This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Album Two

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Favorite Music: Album Two

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 27, 2010 7:43 pm

narnian1: nice list there, here's mine

1 The Rocket Summer 150
2 Relient K 129
3 Deas Vail 84
4 Owl City 68
5 Leeland 65
6 VeggieTales 62
7 Skillet 57
8 Michael W. Smith 54
9 tobyMac 45
10 Anberlin 32
10 Focus on the Family 32
12 Tenth Avenue North 31
13 C. S. Lewis 27
14 Mark McKenzie 23
15 Switchfoot 22

I use scrobble so this is from my iTunes really. I share the iTunes with the family which is why some of those artists are higher than others (like Switchfoot being lower than MWS :p . It's not like that on my iPod :p )
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Mar 27, 2010 8:02 pm

GTG nice list. don't recognize them all though.
Veggie Tales :x
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mar 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Yes, C.S. Lewis is a brilliant singer! :D
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby MissAravis » Mar 28, 2010 9:38 am

Narnian1, you're a very well-rounded listener. Good for you! What's your username? Sadly, my charts are pretty skewed because I'm such an obsessive fan of my top 4 artists :P TAN might have been on top if they had more songs, but my top 3 just have so many more albums out that they're inevitably going to get more plays.
Here are my 15...

1 Relient K 4,157
2 Switchfoot 1,470
3 The Rocket Summer 1,362
4 Tenth Avenue North 1,315
5 Owl City 807
6 Copeland 486
7 Mae 483
8 Sanctus Real 426
9 Falling Up 388
10 This Beautiful Republic 374
11 Danyew 335
12 Britt Nicole 307
13 Jon Foreman 263
14 Deas Vail 256
15 Anberlin 249

I went through phases of being addicted to Britt Nicole, TBR, and Falling Up and I am no longer totally obsessed with them even though I still love their music... so my charts don't quite reflect my current taste. Imogen Heap would probably be my #1 artist if I hadn't lost most of my play counts when I switched computers last year(about 2 years ago she was all I listened to for months. lol)
I don't talk about him much, but I totally love Danyew. I wish he would release a full-length album already!

The Owl City music video didn't quite meet up to my expectations. I was expecting something really clever (after all, it's Adam Young. haha) and it was a nice video but definitely nothing too special. And Shaq mouthing "Take me with you" was pretty cheesy.

Lark, thanks for the link to Canopy Red. I'll listen to them and let you know what I think!

Kate, I love Rewind. It's an amazing song. Also from All The Houses I'm pretty fond of A Lover's Charm. Something about that one really enchants me. Anything You Say is awesome; I love the piano in it. Life In These Little Boats is very nice too. The whole albums is worth buying for sure.
It's hard to pick favorites from Weathervanes! Hannah is amazing. I love how the lyrics just roll off his tongue in the verses. Starring is a fun one. Location might be my top song on the album.
I definitely would like to get Vagabonds next week if at all possible! I'm trying to familiarize myself with all their other music right now before the album is released.
Oh, that's good to hear about the bars. We really have no idea what it will be like, but the show did say all ages (some of the shows didn't) so hopefully it'll be fine!
I dunno, I think I pretty much love every stage of Copeland's music. :P Aaron's voice does sound better later, but I still love his falsetto in their older stuff. ESR might be my favorite album by them. YAMS is quite good... I don't think I can pick a favorite album!

One song by The Morning Light I really like is Books and Letters. I'm not too familiar with their music from the full-length, just the EP.

Lady Liln, ah, every time I see your posts they remind me that I need to get Disappearing World. Or at least listen to it. I still haven't listened to anything from it!
Birds & Cages is more polished and cohesive I think than All The Houses. All The Houses is still an incredible debut album. (unless you count This Place Is Painted Red as their debut. :P)

About female/male vocalists, I think the reason female vocalists can be more annoying is because if they aren't quite on it's more noticeable in a higher range. Little mistakes in a lower register are always more forgivable. And so the female vocalists autotune their voices and they sound annoyingly processed. I wish Lights didn't autotune her voice because I could like it a lot more if she didn't. I enjoy listening to her music so much though that I don't really mind too much. The only female vocalists I listen to regularly are her, Britt Nicole, Imogen Heap, and Regina Spektor. The last 3 are very talented and don't need any autotuning (from what I've heard in live performances).
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 28, 2010 11:37 am

^Britt Nicole I'm pretty sure does autotune her voice. I saw a live preformance of Lost Get Found and she couldn't even sing the "Stand out!" part [-(

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Yes, C.S. Lewis is a brilliant singer! :D

lol, that's from the Narnia audiobooks :)) :p

narnian1: which ones don't you know?
I ♥ veggietales too :x :p
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Mar 28, 2010 4:55 pm

MissAravis wrote:Narnian1, you're a very well-rounded listener. Good for you! What's your username?

Your list has several amazing artists in, but like with GtG there are some I don't know. My username there is joseap84

Glenstorm the Great wrote:The Rocket Summer
Deas Vail
Owl City
Focus on the Family
Mark McKenzie

narnian1: which ones don't you know?

The first two I've never heard of. The third I have but never actually listened to, I heard part of one though I couldn't tell you which song, but it didn't catch my interest. I know the fourth, I'm not sure hoe they would get plays though, confused about that one. Nnot heard of that fifth
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm suprised you haven't heard of the first two. Alot of people on here like them. If you're interested I can reccomend a few songs :D :p . Owl City is really fun and happy- I like his music alot :) . Focus on the Family would be audiobooks by them. Mark McKenzie is a composer, he wrote the soundtrack for one of my favorite movies "Saving Sarah Cain". :)
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Mar 28, 2010 5:14 pm

I thought Saving Sarah Cain was a great movie, and Barlow Girl's Here's My Life is in it. yes the music in that movie was good. Recommendations for the first two would be nice, can't promise I'll get to them right away but I will get to them.

oh, and since MissAravis did top 15, let me finish mine off with #s 9-15 :D :

9 Skillet 642
10 BarlowGirl 575
11 Leeland 571
12 Needtobreathe 490
13 Newsboys 482
14 Superchic[k] 433
15 David Crowder Band 422
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MissAravis » Mar 28, 2010 5:50 pm

GtG: Ok, well it must have been an off day for Britt. :P I've heard several other live recordings of her and her voice was phenomenal.
There are a couple parts where she autotunes in her records but that's obviously done on purpose to give it a certain sound.

Narnian1: I tried going to your page, and it said your username didn't exist.. are you sure that's right? ;)
Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't heard of The Rocket Summer or Deas Vail. We discuss them a lot in this thread! :P
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Mar 28, 2010 5:55 pm

MissAravis wrote:
Narnian1: I tried going to your page, and it said your username didn't exist.. are you sure that's right? ;)
Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't heard of The Rocket Summer or Deas Vail. We discuss them a lot in this thread! :P

that's right! I deleted that on and made a new one. oops :ymblushing:
it's ja84perez
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MissAravis » Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

^ Ok coolness. I added you. :D Your library is pretty awesome.

All right, here is some Switchfoot news. Dun Dun Dun!

Jeanna from Land of Broken Hearts wrote:LOBH Exclusive:
Before I start, let me just say that yes, this is all officially confirmed (Thanks Tim! - yeah, sometimes the guys e-mail in news too.) and more info will be released as time goes on. Now... here we go!
- The Sound will be the second Switchfoot single (and will be released on April 26th).
- There will be a music video filmed for the single.
- It WILL be a "legit" music video - in fact, there have already been some early treatments drawn up for this video, though there is nothing concrete yet.
- But this video will NOT be filmed by Jennifer Love Hewitt. No? No.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt will direct the video for the *THIRD* Switchfoot single which will be... *drum roll* "Your Love Is A Song".
- That music video? That one will be, and I quote, a "legit, legit" music video.
- The guys have already met several times with JLH (turns out she's been a Switchfoot fan for a long time) and are working on treatments for the video.
- All together now? AKEE!

Sounds cool to me.

Some news about the guys from Falling Up... their frontman Jessy Ribordy and their drummer Josh Shroy now apparently are working on this project called The River Empires. It's supposed to be like a soundtrack for some movie? Check out http://www.theriverempires.com/ and http://www.myspace.com/theriverempires . Kind of interesting stuff. VERY different sound from Falling Up.
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 28, 2010 7:12 pm

^cool I'll ahve to listen. Cool about the vids too :D
Kat wrote:GtG: Ok, well it must have been an off day for Britt. :p I've heard several other live recordings of her and her voice was phenomenal.
There are a couple parts where she autotunes in her records but that's obviously done on purpose to give it a certain sound.

well it was a live preformance on KLove but whatever :p

narnian1: I added you as a friend as well :)

Reccomendations
Deas Vail:
Shoreline
Birds
Cages
Dance in Perfect Time
Atlantis
Rewind
The Great Physician
The Leaper
White Lights
Surface
Light as Air

The Rocket Summer:
Do You Feel
So Much Love
Break it Out
You Gotta Believe
Roses
Nothing Matters
Of Men and Angels
Japanese Exchange Student
Pull Myself Together (Don't Hate Me)
The Fight

alot I know but try to listen to them all :p :D
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Mar 28, 2010 7:21 pm

that is a lot, but I will try.
Switchfoot news sounds great too. I have found with that Cd that my early favorites turned out to be my lesser liked. my early lesser songs turned out to be the best! :D

accepted both ;)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby The Pendragon » Mar 28, 2010 9:54 pm

I am REALLY excited about the new music videos!!! :D Now that they are actually doing REAL music videos, not just concert footage.

I find that I always go back to the artists that got me into music in the first place. And right now, I'm on a Sara Groves kick. She is SO amazing! I love her stuff cause it's so pure, & relaxing, & beautifully genius! :) I am obsessed with Different Kinds of Happy! It's so sweet & beautiful. :)

I heard my first Mae song today! I know! I'm REALLY slow... but I'm getting there! :p The song was The Ocean, & I really liked it! :) I thought they would be more like Anberlin for some reason, but this song was fairly peaceful. ;))
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kate » Mar 29, 2010 12:12 am

The Pendragon: Mae is more like Copeland or Deas Vail than Anberlin. But I love them a lot. I still think that The Everglow is the most perfect album I've ever heard.

Kat: Thanks for the Freelance Whales recs, I'll check them out.

I just returned home from Copeland's Farewell Tour! It was so great. Deas Vail played first and they played amazingly well, as always. They played through 7 songs off of Birds & Cages really quickly. Since there were 4 acts, they didn't get a lot of time. My friends and I were some of the only DV fans there, at one point, Justin realized that the 4 of us were singing along and came over and played to us and sang, which was really cool. After their set, though my friends and I talked to Wes for a while at the merch table. My three friends were at the concert almost exclusively for Deas Vail and Wes was surprised at how enthusiastic they were about Deas Vail. Two of my friends are seeing Owl City in a little bit and they were saying how they were sad DV wouldn't be with them anymore, and Wes was super unenthusiastic about Owl City. He made it pretty clear that OC just isn't really his cup of tea. ;))

Person L went next and they were pretty unextraordinary. They had two drummers though, which was interesting. Then I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business went and I enjoyed his set. Ace Enders is very winsome and fun. I bought his new album when Amazon messed up and sold the whole thing for 99 cents, so I recognized some of the new songs.

Finally Copeland went. I really came to appreciate how good Deas Vail is. They really know how to balance live energy with staying true to their recorded sound. Copeland's set sounded mostly like all my favorite Copeland songs on steroids, as fierce rock songs. Aaron Marsh is pretty awkward too. But they slowed things down for "The Day I Lost My Voice (The Suitcase Song)." The highlights were surprising. "Suitcase" was really good, as was Aaron's encore solo "Brightest," and a surprisingly effective high energy "The Safest Ledge," and the already rockish "No One Really Wins." They played a lot of older songs, which was too bad, because I really prefer their two most recent albums, but oh well. And I got a tshirt, which is super awesome.

I'm going to write an official show review for The Album Project, which I'll link to when it's posted, but I wanted to share some immediate thoughts.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 29, 2010 10:31 am

^that's so cool about getting to meet Wes! And Justin playing to you guys! Awesome! Too bad Wes doesn't like Owl City- I love them both :p . Did he say why? But, wow that whole thing just sounds so cool! Aaah you're so lucky! :p
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext