This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Charles Dickens

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Charles Dickens

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 30, 2009 1:22 pm

lys, I have counting issues. :p Truth is, I wrote that, then realised that I'd read Oliver Twist too and never thought about changing the number...

I think I need to read some more obscure Dickens. The ones FF mention as her favourites sound like good choices... :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Do tell if you read some of the more obscure ones, Mel! :) I personally have enjoyed all of the ones I've read, although I didn't like Barnaby Rudge quite as much.

A friend lent me Nicholas Nickleby, which I'm currently reading. So far it's been interesting, but I think with Dickens, it's still too early to tell whether the story will be "good" or "bad", as I am only 130 pages in.

My sister and I finished our read through of Little Dorrit. It took us roughly one month and 13 days, and for her it was her first venture into Dickens. I think she liked his work, and that particular book, quite a bit. :) I'm not sure if we'll read any more in the future, although she wants to read Bleak House, so I might re-read it with her...
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Destined-To-Reign » Oct 08, 2009 9:40 am

*pops in* I'd better check on Wikipedia so I can remember which books of Dickens I've read. ;)) What, didn't you know Wiki kept a list of the books I've read? :P
The Pickwick Papers
The Adventures of Oliver Twist
The Old Curiosity Shop
A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life
David Copperfield
Bleak House
Great Expectations
Hard Times
A Tale of Two Cities
The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

(do I win the prize for most Dickens?) :P

Whew! #:-s I've read parts of Our Mutual Friend,Barnaby Rudge, and Martin Chuzzlewit, but never got around to finishing them. I really want to read Little Dorrit sometime soon, as I've heard that it's so good. :D

My favorite Dickens are David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, and Bleak House.

Kate, a lot of people like Great Expectations, but I actually prefer David Copperfield to it-it's very, very similar, but it's much more cheerful, and more satisfying, in my opinion. But then, if you prefer more melancholy books. . . ;)

I'll touch on movie versions in my next post, if anyone's curious about my experiences. I haven't actually seen all that many. . .
Destined-To-Reign
Moderator Emeritus

Postby johobbit » Oct 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Please note that this SF will close Sunday evening.
johobbit

Postby lostin1800 » Oct 09, 2009 10:25 am

I like Bleak House the best, though its really long its so interesting. :)
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby L.M. Pevensie » Oct 09, 2009 7:15 pm

I say I am a fan of Dickens although I have to admit that I've only read 3 of his books:
A Tale of Two Cities
A Christmas Carol
Oliver Twist

My real fan-dom comes from the movies :)
I've seen movie versions of:

Oliver Twist (3 versions)
Bleak House
Little Dorrit
Our Mutual Friend
David Copperfield (2 versions)
A Christmas Carol (4? 5?)
Great Expectations (2)
A Tale Of Two Cities
Nicholas Nickleby (2)
Martin Chuzzlewit

My favorite book was A Tale Of Two Cities
Favorite movie: Our Mutual Friend
Favorite hero: John Rokesmith
Favorite heroine: Esther
Favorite couple: John & Bella

Dickens had a amazing way of making me love heroes that I would normally hate, take Eugene for example, he's a cad, he makes Lizzie's life miserable, and he's unable to control himself, but somehow I just love him. I think Dickens pulls it off because his villains are so awful (e.g. Uriah Heep or Bill Sikes) that you are almost forced to like the weak hero (e.g. David Copperfield or Oliver Twist.)

My undeniably favorite part of Dickens collected works is that he always has a character that ends up unlucky in love, but generally they are still happy. Such as John Chivery, Pip, Mortimer Lightwood, Mr. Jarndyce and Mr. Pinch. What do you think? #:-s

If this Sig is by you please let me know, because I can't remember :-(

"I am going to live forever, or die trying!"
L.M. Pevensie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 09, 2009 7:46 pm

L.M.: Forgive me if I disagree, but I never saw Eugene as what you described him. I like him yes (and on that we agree), but to me, he was only a person who was aimless, wandering through life, someone who needed direction and (I believe) did not find it at home. He needed a leader, something to make his life worthwhile, and he found that ultimately in Lizzie. Compared to Mortimer, of course Eugene looks as if he has more faults and flaws, but that is only because they are two very different personalities. (Mortimer is an introvert, Eugene is an extrovert, for one thing).

Dennie: I would love to hear your thoughts on Dickens' adaptations!

Speaking of which, to anyone who has seen it, what do people think of the 2002 version of Nicholas Nickleby? (With Anne Hathaway and Romola Garai to name just two). I'm almost done reading the book and I'd like to check out a worthwhile adaptation. If the one mentioned above isn't a good one, does anyone know of any other? (I'm mainly looking for book-to-screen faithfulness, and any content that was added in that is inappropriate and noticeable).
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby 220chrisTian » Oct 09, 2009 10:34 pm

FF: I agree with you that Eugene was "aimless, wandering through life, someone who needed direction." He needed a Lizzie. I liked him. :) And I also wondered about the Hollywood version of Nicholas Nickleby. I know some didn't like it but I'm not sure why. I'd like to see it myself. :)
220chrisTian

Postby L.M. Pevensie » Oct 10, 2009 8:49 am

I also agree with your description FF and in hindsight I suppose "cad" is too strong a word for Eugene. But I do still think that in Eugene's aimless directionless wandering he was unable to control himself. He freely admitted that he would have done something he regretted if Headstone hadn't attached him. It is true that next to wonderful hard-working Mortimer his faults show easier, but that's just the point, Mortimer liked Eugene for all of his aimlessness just as the readers does, we love him because of his faults and loves when he tries to overcome them.

The 2002 version of Nicholas Nickleby was okay, from what I remember (it's been a few years :) ) I don't think I was terribly impressed with the main couple but the some of the supporting characters were magnificent. Christopher Plummer's Uncle Ralph was AMAZING. And Jamie Bell's Smike had me close to tears (okay, in tears, I admit it) :((

L.M. Pevensie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 10, 2009 7:20 pm

L.M.: Ah yes, I see what you are saying now, and I agree. (I think now, we've been agreeing all along maybe? ;)) ) You're right- as Eugene is not an evil hearted villain, readers do like him despite his faults, and can feel free too. I know sometimes I feel pity for the bad guys, but I can't actually like them. With Eugene it's different. Perhaps because he's a very human character and the journey he undergoes is something we can relate too?

Thanks for your thoughts on that particular version of Nicholas Nickleby, I appreciate them! :) If I may, there might be one or two things I'd like to ask you about in a PM, something I'm concerned about with that version, but not sure if I'd want to ask it here. Is that alright? :) Thanks!
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby L.M. Pevensie » Oct 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Isn't it wonderful to find that we agree after all? Very refreshing. ;)

Feel free to P.M. me all you want, Forever Fan :)

There is a pretty accurate review of Nicholas Nickelby at this website: www.charitysplace.com. Just type it into the search bar.

L.M. Pevensie
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous