This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Album Two

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Favorite Music: Album Two

Postby The Pendragon » Sep 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Aslanisthebest wrote:The latest new band I discovered was The Oh Hello's. I've been into an indie rock mood, and their music hit the spot. They are indie folk/indie rock. The sound is a lot like Mumford & Sons, except the melody is a bit smoother. My favourite songs are the Narnia-themed (!!! ) "The Lament of Eustace Scrubb" which is lovely - violins, guitar, and other wild-sounding instruments that I can not identify but whose sound I adore.
Another one that I really liked by them was "Second Child, Restless Child." The harmony at the end is gorgeous.

I love this band! Those two songs are really good! I think my favorites are "In Memoriam", "Like the Dawn", and "The Truth Was a Cave". They're like the Christian Mumford and Sons :)

RubyGamgee wrote:Have any of you heard of Jenny & Tyler? They are pretty new to the music/Christian music scene, but they are rapidly making their way up my list of favorite artists ever. The depth and creativity of their lyrics pretty much exceeds most Christian artists and their sound is so fun, often really acoustic with a touch of pop and soft rock. Some of my favorite songs from them right now include "One Eyed Cat", "The Past Don't Own Us Anymore", and "Skyline Hill".

Glad you like them! I've only heard a few songs, but I really liked them. Especially this one called "All Over Again".

Has anyone heard the new Switchfoot EP "Fading West"? I didn't like it at first, but now I'm obsessed! :D I was a little dissapointed with Vice Verses (it wasn't bad, but I just felt like it could have been better), but these songs are really awesome! You can listen to them all on youtube.

Fading West - This is a bonus song, but its the title track. This songs feels a lot like their older stuff (Old Borego, Rebuild), with an acousticy feel and catchy chorus. Love it!

Love Alone is Worth the Fight - I didn't like this one at first, but after a couple listens, I was hooked! This one was on repeat for about 10 listens :p Its got a very "pop" feel, but they really pull it off well!

Ba55 - This song is so different than anything they've done! It sounds a bit like Mutemath, but its obviously Switchfoot. :) I like the other 2 above better, but its still good!

Who We Are - This one is the lead single, and my least favorite. :( I'm not super into it, but I feel like with more listens I'll like it more.

My family and I have really been into this album called "Weight of Glory" by Heath Mcnease. Each song is inspired by a book by C.S. Lewis, not really about the book exactly, but his takeaway from the book. Each song is amazing and if you love C.S. Lewis and folksy songs, check it out on Noisetrade here. Its hard to narrow down my favorites cause I love them all, but I'd say ones to first listen to are "The Great Divorce", "The Screwtape Letters", and "Surprised by Joy".

He also has a song called "Calls That Never Come" that has a hilarious music video! He has quite the sense of humor :p "Tell me more about Pinterest. It sounds so...pinteresting." :p

I've also been into a couple songs by Jon Thurlow called "Confidence in Love" and "Jesus, You're Beautiful". Such pretty and uplifting songs! I've also been loving a song from Bethel called "You Know Me". There's also a song from Tal and Acacia's new album called "If You Think" that is amazing! It has a perfect fall sound :)
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Oct 22, 2013 2:01 pm

City Harbor's single, Come However You Are, is finally online! I am really looking forward to February 4 and their debut CD. :)

Jason Gray's new single, With Every Act of Love, was released today! :D And it is totally awesome! B-)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 02, 2013 9:26 pm

The Pendragon, you're the first person I've met who knows who The Oh Hello's are! I think I still need to hear the other songs on their album; I kind of got obsessed with "The Lament of Eustace Scrubb" and "Second Child." ;))

I recently heard Coldplay's new single, "Atlas." It is very lovely; I can't believe the chord progressions. (A C# minor, Bb minor, and E major in the same song? :-o ) It's for Catching Fire, I believe. I'm not a fan-fan of the Hunger Games, but the song captured what I did like about the books, specifically the weight Katniss had to carry.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Arwenel » Nov 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I've been listening to Soldatino on repeat for the past couple days. It's a fan-written and performed song for Nico from the Percy Jackson books. It's absolutely beautiful, highly recommended.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby Queen Susan » Nov 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Ooh, some inspiration from this thread for checking out some new music... Specifically, Coldplay and Switchfoot. Thanks guys. :D

My recent "obsession" has been Gregory Alan Isakov and music in that genre, though I'm not completely sure what that would be classified as. Hipster Folk? ;) It's pretty laid back and reminds me of Road Trips and Christmas/Winter. (It's not actually Christmas music.)

