This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby Mother-Music » Sep 19, 2009 6:46 am

Have a lot to do today, but would rather be posting... ;)

As I answer, please keep in mind that I have an advantage over most of you because I've had a lot longer to be involved with music than most of you have...iow, it's just age, not talent.

I play or play with; all the woodwinds except bassoon, piano and guitar.

I am a vocalist, and when I finish (soon!) my degree, that is what it will say. When returning to school I decided to choose voice because I knew I would be traveling a lot back and forth to campus and also that I could sing while driving.

How long have you been playing? Since I was 8, which is 40+ years...but although throughout my life I have always been involved in music in one way or another, I have not become truly proficient in any instrument except voice.

Have you performed in public? Many, many times. My daughter and son and I even did public performances for pay for awhile...with me on flute, daughter (linatariel from these boards, actually) on harp, son on bodhran or other percussion. We had a celtic-inspired sound and played a lot of Christmas music. Dr. Elwin Ransom from these boards broke up the group, however, by marrying linatariel and taking her 1000 miles away. I'll forgive him one day, maybe. ;)

Right now I am in the process of finishing up my degree, as I said. This semester I'll be giving my senior recital. Lots of practicing!

Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Hammered dulcimer...

What type of music do you prefer to play? The best stuff for the instruments I play is classical or jazz. Mostly I play for fun--but I teach as a vocation.

Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Have a few snippets I have never developed. Wrote 'em down for posterity, though.

mm
Mother-Music
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Susanswodahs » Sep 19, 2009 9:24 pm

How long have you been playing? I play French Horn, and this will be my Fifth year playing. This is also the Second year I've played Mellophone. I've been singing since I was extremely young.
Have you performed in public? The closest I've gotten is School proformances. As soon as I get the chance I'm planning on doing something else thats actually public. (I feel kinda lame now...)
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Guitar... but thats not likely to happen... Ummm... I wouldn't mind playing... Nope Love the French Horn too much. I think I'm gonna stay loyal to it. :)
What type of music do you prefer to play? I usually sing stuff from bands like Paramore and Evanescence, but for the horn I've been trying to get my teachers to do a piece from either Narnia or Harry Potter for quite some time now.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Not exactly... I will write little bits of songs but I've never written more than something that would go in a chorus of a song.
Susanswodahs
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Awesome, I play French Horn, but I just started last year. I'm a bit more loyal to violin than I am my other instruments. (french horn, clarinet, piano)
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Ok... :ymblushing: Here's another video of mine. Look at the description for-well-the description. ;)) This is the first video I've ever posted of myself singing. :p And... I sound like a little kid. ;) ;))

So anyway. Here it is. :ymblushing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0aUkiFVEs&feature=channel
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby MissAravis » Sep 21, 2009 3:35 pm

I love your composition, Queen Susan! It's beautiful! The way it opens quietly and sort of builds is really cool.
Aaand, I think your voice sounds great in your newest one. Did you record harmonies with the melody too? Since I'm guessing you can do this on garageband, I'd recommend trying to edit the vocal track with the equalizer and select "reduce 'S'" - it gets rid of some of the fuzzy background noise. :)
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks for your comments, Kat!! :-) Also--thanks for the suggestion about the fuzziness. :p I'll have to see if I can figure that out! (And try it of course.) Because yes, that can be a problem. ;))

And- I did record "harmonies" as well. But I'm pretty sure I just made them up on the spot or something. ;)) So it's not too--"professional" or anything. :p ;)
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby wisewoman » Sep 27, 2009 11:01 am

I like both your videos, Queen Susan! You have a very sweet, pure tone to your voice. I love the melody for "Under the Weeping Willow." Lovely.

You made up your harmonies on the spot? I wish I could do that! There are a few rough spots but overall this is really good. Nice job :ymapplause:
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 28, 2009 2:42 pm

That was on the spot? Very nice talent! And I don't think your voice sounded like a little kid's.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Thank you, both wisewoman and NaiadWaker! :-)

I hate to bug you, Kat... :ymblushing: :ymblushing: --But I'm just curious--again-- if there's anything new on sheet music for Beloved or Hold My Heart? :ymblushing: Sorry--I know life is busy!! I'm just curious. :p
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby MissAravis » Oct 03, 2009 9:01 am

Queen Susan wrote:I hate to bug you, Kat... :ymblushing: :ymblushing: --But I'm just curious--again-- if there's anything new on sheet music for Beloved or Hold My Heart? :ymblushing: Sorry--I know life is busy!! I'm just curious. :p

Sorry... not yet... ;)) Beloved, Hold My Heart, and Times are 3 songs that I need to transcribe, but I haven't gotten around to getting Sibelius (music notation program) onto my new computer yet so I haven't been able to start working on it. :ymblushing: I really just need to do that...
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby redeemedqueen » Oct 03, 2009 11:45 am

How long have you been playing? Piano off and on for 9 years or so, a LITTLE bit of guitar
Have you performed in public? yep...
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? urm...more guitar...maybe a band instrument like violin...
What type of music do you prefer to play? Anything that I love including classical/movie scores, instrumental contemporary, or arrangements of popular music
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? I've written a few songs, but I think they're kind of dumb after a while...I do a little bit of music arranging...

MISS ARAVIS...Oh My Goodness...I LOVE Times and Hold My Heart...I haven't heard Beloved, though...
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Member of the Edmund and Tenth Avenue North Fan Clubs!!!

Member of the pray for Skandar group - PM Benjamin to join!!!

redeemedqueen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Ok--no problem Kat. ;)) Just let all of us drooling fans know when you've finished. ;) *searches for the drooling emoticon*

=p~ Ah. There it is.

;))
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby MissAravis » Oct 05, 2009 4:14 pm

;)) Which of the three should I start on first?

Here's my piano cover of Relient k's new single "Forget and Not Slow Down" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u01iTasP9UE =P
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby winterlife » Oct 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Could you start with Hold My Heart? I'm probably going to be learning piano, and as it's my favorite... :)
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 06, 2009 9:15 am

Nice cover of "Forget and not Slow Down"! :-) I've never heard the song (maybe I should look it up) :p But your cover was great anyway! ;-)

winterlife already suggested you starting with Hold my Heart. That'd be fine, whatever you want. ;-) Hold My Heart and Beloved would be my top ones... but yeah. Your choice of course.

~ =p~
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby aslansothername » Oct 16, 2009 6:18 pm

I have been playing the piano for 11, almost 12 years, and the flute for 10 years, and I've sung ever since I can remember.

I do most of my "performing" at church, but I also have played in nursing homes, a hospital, and for recitals.

I would like to learn the harp if possible.

I LOVE classical, Celtic, and old Christian music. Soundtrack from my favorite moves are great too!!!!

Compose piano arrangements for hymns, as well as creating my own works on the piano. I have written several songs, but i have only written the piano music for one.
Want to become an informed American teen?
http://www.t4at.webs.com/
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext