This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Present Movies: The First Showing!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Present Movies: The First Showing!

Postby wild rose » Dec 27, 2013 9:21 am

Aslanisthebest wrote:Finally got around to seeing Frozen!

seems you got to it before I did ;))

I saw Frozen yesterday and loved it so much
The whole 'getting engaged to someone you just met' was really cool and I was REALLY suprised to find out who Hans really was, I really did not see it coming Elsa's and Anna's relationship is really sweet. Though I felt that they borrowed from Rapanzel's character, at least in many ways Anna reminded me of Rapunzel. The songs were really cool :) I enjoyed the 'Let it Go' song. It sounds a LOT better in English but in Russian it wasn't so bad either. I also liked the little bit that was taken from the original story, about love thawing a frozen heart, the whole thing about a heart being frozen into a piece of ice and only love being able to thaw it. Of course, in the original fairy tale it's different, but I like the way Disney interpreted it. And the way Elsa cried while hugging Anna reminded me of how Gerda hugged Kai and cried over him. It was nice to see little part of the fairy tale still come through, even though the story was completely different.

I still have this little wish that they would have just made an animtated film of the original fairy tale (The Snow Queen) cause it's one of my very favorite fairy tales and I'd be interested to see how Disney would have made it. But Frozen is a great cartoon and one that I enjoyed watching. I'll be sure to get it on DVD when it comes out :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 29, 2013 4:05 am

Desolation of Smaug...where do I even start.

I love the Lord of the Rings films. They continue to define the standard of the modern fantasy epic for me.

I didn't think An Unexpected Journey was as good, but I still found it to be an enjoyable fantasy film.

Desolation of Smaug was just bad. It took everything that was wrong with AUJ and drove it up to 11. Too much CGI, unrealistic over-the-top action sequences, scenes that dragged on forever, all that and more.

DoS relies way too much on CGI environments. Maybe working too much with film production and chroma keying itself has ruined this for me, but I could really tell when entire backgrounds were just green-screened in. All the edges of the characters were a little white and fuzzy and everything just looked too stylized. There was barely anything shot in real outside locations.

The Barrels sequence, as W4J said, is the epitome of unrealistic stylized action that had no need to be there. It was hard enough for me to suspend my disbelief when they kept cutting to POV shots from the barrels that were obviously filmed on gopros, but when Legolas started tap dancing on the dwarves' heads and tossing and throwing swords with everyone like an acrobat team I completely lost my ability to be invested in anything that happened in the scene. There was nothing at stake, this was just a showcase for the ninja-like killing skills of the elves and the complete fighting incompetence of every orc infantry unit ever.

As bad as that scene was, the climax of the movie in the furnace room was even worse. I couldn't even tell what was going on since there was no establishing wide shot to tell me the layout of the room they were running through. Am I supposed to believe that when Smaug kicked the dwarves out of Dale all those years ago, they were 5 minutes away from forging a giant gold Dwarf statue, and that Thorin and all the dwarves were then able to set everything in motion without any prep? Come on.

Adding Tauriel was fine to me, but her romance with Kili felt very forced, like they needed to create some sort of romantic tension to make her character interesting. I feel like that made the decision to add a strong female character very patronizing. Having her save Kili in a long drawn-out way felt pointless since he's supposed to die in the third movie anyway.

Why doesn't Legolas just shoot Bolg? He had no qualms shooting every other orc in sight but then sees Bolg 20 feet away and pulls out a sword. Why not just put an arrow through his head and be done with it instead of going into dangerous close-range combat and getting a nosebleed?

The pacing of the third act of the movie just did not work. Cutting back and forth between several different storylines felt jarring.

4/10 :(
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ValiantArcher » Dec 30, 2013 7:59 pm

I somehow managed to fit in The Desolation of Smaug, Frozen, and Catching Fire over the past few weeks. #:-s They're doing a good job of hashing over the good and the bad in DoS in the Tolkien thread, so I won't say much, but I'll agree that the pacing was just way too fast; there wasn't any time to breathe.

I went to see Frozen with a classmate who really wanted to see it and it was okay. I wasn't a huge fan of the songs; "Let it Go" has been lauded a lot, but it sounded far too much like Idina Menzel and not at all like Elsa, which jarred me out of my tenuous place in their world (in addition to reminding me too much of "Defying Gravity" from Wicked). To my sisters' surprise, I did find the troll scene and song funny simply because they're trying to convince Anna to marry Hans by listing out all his bad points. ;)) My main problem was with the logic of the spell(s), though: If you can convince the head that it's not hurt by making it forget that it's been hit, how does true love erase the freezing of a heart? When has ignorance ever been healing, and how does true love remove the frozen head streak too? And how did Elsa, after a lifetime of trying to control her power, instantly figure out how to control it and defrost everything at the end? :P And it wasn't "letting it all go" since she still wasn't able to control it when Kristoff and Anna showed up. :P My other problem had to deal with Hans: there were already enough sources of conflict (Count or Duke of Weaseltown, tension between Anna and Elsa, Anna's frozen heart, the frozen town, the people's distrust and fear of Elsa) that Hans was really unnecessary. I knew that he and Anna wouldn't be together (because of comments about how the true love at first sight plot wasn't going to be what you thought it would be :P), but I was really hoping he would be a good guy, just not a good match for Anna (kind of like what they did with Charlotte in The Princess and the Frog). It also made his earlier actions a bit confusing, especially when he took such concern to make sure Elsa wasn't harmed while it would've been a lot easier to let the Weaseltown soldiers ensure a little accident. I did wonder what was going on with him mentioning his 12 older brothers, but I was thinking/hoping it was a red herring because it was very obvious; apparently not, though. :P Secondary problems are mostly not the movie's fault (...I made an unfortunate association with Hans reminding me of someone), but I wish that Elsa's Snow Queen dress didn't look so modern (there are ways of making a dress stand out without totally throwing out the entire look and feel of the world and giving her a narrow skirt with a slit most of the way up the side). I did rather like that it was an act of love on Anna's part, not an act that someone did for her, that unfroze her, and I appreciated them trying to focus on the sister relationship even if it didn't really strike me as it appears to have struck pretty much everyone else. :)

I'd heard that Catching Fire was a good adaptation and movie, but I was still pleasantly surprised. :) It was great to see how pretty much all the major lines and scenes were almost straight out of the book. I didn't mind the consolidation of certain bits or storylines as much as I might've either, probably because of everything that they still crammed in there. And the pace was good. ;)) One part that particularly stuck out to me was how they showed not only Katniss's reaction to the Quarter Quell announcement, but also Haymitch's and Peeta's shock and horror. That was something I'd thought about when reading the book, but of course since we're inside Katniss's head, we didn't get to see their reactions.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 30, 2013 9:51 pm

I thought the pacing was fine. I usually drift off if the pacing is way too slow. I loved that part with bilbo jumping up and down on a floor opening.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Trusty » Jan 18, 2014 12:59 am

The Book Thief.

I thought this was everything a movie should be! It was very aesthetically pleasing but understated, culturally nuanced (all non-essential dialogue was in German) and a very fair portrayal of an often ill-judged piece of history. I really appreciated the way the personal, familial narrative quietly wove its thread through a much larger political narrative that was often eluded to (in scary ways) but never really revealed.

It's a tad dark/suspenseful in places (unsurprising, given the history) but definitely tends towards the heartwarming too. A nice balance. A very fresh look at Nazi Germany and the innocence or passivity of many of its citizens (showed them hiding in fear from British ariel bombings, reminiscent of the countless times we've seen that for London). Having been to Germany many times before, and heard the people there talk fondly about their grandfathers and uncles that died in WWII, it was good to see that perspective again - alongside the necessary condemnation of the Third Reich (at one point Liesl and her little boyfriend desperately shout to the unhearing wilderness: "I hate Hitler!"). Again, this movie really humanises "the Germans".

Great acting too.

You've got to be patient with the plot and just enjoy the pace at which it unfolds. It's worth it. Its this approach that really made me feel like I've read a book, the story seems to have lasted with me like that.

I'd give it a 9/10.
Trusty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jan 18, 2014 3:23 pm

The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug has been out for a month and I finely found time to go see it and well...

I'll start with what I liked about the film I liked the design of Smaug I thought vary cool not at all how I imaged him but still vary cool I also liked the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug it almost word for word from the book I thought the acting was ok no one was great but no one was bad.

Now on to what I didn't like I think they used way way too much CGI in is film it makes everything look to much like a cartoon and the barrels sequence was just awful its just so crazy that don't feel like the characters are in any danger.

I also did not like the thing with Kili and Tauriel seemed pointless and forced to me it don't add anything to the film like they just added a romance for the sake of having one I don't see why it was in the film.

5/10
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 22, 2014 6:00 am

Go and see "The Railway Man". It's the most moving film I've seen in twenty years.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby thephfactor1 » Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm

I just watched Her by Spike Jonze today. I consider it to be an absolute masterpiece, with brilliant performances and a truly visionary story. Watch it watch it watch it.
thephfactor1
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 28, 2014 2:22 am

Trusty: Your review was exactly what I thought of the book thief. The only thing that stopped me crying at the end was the thought of having my mascara leak down my face and having to walk around town after. I liked how the point of view was from general citizens of Germany. Showing that they were just as innocent as the general citizens of England who were bombed during the war.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Re: Future Movies Take 1

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Just saw "God's not Dead". Excellent! Given my personal experience with philosophy teachers in collage it was entirly believable.
The acting was well done, as was the script.
Only one of the scenes was a little contrived, ( sorry, I'm am bad at figuring out how to do spoiler black outs ).
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Haleth » Mar 23, 2014 11:01 am

I saw Muppets Most Wanted last night. It was hilarious.

I especially liked the 'investigators,' Gonzo, and Fozzie the Bear. Plus, with all the cameos--Loki gets tasered :p
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Mar 23, 2014 1:38 pm

With almost all of the talk about Divergent, I didn't realize that Muppets Most Wanted was released this weekend. :-o I might have to see if my husband would be interested in seeing it on a date night. Otherwise I'll probably wait for the DVD. But I REALLY want to see this one. I loved the last one.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Lady Haleth » Apr 06, 2014 12:44 pm

I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier a few days ago. My full thoughts would take a while to explain, (I may post them later), but to sum up:
It was great. :)
But sad. :(
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 06, 2014 6:21 pm

NOAH

A short review:

The Noah movie is deeply philosophical and psychological. It’s structured as an aggressive debate on the nature of God, mankind, sin, suffering, justice, mercy and redemption, in the tradition of rabbinic arguments and the great thinkers of the Christian Church throughout its tumultuous history. Much of this formidable debate plays out as a small (but heated) family drama between Noah and his kin.

The movie borrows from a number of ancient source materials, namely the Old Testament Bible, the interesting but uninspired Book of Enoch and the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Noah proves to be Darren Aronofsky’s most mainstream movie to date (that said I’ve only seen three others of his) but it’s probably still the most unorthodox interpretation of Noah and the Great Flood you’re ever likely to witness.

A really good (if highly speculative) take on the book of Genesis, chapters 6-9. You'll be thinking about the movie long after you've left the cinema.

Check out my detailed review below to find out more.

8/10

A rather long review:

Great movie! Going into it, I knew this version would be different from the historical account found in the Bible, in the book of Genesis, Chapters 6-9. The movie is, in parts, both true to the Bible and rather speculative. The story borrows from Noah's story in the Old Testament but also other sections in the Bible, including the earlier chapters of Genesis (the creation, the fall, Cain and Abel, the early genealogies). There's some Jewish lore (the Book of Enoch), some Jewish mythology and Mesopotamian mythology and of course, director Darren Aronofsky's own ideas.

I've seen some of Aronofsky's other works - Pi (good), The Fountain (clever but dull) and Black Swan (good), so I had some idea of what to expect. He is clearly passionate about the story he's telling and he's not afraid to take it in unorthodox directions.

I found the storytelling to be layered and challenging and the major characters to be both psychologically and philosophically rich, save for Noah's son, Japtheth. Much of the acting was well done, especially Russell Crowe playing Noah.

Noah's story is fascinating. It's terribly dark and disturbing and the movie is sombre in tone. Noah has many doubts and his dreams eventually drive him mad. He later develops a form of cabin fever aboard the Ark. That said, his story extrapolates on what may have happened eg. Noah's doubting his role in God's plan, family struggles, withstanding the culture of sin surrounding them, the fear and horror of experiencing the Flood - hearing all those outside the Ark dying, the doubts in creating an Ark and then trusting that God was watching over them, surivour's guilt and so on. This Noah's a far cry from the biblical man but he's certainly shown to be fallible. That and his eventual psychosis is intriguing to watch.

The visuals were often compelling but not distracting. They were only there to further the story (here's looking at you Michael Bay!) I was surprised at how little of the actual Flood was shown. It's not a disaster movie in the tradition of Dean Devlin and Roland Emmirech (you don't really see the continent break apart and the volcanoes erupt. You don't even see the waters rise or recede or much of the violence done to the land, the people and the animals. Much is left to the imagination.

Many say Aronofsky is an atheist. After watching seeing several of his movies and now Noah, I have to strongly disagree. Seems to me, he's either a lapsed Jew or one who's struggling to hold onto his faith. He questions so much and uses all of his characters, to different degrees, to share a little of his story, his fascination with Noah and his own struggle with his Creator God. The result is raw and ugly and disturbing. It's also honest and strangely encouraging. No saccharine religiosity here.

I have a few objections given the speculative nature of the movie. Some of them are major and some minor. My major objections are that the fallen angels are in league with Noah and his family and help them build the Ark (hello, these were Satan's minions). The CGI fallen angels as rock giants looked a little silly and out of place. I wonder why they changed the character design from the graphic novel (which I haven't read - yet). At one point, Noah tells the creation story to his family, but it's laced with evolutionary imagery (which admittedly is artfully done and highly impressive but also contrary to what the Bible teaches. Noah fighting off Tubal-Cain's men as the great waters of the deep shoot up into the sky. That was rather silly. Perhaps Noah's madness was taken too far. The movie needed more humour and at times, a sense of joy.

Minor objections: The stowaway on the Ark wasn't bad, so much as unnecessary. The writers could've mined Genesis 6:1-8 for more material; that was a missed opportunity. The meat = sinful, environment = good, people = bad message was a little preachy, but not nearly as bad as I feared. Also, there not being any dinosaurs aboard the Ark and no scenes where Noah's family tended to the animals. Once they're aboard, we see very little of the animals, because they've been drugged into hibernation (how convenient for the CGI artists!) Finally, I would've liked to have seen more of a civilization pre-Flood.

Judgment, sin, suffering, redemption - these themes are all given a fair hearing. Mankind is certainly not let off the hook for their sins and God isn't portrayed as the enemy (very good).

All in all, Noah was a really good movie. The story is controversial but artfully considered. Just don't go to see it expecting Noah's story to be wholly true to the Bible, because it most certainly isn't.

Warning: Mature audiences. Contains: Moderate violence, adult themes and disturbing imagery.

8/10
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby 220chrisTian » Apr 07, 2014 2:34 pm

Here's my review of "Noah." I haven't seen it and don't plan to. I'm not going to apologize for that either. The second link explains why.

http://voices.yahoo.com/bible-movies-noah-12590322.html
http://220lily.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/noah-2014/
220chrisTian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Noah seems to be a very Jewish movie. How on earth can you write a review for movie you haven't seen and don't plan too? You're welcome to avoid it but I can't take this seriously.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

PreviousNext