Also Lifehouse.

Do you guys have favorite Christmas music? I always enjoy Josh Groban : Noel and Relient K's 2 Christmas albums.
EDIT: Thanks Jo for the post below. :)
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby johobbit » Dec 06, 2013 12:36 pm

*prods Queen Susan toward The Music of Christmas topic* ;)
johobbit

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm

New single by Francesca Battistelli called Write Your Story! Image

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 06, 2014 5:07 pm

My favourite songs for 2013:

15. NeedToBreathe - Something Beautiful
14. Phil Collins - Easy Lover
13. Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You
12. Flyleaf - Bury Your Heart
11. Regina Spektor - The Call
10. Impending Doom - Death Will Reign
9. We as Human - Take the Bullets Away
8. Breaking Benjamin - Dance With The Devil
7. Linkin Park - In The End
6. Pop Evil - Trenches
5. Nine Lashes - Break The World
4. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
3. For Today - Pariah
2. The Letter Black - Devil on Your Back
1. Skillet - Circus For a Psycho

My favourite artist for 2013 would have to be Phil Collins. I've only recently got into his music and now I can't stop listening to him! Easy Lover and You'll Be in My Heart are currently my favourites.

Edited
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jan 07, 2014 5:59 am

Don't you mean 'for 2013'? Favourites songs of 2013 suggests that those songs were released last year and while I don't recognise all those listed, most of them were definitely released prior to then.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 07, 2014 9:46 am

Why of course, silly me!
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby shastastwin » Jan 16, 2014 7:37 am

One of my recent discoveries has been the C.S. Lewis-inspired album The Weight of Glory by Heath McNease. It's a fun, mellow-sounding album with songs that work with themes from Lewis' fiction and nonfiction, including Narnia, the Space Trilogy, and Till We Have Faces. Even better, McNease has released it through NoiseTrade, a site where artists offer their music for free, though you can offer a donation if you so choose. He's also apparently released a second version of the album which is a "hip hop remix" of the original. I haven't looked into that one yet, but I highly recommend taking a listen to the first version. :)

You can find it on McNease's NoiseTrade profile here.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby narnian1 » Jan 29, 2014 7:27 pm

SnowAngel wrote:New single by Francesca Battistelli called Write Your Story! Image

SnowAngel

I hear you! I've been listening to it a lot! I love it. More so because it doesn't sound identical to all her previous stuff, but the lyrics are just as good. :)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 30, 2014 2:13 pm

narnian1 wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:New single by Francesca Battistelli called Write Your Story! Image
SnowAngel

I hear you! I've been listening to it a lot! I love it. More so because it doesn't sound identical to all her previous stuff, but the lyrics are just as good. :)

It's such a fabulous song. Moving talk going around here, it's good song for me right now.

Listening to Jamie Grace's new CD, Ready To Fly, for the first time! Love it! :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby johobbit » Jan 31, 2014 12:31 pm

shastastwin, as you know, I am verrrry interested McNease's CSL-inspired "The Weight of Glory" CD, and hope to pick it up over the next month or so. I have heard snippets of some songs, and I think I will like it very much. Of course, one cannot go wrong with the subject material. :D
johobbit

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 05, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm really digging Chvrches right now. I've been listening to "The Bones of What You Believe" repeatedly, especially the first song "The Mother We Share".
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Feb 18, 2014 2:31 pm

"The Weight of Glory" sounds really interesting. I'll have to check that out.

I've been in an indie folk mood for the past couple months. I have been listening to some random stuff in that genre. I discovered Andrew Bird; his music is kind of indie, but some of it is folk/instrumental. He's one of those artists with such an extensive discography and music background that it's taking me several months to make up my mind about whether I like his music or not. ;)) I liked "Night Sky" and "Pulaski at Night" by him, so far. He's a really, really good violinist.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext