This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Makeup & Hair

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Makeup & Hair

Postby mm1991 » Nov 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Does anyone have any tips for making lipstick last longer? I've heard about putting a thin layer of vaseline on top but I haven't tried it myself.

I used to dye my hair all the time - despite being pretty allergic to the dye - but now I've come to accept my mousy brown hair.

I straighten my hair almost everyday but I hate doing that. I like the feeling of my natural hair better but I think mu hair looks better when it's straight (or at least as straight as I can make my stubborn, dense, thick hair). :p
I'm trying to find ways to style my hair so it's less pouffy/frizzy/erratic so I can stop damaging it so much with the straightener. I have tried vinegar rinses, frizz serums, gels, mouses, non-terry towels, no-shampoo method; all to no avail. *shrugs*
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 12, 2013 3:28 am

Lipstick my area( I usually do 1960's style lipstick colour and look)- I suggest buying a lip pencil( check if your red is blue or orange based and choose the pencil accordingly), you can also get brown lip pencils etc.
1. neatly outline lips
2. colour the whole lips( doesn't have to be perfect but this helps the colour last)
3. Use a lip brush and point your lips( cover every part of your lips)
4. Use lipstick tube but only in the middle of the lip and rub your lips together.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 29, 2013 6:53 pm

To bump this thread up, Ithi, if you're looking to recreate that look, there's a couple things you can do:

1. Get a good mascara and get really good at applying it. This only works if you already have well defined lashes, though. If your lashes are short/sparse, this won't work as well.
2. Most people make the mistake of incorrectly trimming and applying false eyelashes. Make sure they are correctly trimmed to fit along your natural lash line. When you apply them, don't apply them directly to your lash line; this is what makes your lashes more likely to fall out prematurely--they actually get pulled on when you remove the false lashes. Instead, apply the falsies just slightly above your lash line. This will make your lashes look thicker but it isn't noticeable that they aren't exactly where your real lashline is.

In the picture you posted, the model is also wearing a heavy black eyeliner in a slight cat eye style. If you work on perfecting this technique of applying eyeliner, you can probably get away with just doing mascara. Apply a bit more mascara on the outer lashes and less on the inner, too.

That's actually how I normally wear mascara, when I do; none on the inner lashes, a couple coats on the outer lashes.

Hope that helps!
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 13, 2014 5:23 pm

mm1991 wrote:Does anyone have any tips for making lipstick last longer? I've heard about putting a thin layer of vaseline on top but I haven't tried it myself.

This is a really late response, but this is how I extend the lifespan of colored lip balm.

1. Apply a coat to your lips.
2. Take a kleenex or paper towel and press it (don't swipe) against your lips, removing excess and leaving pigment behind.
3. Apply another coat.

You can do this even a third time if you like. I've found that it works pretty well.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 15, 2014 8:22 am

It's been a while since I posted in here. I haven't done anything drastic with makeup except changing eye pencil to liquid.
I did cut my hair and had it an auburn reddish color for a while.

And now it's blonde.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 10, 2015 7:56 am

I thought I would recover this thread again. Since I started wearing foundation regularly (2.5 years ago) I have used powdered foundation. The other week I decided to go for a liquid instead and i find it looks much better, except when going to work, it is still hot weather and no aircon inside working with an iron makes me go shiny. so I may stick to using powder for work.

Also I have been using a brown eyeliner instead of the usual black. This is because it looks less harsh for casual wear. Since I am rather pale I think it works better.

here is a recent photograph.
Attachments
rsz_10425416_10200380635834902_241223452958341903_n.jpg
rsz_10425416_10200380635834902_241223452958341903_n.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 16769 times
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wild rose » Mar 16, 2015 8:32 am

I don't wear makeup, I tried, but it takes too long to put on ;)) and so I don't bother.

After a sad experiance at a camp last year where they had terrible water, I began losing a lot of hair and became very alarmed. Following my sister's advice I started using natural soap and vinegar for my hair and now, seven months later at last I stopped having clumps of hair come out after washing.

Recently, a friend suggested I try pine tar soap on my hair....and now I am addicted! It makes your hair super rough though, so I always add a good vinegar mixture to smooth out my hair. Can't say my hair smells super nice now, but in texture it is perfect. I think I'm quite done using store bought shampoo... at least for the time being :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 18, 2015 5:52 am

Maybe I will suggest that to one of my housemates whose hair seems to come out like hat when washing it. There was consumer affairs program on abc (australian one) (it was a non-bias program) which discussed shampoo and conditioner, basically any shampoo is fine, just get a good conditioner. That makes sense as long as there are no harsh chemicals in the shampoo it will be fine (since well it is only there to wash), conditioner is more important. Also from my pharmacy training I remember it is a good idea to rotate conditioners (say rotate between 3) (I am not sure how much truth there is in that, I will have to research it).

