This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Wonderful! :) Today is the corresponding autumn equinox Down Under. For five days until yesterday we have had a late summer/early autumn heatwave that just managed to get within a whisker of the 40c on Sunday at any rate. But now we finally have solid rain for 24 hours. I still managed to get around without an umbrella. 8-|
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Mar 23, 2018 4:27 pm

The storm I mentioned in my last post is gearing up to the southwest, but it looks like the Twin Cities and areas to the north and east may not get hit this time. It's just too warm (today's high was a balmy 7C) and dry.

Southern Minnesota and northern Iowa are in the bullseye this time, with heavy wet 'heart attack snow' accumulating up to 12 inches/300mm.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Still snowing up north? We've had an early snowfall in the Australian Alps at Mt Hotham, apparently. But otherwise temperatures still well above average for this time of year. Cyclone Iris is following a track South, parallel to the Queensland Coast, which isn't much use for drought stricken areas in that state and Northern NSW. Just pesky on and off heavy showers for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games which start tomorrow. At least a cooling shower after a hot run shouldn't be too much hardship. :)

Last night we got something like a decent storm. One, just one, almighty flash of lightning, followed seconds later by a roll of thunder, so loud we thought someone had let off a cannon nearby. Then nothing. :-o But we did get a bit more than a drop of rain on and off.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Just got in from shocking the first round of the current storm blowing through. I am still on the watch for the White Witch X(
We actually had a brief few days of seeing the lawn, brown as it was.
The temps are no help either, dropping to the upper 20's F. For the next week. Combined with gusty winds tomorrow make for a good argument to take a nap i-)
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 03, 2018 11:38 am

I need to check the calendar. ;)) It says April but it just keeps snowing. Unlike Puddleglum, the snow never left the yard here, and we've received well over a foot (300mm) of snow in the past week, and even now it's coming down at a good clip. They're calling for an additional 4 inches (100mm) before it ends later today.

April snow is not unusual, but with a few exceptions it's not this much. Temperatures at night are also trying to set records, with northern Minnesota approaching 0F/-17C tonight.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Apr 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Where is global warming when you need it??
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Apr 04, 2018 5:49 am

I think we have more chances for snow this week and weekend than we did all winter.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Apr 07, 2018 9:40 pm

Most of our snow has come in the last half of the winter. More is expected tomorrow, with just a glancing blow in the Twin Cities (1-3 inches) with southern and southwestern Minnesota getting 6 (150mm) or more.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 08, 2018 12:14 am

Grandmama wrote:Where is global warming when you need it??

Down south. There is much concern for the poor old Great Barrier Reef's welfare. Bleaching of coral isn't good. The Commonwealth Games continues apace and at least they are happy. Further Down South in NSW, we are having glorious midsummer weather in what should be mid-autumn. That is to say, compared to the hellishly hot summer weather we did have @47C in the actual mid-summer last December-January. Now maximum temperatures range from 37C all the way down to still salubriously warm temperatures of 27C. An improvement on 47C but still hot nonetheless. Do I get the impression that Northern America has turned into the North Pole??? :-o :(
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 08, 2018 6:04 pm

North Pole, Wagga? It certainly feels like it. But, no Polar Bears have been seen roaming down the city streets, yet. ;) Those in the zoo may actually be wondering if their back home.
As stargazer reported we at getting a glancing blow now. The news stations are already predicting more on the way, but with the temps slowly rising we might see more rain than snow.
Perhaps, with those warmer temps, and melting snow, the robins, and other migratory birds will stop looking so confused :-\
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Last weekend our orange tree broke out in blossom which it hasn't done since the beginning of spring. It is confused, no doubt.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Apr 09, 2018 9:54 am

Meanwhile, our temperatures keep trying to break record lows, coming close but not succeeding. However, Friday we did tie a 79-year-old record for the coldest April 6 ever, with a high temperature of 26F/-3C (the average is up to a toasty 55F/12C now).

We received more snow yesterday, moving us up to the 8th snowiest April on record (at the airport; our location has received more snow).
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 12, 2018 7:39 pm

As the saying goes "Here we go again".
The next band is already cutting across the state as I type this. With the temps in the lower 40's F where The Mrs., and I reside we will get rain first, with snow to follow overnight. Then add the wind tomorrow, aaaaaand, Yes, we have winter again! :-o :-o :(( :(( :(( :((
Some one posted something on another forum yesterday. Claiming that Mother Nature is dressed for the season, and ready. But Father Time is driving, and lost, and refuses to ask directions.
I think perhaps it's more like Father Time is waiting in the car, looking at his watch, while Mother Nature is still deciding which shoes go with her spring outfit.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 14, 2018 10:47 am

;)) Puddleglum

This is a truly remarkable storm. Severe weather extends pretty much north to south across the entire central US, from blizzard conditions here to tornadoes and hail in the far south.

Hurricane-force winds of 78mph/125 km/hr damaged buildings in southwest Minnesota yesterday, and one town reported pea-sized hail accumulation of 2 inches/50mm. It is windy and snowy here in the Twin Cities now, with the main event yet to come this evening and tonight. We may well set the records for snowiest April storm and snowiest month of April. Maybe it will melt by July. ;))
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Down Under, retailers are panicking because all the autumn/winter fashions are out and nobody wants to buy lovely hot overcoats, jumpers etc. B-) #:-s :-o

So far, we've had the hottest April weather ever. We are still in drought and thunderstorms have virtually disappeared. Some days it is unbearably hot and humid, but that has gone with a wind starting up yesterday afternoon. We are promised rainy and stormy weather soon, but it seems it is stuck up North, and Mother Nature is already late for the Southern Hemisphere show down. To think there was a year in 1990-1991, when it was possible to set a watch by 3.00 pm summer/autumn thunderstorms.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Apr 14, 2018 8:09 pm

That's so crazy to think how your weather is hot and dry and we're having such a blast of winter here.
*waves to her fellow popsicles*
In Kansas, the weather is quite bi-polar. Yesterday my kids were outside playing in the wading pool, this morning I went out and the pool had iced over. What??
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext