This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby MissAravis » Sep 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Lol, I just looked at this thread since I last posted in it. ;)) Eru: (Haha! Thanks for sharing the link Queen Susan ;) ) Yeah, it was amazing. I haven't really gotten over it yet... :ymblushing:

Tru: Ahh, I know what those festivals/competitions are like... I think I was also 7 when I did my first one (w/ piano) and I screwed up so badly and didn't get the 'highest' rating and I was so sad about it. =)) Now I think it's hilarious... but I used to always cry after I played in competitions because I thought I did so horribly, and then I would sometimes find that I won anyway. ;)) Are you in high school? If so, have you tried out for all-state orchestra/band with flute?
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Danny93 » Sep 10, 2009 12:47 pm

How long have you been playing? I've been playing piano for around 6 years, and guitar for 3 or 4.... Love them both!!!
Have you performed in public? Yes, I play at church a lot, and that's it except for talent shows here and there...
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Violin most definitely, and then Mandolin and drums... a lot of them...
What type of music do you prefer to play? Contemporary Christian/Praise music is what I play most of the time, since I play for church and stuff. But I've taken classical piano lessons, so I can read notes. YAY!
Do you write music or lyrics of your own?
Some, not a whole lot, but some... :)
"Just like the storm is rolling over this ocean, so is thunder rolling into the hearts of the Celtic People." ~Alistair Dempsey
Rolling Thunder
Avvy by flambeau!!! Join me in making October your denial month! PM me for more information....
Danny93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Miss Aravis: you done any new vid on youtube lately? :)
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian1993 » Sep 15, 2009 10:12 am

How long have you been playing? I've been playing piano for about 12 years. :D
Have you performed in public? I play in church and recitals ;)
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? probably flute and guitar :)
What type of music do you prefer to play? hymns, contemporary christian and praise music. But I do play classical too. :)
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? I've written songs. a couple about Narnia and Lord of the Rings. I'll have to put them up. I really enjoy singing your own songs because you know how they're supposed to go. :))
~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis
Narnian1993
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wisewoman » Sep 15, 2009 5:37 pm

I just found out that my dad *did* get the videos posted from our concert last December! Gotta love the communication ;)). Anyhow, if anyone wants to see, here are some of our live performances. Our band is Ars Poetica, with my dad on the guitar, my younger sister (who sat out this particular song) playing guitar and singing backup vocals, myself singing, and my husband on the keyboard. One of our friends played the congas for us.

As with all live performances, there are plenty of things I would change about my vocals! :ymblushing: Also, the acoustics were a bit rough.

"Taladh Chroisda" and "In Praise of Christmas"

"Walking in the Air"
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby johobbit » Sep 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Amy, this is just so weird. I was jogging in the beautiful cool night air tonight (just got back) and on the way was thinking of the upcoming cooler season, which in turn reminded me of Christmas, which reminded me that you had never posted the videos for this. Seriously! So HURRAH! :ymapplause:

*listens*

Mmmm, they're really, really lovely, Amy. :ymhug: I'm sure they were as much of a blessing to the audience that night as they are to me now. Ooooh, "Walking in the Air" is ... heavenly! It suits your voice so very well. And pass on to miss rae she did a lovely job on the two she played and background vocal-ed for. :) (As did hubby and your dad, of course. (*) )
johobbit

Postby Silver_Blade » Sep 15, 2009 6:28 pm

How long have you been playing? I have been playing the piano for a total of 9 years, I am decent on the piano. That eight years were split in half, age 9-12 and 14-19. I started playing the trump when I was 14 to 19 because of all the crazy braces adjustments :p And I also sing bass, been singing with my family as long as I can remember. My range is from Eb above middle C to the low C below the bass staff line.
Have you performed in public? Yes, for all three. I've done piano recitals, done duets for vocal and played in the bands at my community college for 5 years.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? I would like to play the Euphonium. It has the exact playing style as the trumpet except that it can go wayyyy lower :D
What type of music do you prefer to play? Idk, I've done classical, marches, church, contemporary etc :p
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? I do sing my own songs but mostly without words, not so good at writing it down though
"I am the Dark Lord of the Sith."
Silver_Blade
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MissAravis » Sep 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Erucenindë wrote:Miss Aravis: you done any new vid on youtube lately? :)

Last week I posted another Tenth Avenue North song... (here);)) before that I did a couple by Relient K. But guess what? I think I'm going to do some Sanctus Real. :D I am really getting into them now :)
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Sanctus Real! YES! I love Sanctus Real. :D I would be so happy if you did some of theirs. :)

Hey if you ever open a 10AvNorth concert, let me know. :P I might try and come if it's close enough! :D
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Johobbit wrote:Mmmm, they're really, really lovely, Amy.
Ditto to that! They're absolutely gorgeous! I love your voice! *contented sigh*

Kat wrote:I think I'm going to do some Sanctus Real. :D I am really getting into them now :)
Hooray! Sanctus Real is really good! :-) *hopes Kat does "Benjamin"...*
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby winterlife » Sep 16, 2009 6:19 pm

How long have you been playing? Guitar for two and a half years
Have you performed in public? Yup. I probably average once a week at least for the last year and a half.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? DRUMS! And bass guitar. And probably piano.
What type of music do you prefer to play? Worship and pop, mostly.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Yes. :ymblushing:
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wisewoman » Sep 17, 2009 9:19 am

Jo-Anna, that is seriously crazy! =)) Someday we might morph into one person...

The only reason I found out when I did was because someone posted the sweetest comment on our rendition of "Walking in the Air," and Dad forwarded it to me. I have to yell at him for not telling me he did manage to get those videos up, all the way back in January ;))

I'm glad you guys enjoyed our songs. Thanks for the compliments :)
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby RubyGamgee » Sep 17, 2009 9:29 am

How long have you been playing? I played the violin from about when I was three to when I was twelve, but I haven't played it since then. I'm picking it back up this spring! And I've taught myself piano, which I have been playing for...um...as long as I can remember?

Have you performed in public? Yes, but not recently.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Guitar and viola!

What type of music do you prefer to play? Classical and a little bit of contemporary.

Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Eh, sorta...let's just say I've "attempted" to write music and lyrics of my own. :P
blog | graphics | youtube channel
member of the Tenth Ave. North club
Keeper of the Secret Magic
1 Peter 3:15
RubyGamgee
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 17, 2009 7:55 pm

My latest youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ohn0XadELw&feature=channel_page

:D Comments are nice. ;-) I know it's rather repetitive, (like many of my songs) /:) and also like many of my other songs, I didn't really figure out what I was going to do before I played. I just played. So... yeah.
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby johobbit » Sep 18, 2009 8:58 am

That was beautiful, Queen Susan! You played so flowingly and evenly. Your delivery of the piece seems to come naturally to you. Have you made up other compositions? Keep up the great work!

Our daughter made an instrumental (piano) CD of some of her pieces a few years ago, and she would love to get it orchestrated some day. She can hear in her head what instruments would be used for the different parts. Someday ...

Yes, I thought that was pretty crazy, too, ww. ;)) :D
johobbit

Postby Lady Courage » Sep 18, 2009 7:36 pm

NaiadWaker wrote:How long have you been playing? I've played violin for 4 years...

Lucky you! Do you have a teacher? I just started learned via internet. I'm hoping to get a teacher, because I stink at it!

How long have you been playing? Oh... 5-6 years altogether? Considering my age, that's really sad. :( I've been singing all my life, if that counts. :) Been playing the ocarina for the 5 or 6 years, and that's the only instrument I can confidently say I really play. Oh, well, there's the penny whistle. Piano I've dabbled in most of my life, but I don't play very well. And violin (my desire for years!) I just started learning a few months ago. Unfortunately, I've never had any music lessons.

Have you performed in public? Uh, no. Not really. Played with the church's piano when other people were there, but that's all.

Are there instruments that you don't play that you would like to learn? Guitar!

What type of music do you prefer to play? Classical, hymns, Celtic, movie scores, contemporary Christian and songs from musicals. :)

Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Sometimes... but I haven't in a long time.
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

PreviousNext