This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Picture-Perfect: the aspiring photographer

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Picture-Perfect: the aspiring photographer

Postby johobbit » Aug 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Welcome to the Photography thread! As has been seen, there are a lot of excellent photographers on NarniaWeb. :ymapplause:

Comments and suggestions are important to a thread such as this, but remember, it's not about judging anyone... this is an opportunity to encourage aspiring photographers (or professionals - if we have any here) by sharing your work with others. Feel free to post technical tips or camera specifications if you like.

Please post only original works.

All photos must be kept under 800x600 resolution.

If you post actual photos instead of links, there is a limit of 4 photos per post. This will cut down loading times for those users still stuck on dial-up internet.

Enjoy! :)
johobbit

Re: Picture-Perfect: the aspiring photographer

Postby MeadowMaid » Sep 04, 2009 6:54 am

Yayh! First post. :D

After a rainfall:

avy & sig made by Valia. Thanks sis! :)
MeadowMaid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Neat pic! :D I love photography! Here's a couple of my own pics...

Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Queen of Narnia » Sep 05, 2009 11:46 am

MeadowMaid, the place in your picture is the place I want to go for a walk! Or even better: riding at this place on horseback! The sunlight is wonderful, thank you for taking this wonderful pic!

Silvertongue, the first one is just like a shot a photographer of the Discovery Channel could take. So beautiful! Next time you could ask a nice ladybug if it wants to model for you on such a culm. Tell it you'll pay for this job. :D
The last one is stunning! Is that a sea infront of the sun? And how did you get it done to get such wonderful colors? Did you use the 'night mood' in your camera?

Two shots I took in London's Hyde park. This was last year in May.
One of the beautiful flowers there:

And one of the Queen's guard (they're training their horses in the Hyde park):

Queen of Narnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Meadow Maid... Beautiful picture! Rain is so calming... to me at least. :-)

Silvertongue: Wow! :-o ;-) Very nice!! They are both gorgeous! Looks like you have a pretty classy camera. ;-) J/K
But they do look very nice and clear. :-D

Very cool pictures, Queen of Narnia!! Where I live, it would be amazing to see the Queen's guards training in a park... Maybe because the country I live in doesn't really have a queen... ;-)

And I'll post a picture too... This was taken less then a year ago at a campground. The sun was shining through the trees... It was a lot prettier in real life. :p *laugh*
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Sleepwalking » Sep 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Here's a few of my photos I took this summer with my new camera...I tend to enjoy taking photos of plants best, but I did get one that I particularly like of my bird Lefty. =) (I'm having issues posting the images, so I'll just post the URLs)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/jadefirefly/IMG_0091.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/jadefirefly/IMG_0237-1.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/jadefirefly/IMG_0187.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/jadefirefly/IMG_0126.jpg
NW sibs: MissAravis, evenstar101, Heroine of Chivalry
Twin: winterlife
Sleepwalking
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 07, 2009 6:17 am

Queen of Narnia, thanks! :) Lol...if I see a ladybug, I'll be sure to hire it. ;)
Actually the picture of the sun was taken standing on our hill, looking out over our town. It was the most gorgeous sunset I have ever seen...the coloring in in the pic. is just a bit of what you could see. :) That isn't the sea in front of the sun (though, when I looked at it again and it does look like it's behind the sea! :D)...it's just the sky, with the tips of trees peeking up in front. :) And the clouds make it appear like the sea. :) I used my auto setting, actually. :)
Your first pic. is gorgeous!! And the 2nd is very cool...:D I'd LOVE to visit London's Hyde Park someday! *dreams* :D

Queen Susan: lol. Thanks...actually, I like to think my camera is classy. ;) Even gave him a name. lol. What kind of camera do you have? That is one GORGEOUS shot!! I love the lighting!

Those are some awesomely beautiful pictures, Sleepwalking]!

This is one I took in early spring...

And this one I took last month, when I was in New York...my friends and I visited an old, British fort, which was absolutely cool. :D
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Yay, a new Photography thread! :D

I'm not a serious photographer; I use a digital camera and I'm very so-so at it. ;)) But I love beauty and I love capturing it, and I love that Photoshop can cover a multitude of sins. ;) Here's a few of my favorite pictures that I've taken to date.

This was taken last October in Egg Harbor, Wisconsin. It was beautiful up there. Those are two of my younger sisters, and I love how crisp the sky and sand came out.

Again in Egg Harbor, this is an apple tree at sunset on a friend's farm. That shot was more luck than anything; like I said, I'm not a photographer. But I LOVE how it came out, and the sunset was spectacular. You can't see it as much in this rendering, but I may post a SOOC shot later on.

Down on the Sacramento River this July. It was sunset and sooooooooo beautiful! (Can you tell I like sunsets? ;) )

Same location, and that's Lady Arwen! :D I love the ripples in the water.

I didn't actually take this photo; Lady Arwen did. Isn't it fantastic? That's me, and I LOVE how it came out. Bravo, LA! :-bd

Well, that's all my photos for now. :) As you can see, I'm very much more of a locations photographer than a people photographer. Like I said, I love capturing the beauty of God's creation, and it's great because one doesn't have to be a particularly good photographer to do that; the scenery is usually so pretty that nobody cares! ;)
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Sleepwalking » Sep 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks, Silvertongue! =)

Gymfan15, those are awesome photos! I especially love the second one of the tree =D

I don't have anything new to post right now, but the fall colors here are so beautiful that I'll probably have something to show later in the week ;)
Sleepwalking
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Queen of Narnia » Sep 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Silvertongue Thanks for the explanation! It really looked like a sea to me. :)
I like the pic of the flowers you posted, too. The colors are so sharp, I can almost smell them! :)
The photo of the flag is amazing! I really like the shapes of the clouds! You took the pic out of the perfect perspective! :ymapplause:

Gymfan15 amazing!! The colors, the varying moods... Have you ever thought of creating your own illustrated-book or a calendar? I'd for sure be one of the first persons to buy it! :D

That's a pic I took about a month ago at a renaissance festival which took place near where I live. Cool dogs have to wear sunglasses! B-)

It would be interesting to know what cameras you guys use? I have a sony alpha350 :)
Queen of Narnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby loper42 » Sep 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Silvertongue those are fantastic! I love how they just pull you into the scene.

Gymfan15 lovely photography! Everyone's very talented here.

I don't have any photographs to post sadly, but I will have camera soon hopefully.

Photobucket
Livejournal
loper42
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Sleepwalking » Sep 08, 2009 2:06 pm

I personally have a Canon A340...not the fanciest camera, but it works fine for me lol. I'm not too serious about photography but I enjoy it when I do get a good picture. x)

Here's a couple pictures I took last night - I like the first one best, I think. It's kind of a weird angle but I like the colors.

Sleepwalking
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Tiana » Sep 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Here is a picture that I took the other day. It didn't come out quite how I would have liked it to, but it's alright.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”
Tiana
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Wednesday Wonder (BC)

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Sleepwalking; Very pretty! I love it when the pictures are "crystal" clear like that. :-)

Silvertongue wrote:What kind of camera do you have? That is one GORGEOUS shot!! I love the lighting!
Thank you! :) *misses the old blushing emoticon which looked like it was blushing thankfully* ;)
I'm actually not quite sure what the camera is. :ymblushing: I know it's Canon... And a 4.0 zoom I believe. Ah, here's something that looks like it: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-A520-Digital-Optical/dp/B0007MVHZS :-) Actually, I share the camera with my 3 younger brothers. We "inherited" it from our 4 older siblings. ;)) It's a few years old, but still works dandy. :p
I love the picture of the flag! The wind rippling through it is really cool. :D

Gymfan; *gasp* :-o ;) I love the picture of the apple tree!!! Silhouettes (and semi-silhouettes) ;-) Are really cool in my opinion. All the other pictures you posted were awesome as well, especially the last two by the lake. But I must say, the apple tree is probably my favorite. :-)

Queen of Narnia; =)) Great picture of the dog. ;))

Sleepwalking; I love the first picture you posted of the leaves! Ah, I'm looking forward to Fall. :-) :-D

Ti'ana; Very nice and clear and closeup! If it wasn't for the faded reflection of the camera in it, it'd be about perfect, IMHO. ;))

Edit: All right, here are some pictures we recently took on vacation. I'm pretty sure I took them all, (with 2 different cameras, ours and my Dad's, which has much better quality) except the first one. I don't know who took that one. :-)

1. Image 2. Image 3. Image
4. Image 5. Image 6. Image
7. Image 8. Image 9. Image
10. Image 11. Image

I know some of them are rather dark, etc. (The second to the last one for example.) But on those, I LOVE the sky.... so I had to post them. :p

Comments are appreciated! :-D
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby RubyGamgee » Sep 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Yay! I found the photography forum! It was kind of hard, though, since it isn't moving very fast. :P

Wow! I am really, really impressed with all the stuff on here! All you guys' and girls' pictures are gorgeous! :D :)

Well, here are the most recent pictures that I have taken. :) Sad to say, I do not know what these flowers are called. :(

EDIT: Pictures removed from Photobucket
blog | graphics | youtube channel
member of the Tenth Ave. North club
Keeper of the Secret Magic
1 Peter 3:15
RubyGamgee
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Very gorgeous pictures, Ruby!!! I especially love the pink ones in the last two!! :D
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Next