Some people go way out with make-up everyday, doing contouring...... I have never done ti myself because I only have half an hour to get readying in the morning( I eat my breakfast on the way to the busstop).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 18, 2015 2:07 pm

That lip color looks cute with your hair and eye colors, IlF! I'm something of a makeup noob, but you could try "setting" the liquid foundation with a little light powder. That might help it stay more matte.

I don't blame you about not wanting to bother putting on makeup, Wild... that's been my stance on the whole matter for years. ;)) Lately I've been trying to make more of an effort towards learning how to put on makeup without making myself look like a clown, though, since I'm pretty inexperienced. :P I'm finding that what's even worse than the time it takes apply is the amount of money that everything costs. I read an article today that said the average woman spends $15,000 on makeup in her lifetime! :-o The horror. ;))

Out of the products I've been working with lately, one that I'm liking so far is Mineral Fusion Lengthening Mascara, in the Rock/Brown shade. (Really dark eye makeup is a little harsh on my skin as well, IlF.) They're not kidding when they say lengthening! The fact that it's made with more natural ingredients is nice as well.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 19, 2015 7:52 am

Thank you :), when one changes hair colour(I have had my current colour for 6 months now,which is unlike me, but i really like it). you need to change lipstick shades as well. I purchased a light powder the other day actually(same brand as my current foundation), it works very well if i apply the liquid and put a small amount of powder(especially on the nose and cheeks.

On mascara, mabeline are is the only brand i can find that sells a brown(not a brown/black) mascara. Though there is always online but i like buying make-up in store, to try it out.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 31, 2016 5:16 pm

*carefully brings thread to back to life* ;)

I am getting my hair cut tomorrow...really cut probably 14+ inches. The last day of 2016 my hair is right about waist length and on the first day of 2017 it is going to be above my shoulders. I am kind of excited and kind of not. All, but one of my sisters are getting their cut next week too. My Mom is going to cut my hair and my younger sisters', Scarlet is going to do her's herself. We are doing it for Wigs 4 Kids.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Oh, I hope your haircut turned out well, SA! My hair is long-ish right now and I keep toying with the thought of cutting it much shorter, but I can't tell if this is actually a good idea or an apocalyptic vision. :P
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby wild rose » Jan 03, 2017 9:51 am

I hope you'll enjoy your new haircut, SnowAngel.

I had a haircut last summer, had cut done bob style straight up to my earlobs. I didn't really want to cut it, but a friend, who was working as a barber's apprentice, needed a model to practice on and I volunteered. Since then it's grown out a bit. For a while I couldn't even put it in a ponytail. Now I can gather it back, but it gets rather boring, so I taught myself to frenchbraid my hair. First I practiced on dolls, which of course was a lot easier than doing it on myself, lol. My hands get tired, and I'm still not to good at it, which means sometimes I have to redo the braid two or three times, but I am learning. I was in Zambia at the time I started and internet there is super expensive, so I couldn't watch tutorials on youtube, so it was a fun experiance learning simply by trial and error.

I'm thinking now to get my hair highlighted before I go back to Zambia. My sister is even willing to take me to get it done. Hopefully we'll do it on the 9th.
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby fantasia » Jan 03, 2017 10:07 am

I have preferred my hair short for quite some time. It's not that I think it looks better that way, but it does look neater. My hair cut is modeled after Ginnifer Goodwin's cute crop. :D

The only downside to short hair is that you have to get it cut all the time (every two months at least for me). It's growing out a tiny bit over the winter and since I'm due in April, I don't feel like traveling to see my sis-in-law who cuts my hair. I'll get it shortened back up once the warm weather arrives. Until then I'll be a bit shaggy. ;) ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I can't believe how much I love the short hair. Of course it's only been a few days, I might think differently in a few months. Although I am seriously considering waiting a while before growing it back out again.

I really need to see how the shorter hair looks with my hats since I usually wear a hat to church every week.

I just measured my cutoff ponytail; it is 12-14 inches and that makes it one of my longer haircuts. This is the fifth time Scarlet and I have cut our hair for Wigs 4 Kids. :)

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Oh, I hope your haircut turned out well, SA! My hair is long-ish right now and I keep toying with the thought of cutting it much shorter, but I can't tell if this is actually a good idea or an apocalyptic vision. :P
If you have 10 inches you could donate to Wigs 4 Kids. :)

That's a cute haircut, fantasia! Scarlet cut her own hair last night, you could try that if you feel like an adventure. ;)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Jan 04, 2017 6:59 pm

While I have trimmed my own bangs before, I'm not usually brave enough to do the bits that I can't see. :P ;))

Cool on donating your hair! I donated mine to Locks of Love one time and then found out shortly thereafter that they weren't the best place... oh well. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext