This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Future Movies Take 1

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Future Movies Take 1

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 07, 2014 10:09 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:@Puddleglum, I chuckled when I read your post because to be honest, I had the exact opposite reaction. ;)) I am so sick to death of superhero movies. I haven't seen the last several that have come out and have no plan to really because they're all the same... But Guardians of the Galaxy looked quirky and fresh and different. I'm kind of interested in it, but like all movies anymore, I'm waiting for reviews before I make a decision. ;)

I'm kind of intrigued by this Jupiter Ascending movie coming up. It doesn't exactly look original, but it does look like it could be good and I like that type of storyline.

Haha! I had the same reaction. I'm unfamiliar with the Guardians of the Galaxy but the trailer looked fresh and subversive and Captain Star Lord looked like he was meant to be this generation's Han Solo (or at least heavily inspired by him).

I'm not a big fan of superheroes but I've enjoyed many of the movies. Captain America: Winter Soldier looks good but I'll leave it for DVD.

I'm looking forward to Transcendence and a movie called Lucy.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby 220chrisTian » Apr 12, 2014 1:47 pm

@Warrior: Although I initially liked Heaven is for Real, I have some biblical concerns with it - i.e. the details he gives about Jesus and heaven. They certainly don't match the book of Revelation. However, I haven't read book reviews yet. I don't like some people who are supporting the film either, namely Roma Downey and Kenneth Copeland. :/

I saw "The Book Thief" on DVD last week. I still haven't read the book, but I didn't like the movie's attitude toward death. Here's my review.

http://voices.yahoo.com/life-death-book ... 00324.html
220chrisTian

Postby 220chrisTian » Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Here are some Christian films coming to theaters in May and June. :)

Mom’s Night Out (May 9) – PG
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3014666/

Virtuous (May 9) – NR [Proverbs 31]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3419864/

A Long Way Off (May 16) – PG [Prodigal son]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2386502/

Alone Yet Not Alone (June 13) – PG-13
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1986769/
220chrisTian

Postby PrinceCor004 » Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

What? No mention of one of the most interesting looking movies this summer? ;)

Ah well, the following is probably my most anticipated movie for the Summer season... well, next to HTTYD2. :D

Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)
PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 20, 2014 12:42 am

Wowsers! Thanks, PrinceCor! Not only does that look like a great Godzilla movie, it looks like really good movie in general. Pumped! I actually didn't have a problem with the ah... American remake in the 1990's but I was a kid. This rendition looks brilliant and much truer to the original Japanese movies (well, the first few anyway).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Bookwyrm » Apr 20, 2014 2:55 am

I'm really excited for the Godzilla movie also. I watched a ton of the old Japanese movies when I was ten or so; it's great to see kaiju movies finally breaking into the American market via last year's Pacific Rim and this movie.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Cymru » Apr 21, 2014 1:32 pm

@Puddleglum, I chuckled when I read your post because to be honest, I had the exact opposite reaction. I am so sick to death of superhero movies. I haven't seen the last several that have come out and have no plan to really because they're all the same... But Guardians of the Galaxy looked quirky and fresh and different. I'm kind of interested in it, but like all movies anymore, I'm waiting for reviews before I make a decision.

The Cymru household is very excited about this movie. It looks like an American film with a British sense of humor - very Douglas Adams. I would personally love to see Rocket Raccoon and Tony Stark in the same room. It's very Dirty Dozen, yes - and Star Lord looks rude - but so was Han Solo - and the Empire deserved the rudeness it got. I don't know anything about these comics, but I'm interested! The buzz in Hollywood for the last 10 months or so has been that they didn't know how to take the script at first (always a good sign, imho) but once it started filming, the buzz was good. Very very good. They're kinda freakin out about it.

Marvel has been pretty brilliant so far but this could admittedly be a dud. I'm with you. I have hope, but will hold on and just see for myself. I do appreciate the risk...
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 21, 2014 11:41 am

Anyone else interested in the new King Arthur movies that are in the works?

I'm a huge, although new-ish, fan of Arthurian legend, so I'll be watching this progress with great interest. I'm not terribly enthused with Guy Ritchie directing, because I didn't like his Sherlock Holmes movies but I'll reserve judgement.

I'm really hoping this film series will go back to the medieval/Romantic Revival method of telling the Arthur stories i.e. with magic, chivalry etc. instead of another attempt to ground the story in historical reality.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 23, 2014 10:45 am

That article was very interesting, Reepicheep.

I like the idea of starting off a series of films with Arthur as a young boy and then watching him mature. I've always been a big fan of T.H. White's The Sword in the Stone, as well as the lighthearted Disney film version from the 70's, because it's an interesting imagining of what Arthur was like before he pulled the sword from the stone and became king. I don't know if they've ever done a live action movie like that before.

The comparisons between Harry Potter and King Arthur are intriguing; I hadn't thought of those similarities before! I hope that they go the magic and chivalry route as well. That would be a breath of fresh air in cinema.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby 220chrisTian » Jun 23, 2014 1:50 pm

@Reepicheep: discuss what you didn't like about the Holmes films in my thread! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934

I like the King Arthur legend as well, but it doesn't matter to me how filmmakers approach it. I've seen "The Sword in the Stone," which I enjoyed but which sometimes seemed downright silly, thanks to Disney. I really liked "First Knight" though. It's one of my favorite films ever.
220chrisTian

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

220chrisTian wrote:@Reepicheep: discuss what you didn't like about the Holmes films in my thread! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934

I don't know enough about Sherlock Holmes to add much to the discussion. I've only watched the new movies, and it's been a while. Sorry. :(
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 220chrisTian » Jun 26, 2014 2:07 pm

@Reepicheep: that's okay! Just contribute what you can. My post to my own thread, published today, is below. :)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7934&p=276348#p276348
220chrisTian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Being a big fan of Tangled and Frozen (Tangled more so), I've been watching the development of the next fairytale animated film from the House of Mouse: Giants, set to release in 2016. Unsurprisingly, it's their take on Jack and the Beanstalk.

This article, released back in August of last year, has a lot of interesting tidbits about the plot and characters, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if the film has changed a lot by the time 2016 rolls around. (In May 2013, barely six months before the release of Frozen, they released a summary saying that Anna would battle an army of snowmen, something that clearly didn't happen in the movie.) I would bet money on this "Angelina" girl having something to do with the magic harp, though. Angels and harps kind of go together.

Hopefully, it will be very character-driven and will offer a unique, creative spin on the familiar fairytale. I thought Tangled was great in both of those respects, and I have pretty high hopes for Giants since one of the directors from Tangled is at the helm.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jul 10, 2014 12:09 am

So....the "Exodus: Gods and Kings" trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB6LBwGX9ns
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

I didn't say much in this article on my new blog, but I did like the trailer - its cinematography and scope. Scott has an eye for detail. I just hope it doesn't take biblical liberties like "Noah." Moses was 80 when he appeared before Pharaoh, so I hope they make Christian Bale look old. Otherwise, bad chronology!

http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... and-kings/
220chrisTian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 13, 2014 6:08 pm

MinotaurforAslan wrote:So....the "Exodus: Gods and Kings" trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB6LBwGX9ns

Well, that was very... interesting. I didn't really expect the battle scenes, though really, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I also think that Christian Bale looks kind of out-of-place in Egyptian society, compared to clean-shaven and makeup-wearing Ramses, though it's possible that all of that all of those scenes are from after Moses returned to Egypt. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how audiences respond to this one, and it will be interesting to see how the film presents the contentious "God hardened Pharoah's heart" aspect of Exodus. You really can't tell very much about the quality of a film from the trailer, but the movie looks pretty good from a visual standpoint.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

PreviousNext