I have high hopes for season 3 - it looks fantastic! That said, I'll probably wait until every episode of this book is out and then watch it, that's what I did for the other books. But yes, I'm excited!
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby IloveFauns » Jun 23, 2014 7:01 pm

220chrisTian wrote:I didn’t know my Sherlock Holmes thread would get so little response. I’m sure you can discuss TV adaptations – but in my thread, not here!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934

Ha I didn't think I would be the only one to reply to that thread.

Anyway I am up to series 4 of doctor who. I must say they spend a lot of time running from the bad guys. Also Donna isn't as fashionably conscious as the others. I mean jeans and runners/joggers?....... ha I guess she is prepared for the running.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Rose and Warrior, I also enjoyed both Aang and Korra (though the latter not as much, partly because the original show raised the bar pretty high). I also liked season 1 of Korra better than 2 despite its abrupt ending (as Rose mentions, they didn't know they were going to get more episodes).

Korra season 2 was a mixed bag for me, some good parts but some disappointments. The Avatar origin story and Korra in the spirit world didn't do a lot for me. Having said that, the season 3 trailer looks good. Lots of bending action and good animation. Looking forward to that.

Warrior, I see your mention of 24: Live Another Day in your signature. I've been watching this too and feel it's caught the spirit and tension of the original series. Lots of violence and gun fights, but then it is Jack Bauer we're talking about. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Lord_Kappa » Jun 25, 2014 2:12 pm

I was wondering where the Sherlock discussion was happening... I love Seasons 1 and 2, but cannot enjoy any of the episodes in Season 3. I feel like the show changed so dramatically.

I was similarly disappointed by the Legend of Korra compared to Avatar. I will still likely watch Season 3 (Changes), but with even less hopes than I watched Season 2 with.
What I do find interesting is that the villain in the trailer looks just like Princess Azula... I wonder if she is going to be related. We know that Zuko had a son, perhaps he had a daughter and she becomes evil?

Those are about the only shows I watch with any regularity. I sometimes watch Flashpoint on Netflix. Does anyone else enjoy that show?
Lord_Kappa
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Ryadian » Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Lord_Kappa wrote:I was similarly disappointed by the Legend of Korra compared to Avatar. I will still likely watch Season 3 (Changes), but with even less hopes than I watched Season 2 with.

That is pretty much my exact attitude. :P :) Avatar is my favorite TV show of all time, but Korra is on probation with me--if I don't like the first few episodes of this season, I might give up. (I was not happy with season 2, and if it weren't Avatar related, I probably would've given up.)

Lord Kappa wrote:What I do find interesting is that the villain in the trailer looks just like Princess Azula... I wonder if she is going to be related. We know that Zuko had a son, perhaps he had a daughter and she becomes evil?

Oooh, interesting theory. I've only watched the trailer once--since it's coming out this week, I mind as well not spoil too much for myself. :P I didn't notice her, but... yeah, who know's what's happened to the Fire Nation royal family in the past 70 years? Or, given that (warning--spoiler for the comics!)
SHOW SPOILER "The Promise/The Search"
I know Azula gets out of prison, at least temporarily, for "The Search", maybe she has children, too? I haven't read the Search yet, so I don't know if she ends up back in prison or not. :P
Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing how season 3 might tie in to the original show. :)

Lord_Kappa wrote:Those are about the only shows I watch with any regularity. I sometimes watch Flashpoint on Netflix. Does anyone else enjoy that show?

My mom and I watched the show on Netflix. I really, really enjoyed it--probably either #2 or #3 on my Top 10 TV shows. Almost every episode was brilliantly paced, making you feel both the intensity of "can they save everyone?" and the emotional impact. I liked how it made me sympathize with/understand the subject of the week, without taking away from the fact that they're still threatening/hurting other people. I also really liked pretty much all of the characters for one reason or another--can't decide if Greg or Ed is my favorite. :)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby shastastwin » Jun 26, 2014 4:51 am

Actually, Zuko's daughter is the currently reigning Fire Lord. General Iroh II is (presumably) her son. There's been no confirmation of other children for Zuko from the show's writers. :)

I generally love watching shows with a shorter episode count per season, as it tends to cut out the fluff, but Korra has struggled with keeping enough development in its episodes. I think that, for the most part, Book 2 started remedying this, and I'm hoping that Book 3 will continue the upward trend.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 26, 2014 8:11 am

I am very much looking forward to the Legend of Korra Book 3 premiere tomorrow.

I'm a Korra defender, but I do acknowledge that the original show was definitely better than the current one. Korra has better animation, fascinating themes and ideas, and top-notch world-building. Unfortunately, the plot is not always that well thought out - especially compared with the elegant simple-to-epic plot of the previous series - and I find myself feeling indifferent towards most of the characters. I like Korra, but Mako, Bolin, and Asami ehh... Then there's the teen romance thing. Thank goodness there won't be any more of that this season. So basically, I consider myself a fan of the new series and manage to thoroughly enjoy it for what it is, but I recognize that it has flaws.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lord_Kappa » Jun 26, 2014 11:35 am

(Shashtastwin, I am not intentionally copying your color choice for text... I did this years ago, and took it up before realizing you did, as well.)

Thanks, Shastastwin, for the information about Zuko's kids. I didn't know that. I do really expect this character to be related in some way, just because the resemblance would be uncanny if she weren't. I'm also under the impression (working from memory) that the voice actress who played Azula has been secured for this upcoming series.

Ryadian, you and I seem to have very similar tastes. The emotional impact of Flashpoint is really what makes it such a great show in my opinion. Each episode does put that suspense in your head about whether or not they can save everyone who is in peril. Each episode also has the ability to make me cry, if I don't keep my emotions in check.
Lord_Kappa
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby shastastwin » Jun 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Not to worry, Lord_Kappa. I'm pretty sure I started using this color by copying someone years back. ;))

I know that Grey DeLisle, the actress to whom you're referring, voiced a spirit in the latter part of Book 2, but I hadn't heard that she was returning for Book 3. I'll be excited to see what she does, as she's one of my favorite voice actors.

After checking the Avatar/Korra Wiki, it seems that your memory was correct. Grey DeLisle has confirmed that she will be in Book 3! :D
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Ryadian » Jun 28, 2014 3:45 pm

shastastwin wrote:After checking the Avatar/Korra Wiki, it seems that your memory was correct. Grey DeLisle has confirmed that she will be in Book 3! :D

Ooooh. :D Grey DeLisle is one of my favorite voice actresses, so I look forward to hearing her work. (I refuse to follow the link, though, because still avoiding spoilers. Still haven't seen the premiere because I want to watch it with my brother, and he's busy.)

Reepicheep775 wrote:Then there's the teen romance thing. Thank goodness there won't be any more of that this season.

Ditto that! :P If we get some character development for these characters that extends beyond the romance, I'll be very happy. Actually, I think first season had some good moments of that, like Korra's first encounter with Amon--when she realizes just how wholly unprepared she is to deal with him, and admits how terrified she is to Tenzin. Now, if only Mako and Bolin could get some moments like that.... :P

Lord_Kappa wrote:Ryadian, you and I seem to have very similar tastes. The emotional impact of Flashpoint is really what makes it such a great show in my opinion. Each episode does put that suspense in your head about whether or not they can save everyone who is in peril. Each episode also has the ability to make me cry, if I don't keep my emotions in check.

Oh yes, definitely. You always feel the pressure the characters are under, especially since the team wants everyone to come out alive as much as you do. There were some episodes where the subject died that impacted me more than the death of a series regular in other shows. The season 5 premiere, especially, with the girl who dies after pulling a gun on her father, and all the fallout which lasted the rest of the season. And then Lou's death... I was so convinced they were somehow going to save him until he died.
Ryadian

Postby EmpressJadis » Jun 30, 2014 5:11 am

Anyone here watch Death in Paradise? Now THAT'S a good show! Has season four been released in the UK yet? I fear I am behind as we are currently posted in Australia......I joined during season three so right now I'm just catching up on 1 and 2 right now......
EmpressJadis

Just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 06, 2014 2:36 pm

I haven't seen Death in Paradise, EmpressJadis, but it looks interesting!

I was able to catch the three episode premiere of the Legend of Korra last month; I enjoyed it a lot. It's really nice to see Team Avatar just working together as a group of friends without a bunch of annoying romantic tension spoiling all of the fun.

I did enjoy watching Mako squirm around Korra and Asami, though; the way he jumps from girl to girl has always gotten on my nerves. :P It was awesome to see Zuko again, if a bit surreal! Kai is kind of annoying, but he probably won't stay that way. It will be interesting to see him develop as a character, although I find myself wondering if he'll end up being a good guy or a bad guy when it's all said and done.

I also really like that steampunk airship, too. ;)) So far, I'd say that this season is looking better than the last and I'm definitely intrigued. All of the villains look like they're extremely talented and hardcore adversaries, so I think we're in for some amazing bending battles this season. Looking forward to the next episode this Friday!

Wow, I hadn't thought of the possibility that P'Li might be related to Azula, Lord_Kappa, but now that you mention it, there's a huge resemblance. I wouldn't be surprised at that either.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Ryadian » Jul 18, 2014 3:01 pm

(Warning--The Legend of Korra spoilers!)

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Wow, I hadn't thought of the possibility that P'Li might be related to Azula, Lord_Kappa, but now that you mention it, there's a huge resemblance. I wouldn't be surprised at that either.

Actually, my first thought when I saw part of her face was, "Azula??" Then they revealed that her name was something else, and it seems unlikely that Zuko would call her that if he knows that it's his sister. (*Refrains from further commentary in case not everyone here has read The Search*)

So, since the last time I posted, I finally got and read my copy of The Search (all three parts), as well as watched the first three episodes of season 3 of Korra (which means that I'm still 2 episodes behind everyone else, I believe). What I will say about The Search: read it. These comics serve as a really good "epilogue" to the first series, while also laying groundwork for Korra. Seriously, do yourself a favor and find a copy somewhere. :D

As for Korra... well, I don't think I've been subtle about my distaste for season 2. :P So far, I've liked Season 3 all right--I'm glad that the romance drama has mostly dropped off, and some of what is happening is interesting. It's certainly better than last season premeire, which... well, that was last season. :P

Unfortunately, the two main plot lines just aren't really interesting me all that greatly.
SHOW SPOILER "Plotline #1"
While the "spontaneous airbender" thing is interesting, I feel like they rushed the conflict--rebuilding the Airbenders versus the lives that these people already had--way, waaaay too much. Now it feels like the rest of the season is going to be rehashing that... oh joy. /:) Though, the end of the third episode--with the Dai Li capturing the Airbenders and essentially press-ganging them.... that was both interesting, and feels like the Dai Li we know and... "love". Wow, Ba Sing Se is just so Avatar-unfriendly, no matter what age. :P

SHOW SPOILER "Plotline #2"
The whole thing with Zahir, though.... ehhh. Frankly, this is the third "villain with some 'righteous path' which involves the destruction of the Avatar" we've seen this series, and of the three, Amon (thus far) has been the best. Zahir hasn't delved into the same kind of blind, cliche villainy Unalaq was guilty of (yet), but for a guy who's supposed to be the main antagonist, all my brother and I said was, "He talks way too much." Maybe he'll prove me wrong as the season progresses.

Korra has gotten mildly better in my book, though... seriously, she's mainly bothered by her poll numbers? Really? (How was Aang a more mature Avatar at 12 than you are at 16/17/18/however old you are now? /:) ) Also... I was never really convinced that her choice to
SHOW SPOILER "Season 2 finale"
leave the Spirit Portals open
was a good idea in the first place (everything in the season basically said this was a bad idea, for all parties!), so having everyone--herself included--question that decision.... I think they're trying to tell us she did the right thing after all, but I'm still unconvinced.

Again, though, still two (after tonight, three) episodes behind, so I'm trying to reserve my judgment until then.
Ryadian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 18, 2014 3:31 pm

A few thoughts on season 3 of The Legend of Korra, episodes 4 and 5...

It was neat seeing Jinora astral projecting. I really like how they've expanded her role. I loved the escape of the airbenders and Team Avatar from the compound. I thought that was really well-done and it was great to see these new benders assert themselves against the Dai Li.

Zaofu is awesome. Suyin claimed that it was the safest city in the world, and I really want to see that put to the test. What a brilliant design for a city.

I find myself thinking that either Suyin isn't being forthcoming about why Lin hates her so much, or that there's some awful misunderstanding. Opal seems nice, but maybe a little boring, too. I'll be interested to see where they go with her character. I hope she's more than just a love interest for Bolin.

Kya's fight with Zaheer was well-done, but it's getting hard to see all of the good guys getting defeated by the villains. I'm interested to learn where they came from, how they became such formidable benders, and what they want.

Looking forward to the new episodes tonight! I like Amon best as well, Ryadian, but maybe these new villains will make me change my mind as time goes on.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Whoa! Apparently Book 4 of The Legend of Korra is premiering online on the 3rd of October! :-o On the one hand, it's awesome that it's such a short wait. At the same time, I'm sad because I don't want it to be over so soon. ;)) Who knows when (or if) we'll get another series set in the Avatar universe.

In other news, it looks like Korra has a new hairstyle for season four. I just hope the bangs don't get in her eyes and obscure her vision when she's fighting. :P

I never did post my thoughts about Book 3, did I? I honestly think it was my favorite out of them all.

Zaheer and the other three villains were pretty great antagonists; I'm hoping that Zaheer appears again in the next season. The series finale was awesome, if rather sad at the very end. It was great seeing Jinora become an airbending master, but the look on Korra's face... she looked rather like someone who believes that they're dying. It'll be interesting to see what her state is at the beginning of the next season, to say the least.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby shastastwin » Sep 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Rose, I was thinking the same thing. Book 3 of Korra is definitely my favorite so far. It really captured the best elements of the universe the way A:TLA did. I was reminded a lot of Books 2 and 3 of the original show.

I'm surprised and yet not surprised that Book 4 is coming so quickly. They've had everything recorded and storyboarded for Book 4 since before Book 3 aired, so I expect the postproduction is finishing things up right now. I hope that maybe the showrunners will create another show a bit further into the world's future (or perhaps its past), but I really want them to have a story to tell and not just make one for the money (honestly, I'd suspect Nickelodeon of the latter moreso than the writers, but you never know).
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

PreviousNext