This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The MouseHunt Thread: Episode V

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The MouseHunt Thread: Episode V

Postby ceppault » Jul 04, 2014 9:25 am

If nothing else, I visited the Cartographer and acquired the needed item to access the new area. As I have ZERO Molten Glass of the required 90. :D
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Kat wrote:Due to a crazy schedule this week, I'm thinking I'll stay put and farm 02 canisters probably through next Friday. I know that won't net me much in the way of gold, but with my intermittent hunting, I'm hoping to get to at least 100 by then.
Sounds like a good plan to me! That's one nice thing about this area, it's very passive-player-friendly.

DiGs wrote:Yeah, Eli mentioned earlier on that the locations are randomized.
Missed that. But I had kind of come to the same conclusion.

DiGs wrote:I was hoping that Fishy Fromage would increase loot drops of O2, but it hasn't.
Did you by any chance catch the Oxygen Baron? Tom caught an Enginseer and Clumsy Carrier, and they both dropped 2. Maybe they're at least guaranteed to drop some unlike the bottom four which may or may not drop canisters.

DiGs wrote:That much fun, FK, eh? I guess farming O2 it shall be.
I'm only on my first run so I have no idea what to expect, but it definitely seems like after 50 hunts you get to the good (or at least much better) areas.

cep wrote:If nothing else, I visited the Cartographer and acquired the needed item to access the new area. As I have ZERO Molten Glass of the required 90. :D
Hahaha! Well played Paul! :D

A couple questions, does anybody know what the colored dots signify? I was guessing difficulty level, but that doesn't quite seem to match up. Or perhaps the types of fish mice you can attract?
Next question, if I click "Return" to the City, do I get to keep the Oxygen I haven't used up? Haven't seen the answer to this on the forum yet, though I have no doubt it's somewhere on there.

I didn't watch FBF this morning, but since Dave was part of it, he posted a very nice summary on the forum. Spoilers on Behind the Scenes. ;)
https://apps.facebook.com/mousehunt/pro ... d=17010164

ETA:
During this dive, I visited 2 Coral Reefs, 2 Rocky Outcrops, 1 School of Mice, 1 Feeding Grounds, 1 Carnivore Cove, 1 Shipwreck and 1 Coral Garden.
I ended up with 45 pieces of Fishy Fromage, including the freebies from the devs, and I have 109 Coral, 2 Scales, and 128 Barnacles left. So that's what 91 Oxygen Canisters will get you. Actually you'll get a bit farther if you don't use the Empowered Anchor Charms.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby shastastwin » Jul 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Yes, if you return to the City, you'll keep whatever oxygen you haven't used. :)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 04, 2014 7:50 pm

It looks like I'm heading into an area that's called "The Sand Dollar Sea Bar." I haven't seen anybody get into this zone yet, making me think it might be a bit more rare? I plan on disarming overnight so that I stay put. If it's good stuff in there (AKA a lot of sand dollars!) it might be worth the empowered anchor charms to get through.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby starkat » Jul 04, 2014 8:00 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:
Kat wrote:Due to a crazy schedule this week, I'm thinking I'll stay put and farm 02 canisters probably through next Friday. I know that won't net me much in the way of gold, but with my intermittent hunting, I'm hoping to get to at least 100 by then.
Sounds like a good plan to me! That's one nice thing about this area, it's very passive-player-friendly.

A fact for which I am very happy. It's going to be one of those weeks where computer time will be rare. This area strikes me as a twist on the valentine's cruise.
starkat

Postby ceppault » Jul 05, 2014 7:33 am

Gymfan15 wrote:That trap looks sweet. Although it's a strange feeling to have to actively farm points again;

fantasia_kitty wrote:The price on that Hydro trap and upgrade. @-) Whew! That's pricey.

Have the idea this very deliberate to keep the game interesting. Whether that is successful or not is likely a matter of opinion. Got that sense of investment in the game when I acquired my first really cool item, the Monolith Base. Sure, in comparison now, it is not much, but I would never give away it's power - it is so very ... Precious to me :p
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Jul 05, 2014 8:00 am

@stwin, thank you! :)

@DiGs, nope, I did not encounter that area, but your strategy sounds like a very good one. Especially after I took a second look at the cost of those traps and base.

Just to let people know, 45 pieces of Fishy Fromage netted me 86 Oxygen Canisters. So not a profit, and didn't even break even with the 91 I started with. However, it was close, and I think if my next run evens out my Scales, I'll be in really good shape. Going for approximately 120 Canisters before I dive again. :)

ETA: Just started dive #2 with 111 hunts available :) . Keeping track of my locations here for my own personal reference.
Shallow Shoals -> Coral Reef -> School of Mice -> Feeding Grounds -> Shallow Shoals -> Coral Reef -> Shallow Shoals -> Sea Floor -> Mermouse Den -> Shipwreck
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Guys, if you ever use empowered anchor charms, do it in the sand dollar sea bar. It is awesome!!!

I've caught six mice in there and received the following loot:
32 barnacles
32 mouse scales
32 damaged coral fragments
7 sand dollars
2 football footlocker

I think that's pretty awesome for 6 mice :D
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » Jul 05, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm starting my first dive, with 124 hunts available. My first three areas are: Feeding Grounds, Coral Reef, and Sand Dollar Sea Bar. :)

Here's hoping for lots of loot (and gold ;)) ).
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby fantasia » Jul 06, 2014 5:12 am

@DiGs, I admit I was spying on your profile yesterday and you definitely hit pay dirt. :D I shall certainly be stealing your tactic should the game finally put a Sand Dollar area in my way. ;)

Last night, I got a School of Mice area which I desperately needed for the scales. I busted out my Empowered Anchor Charms and just like that I now have a VERY hefty stockpile of Fishy Fromage all ready to go when I get back to the City. :D 102 pieces as of right now to be exact! I am very happy right now, even though the areas they're giving me this run aren't quite as good as my previous run.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby shastastwin » Jul 06, 2014 7:16 am

Well, I made it to the Sand Dollar section just now. I managed to collect 67 pieces of coral in the Coral Reef. There's another Coral Reef after the Sand Dollar section. I've armed my EACs to make the most of the Sand Dollar Section. I've caught 15/60 of the mice in the new area. I'm only missing the Oxygen Baron in the City proper. I'm guessing that there are some mice/fish/mish that are only accessible further out in the ocean, even if they would be in an area that appears earlier on.
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 06, 2014 11:58 am

I'm almost done with my sand dollar sea bar area. I've caught 19 mice in there, and will probably nab 2 or 3 more before I head into the next zone.

I've gotten
113 barnacles
103 mouse scales
107 damaged coral
15 sand dollars

I think that's pretty darn good for one area.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Jul 06, 2014 1:17 pm

stwin wrote:I'm guessing that there are some mice/fish/mish that are only accessible further out in the ocean, even if they would be in an area that appears earlier on.
The areas upgrade with the fish. For example, the bottom level Coral area is called the Coral Reef. The next level up is the Coral Garden. I haven't made it to a top level yet where the big bad mice are, but it looks like each set of mice belongs to a different area. Although I think the Devs said there were 20 areas, and that's not divisible by three, so there's a discrepancy somewhere along the lines.

DiGs wrote:I think that's pretty darn good for one area.
I'll say! :D I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous ;) but I know my time will come so I'll just have to be patient.

My progress this afternoon has been interesting. I entered an area that I dubbed the 'Shallow Shoals purgatory.' It was basically the length of three small sections combined. Ugh... Worst possible place to be stuck in. But a third of the way through it converted to the Sea Floor (which I didn't notice cause there is no white line) and I started catching new mice (which I did notice). But having caught those new available mice and seeing that they really don't drop anything good either, I know the perfect place to use a Water Jet Charm in the future once I obtain one. :P ;)
Coming up on a Mermouse Den which looks quite interesting. :)
I have 22 Oxygen to go so I don't have much longer underwater, but at least I've got my very hefty stockpile of FF to use once I get out of here. :D Yay!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 06, 2014 2:25 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Although I think the Devs said there were 20 areas, and that's not divisible by three, so there's a discrepancy somewhere along the lines.

No - they said that there are more than 20 areas. And I guess it will be possible for them to expand this indefinitely (although I guess that currently they'll work on the next Rift area instead).

The OWN worked surprisingly well in the Sunken City and the default area of my first dive. The catch rate is good. But then the mice there are probably easy :p

Now I have several areas that I need to work on - I'll probably be jumping back and forth a lot. I should perhaps even sit in the Pinnacle Chamber for a while and convert some of my OG cheese to gold ...
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Yeah, I've got less than 40 hunts left on this dive, and then it'll be off to the warpath to nab the last mouse on our map and hopefully get a loot drop to offset some of the large gold costs ;))

And FYI, those massively priced traps are causing SB price to plummet on the marketplace. Buy in bulk and you'll get it for around 4500 gold per piece!

The price of the Chrome phantasmic upgrade kit (which had plummeted to around 7.2 million recently) has gone up to 8.7 million in the past two days. I expect it to go even higher.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby shastastwin » Jul 06, 2014 5:33 pm

I decided after the end of my Sand Dollar section not to waste my oxygen on another Coral area (I'm not hurting for it) and a bland section after it, so I returned to the City to start farming Oxygen for a long, deep dive. I'd like to at least hit the second tier of areas, but I'm going to try to farm enough oxygen for a trek into the farthest areas. I've got 73 oxygen so far, and I'd like at least 500 before I attempt this. I've got 93 Fishy Fromage to start me off, so we'll see how long it takes me to get there. ;))
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

PreviousNext